Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dingo Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dingo Help

Hey guys

First time posting in the SCX10 section. Until now I just had Tamiya, but due to luck, I scored a Axial Dingo Kit for cheap.

Been reading about this over and under drive, and I got a couple of questions.

Firstly - What is better? Overdrive in the front? Or underdrive in the rear?

Secondly - What ratios do you guys use? According to the manual, my Dingo uses 38T/13T in the diffs. And from our local hobby shop, I can get 36T/14T and 43T/13T. So do I use the 36T/14T in the rear as underdrive?

Lastly - My Dingo is built according to the manual with the 3 link setup front and back. But I plan to buy and install that Panhard mount from eBay that moves the servo into the chassis. Would the 3 link be fine, or should I change to 4 link?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the questions...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dingo Help

Over driving the front or Under driving the rear all has more or less the same effect I gather. As most people just overdrive the front (43T/13T) that is what I will do. Best sticking to the proven method. I believe it is not advisable to do both unless you only intend to Crawl as the difference between ratios make the rear wheels kind of drag and struggle to keep up which is bad for trails.

I think if you have the CMS then 4-link will lead to less bump steer. Personally I will leave it in the axle as it gives better steering geometry. It's bad enough as it is! Although the OD'ing the front will help.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply,

This is the steering I'm thinking of purchasing:

Old 07-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I think you need the 4 link setup but then you remove one of the links to try and counter the bump steer. That is the method for the Vanquinsh Pan hard kit on the Wraith which I had once upon a time.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Here are a few more of the steering setup. From the look of it, I would say they still running the 3 link up front.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ok with the gear sets for the axles there are three different sets and they are as follows:

38T/13T (stock gears)
36T/14T (overdrive)
43T/13T (underdrive)

If you put the overdrive in the front with the stock in the rear it is also the same as putting stock in the front with underdrive in the rear. If you want even better steering you go to the extreme with overdrive in the front and underdrive in the rear but there will be a lot more tire wear. I hope this helps.

In relation to the CMS setup they have the stock y link in the top but you need to keep it plastic so it can flex. If you want to change over to alu links then you only run one link on the top to turn it into a true 3 link with panhard setup. You also have to make sure your steering link from the servo is the same length and same angle as the panhard bar from eye to eye or else you will get bump steer. Bump steer is when the axle compresses and the servo is held still you will see the steering will move but if you get all the angles correct there will be no movement other than the suspension cycle. Took me a few attempts to get this working correctly but it makes all the difference.

Cheers Jarrod
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Jarrod, That helps a lot. I think I'll just try the overdrive gears in the front for now, because this is a trail vehicle, and it will be doing quite a few miles...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have the stock gears in the front with the under drive in the rear and it steers good with a bit slower speed (mind you I'm running 80T spur, 35T motor, 18T pinion and on 3S so some good wheel speed )
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I did the over drive in the front on my Dingo. Works great. I can really tell the difference when I go from driving the Wraith (same gears f&r) to driving the dingo (od f & stk r). Of course the Dingo isn't as fast as the Wraith. My dingo was running a 35T motor on 3s geared 87-23.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Just thinking about the spur/pinion ratio, that is different too. I got this kit, complete and unbuilt, without the centre transmission. That is what the guy used out of the kit, and then sold me the rest of the kit for next to nothing. I have a Traxxas Rustler transmission I eyeballed for the Dingo, so I didn't have to spend any money to complete it. I have no idea on the spur gear, or even the internal ratio for that matter. I'll post some pics, and google search the internal ratio.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I found some info on the Rustler transmission. Basically the final ratio is 12.025, and what I can understand from the axial dingo manual, the stock ratio in the dingo is 35.22. Now that is my limit too Maths. Basically my idea was to install a 45 turn motor with a 20 tooth pinion, to the rustler transmission and see how fast or slow it is...
Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

With the panhard setup and CMS you want the axle to be able to swing slightly. A 4link can inhibit that as can the stock 3link. IMHO, do a 3 link that just comes from one side. You can probably even get away with using the 4link truss and only putting 1 link to it.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote

Dingo Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with my Dingo Smokebomb Axial SCX-10 5 04-19-2013 10:59 AM
Just got a new Tr Dingo germanauto Axial SCX-10 3 12-29-2010 03:14 PM