Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Johnny Mac's Dingo Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #1

Default Johnny Mac's Dingo Build

So my wife gave me a dingo for xmas... And here goes the build......

Packed the axles with waterproof grease. I found putting these together you really need to make sure the bearings are fully seated which required a fair amount of pressure to seat it. Also if you tighten the two half's to tight the gears grind. Took a few minutes to tweak it just right.

Shocks...

Chassis....

[/b][/b]

I decided to extend the wheel base. When I did that the servo would hit the front support between the rails. I had to rig up a new support to achieve full compression of the shocks.

Also made up a rear tray for the battery to power the winch and a place to mount the ESC

Waterproofed the Axail AE-2 with liquid electric tape

I was unhappy with my paint job on the dingo body. I found it very difficult to paint with some of the angles to achieve different colors. A single color on the body would be easy as cake, however doing the body one color and the interior another is very challenging. So... I picked up Prolines Jeep Comanche body.

Now its time for custom bumpers and roll cage.

A few decals and she will be complete...

a few decals sets her off....

Building a custom light bar

johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

Adding led head and tail lights next. And a product from Heyok to operate the light bar lights from my 3rd channel.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Johnny Mac's Dingo Build

very nice and like the front bumper, hows the dual motors more power? or does it seem to make the truck have a high COG
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Thanks. Dual motor does give me more torque. I haven't had a chance to compare it to my buddy's dingo side by side on the same angle to compare the COG. But that's something that I will have to look at.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Installed a 3rd channel switch from "Heyok" to run my light rack. Worked like a charm!

Added some scale diamond plate to the bed and got the spare tire installed.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #6

Well after the TTC this year I realized the front bumper was garbage.... I love the look of it but it caused me to get hung up on the front corner. Plus after the truck got rear ended by a fly away Stampede (thanks azuran73 ...lol) I had to build a new rear bumper.

Had a few hours last night so I built a new rear bumper. I shortened the length a little and put in two middle supports.

Old Rear...

The front I shortened the sides, cut off all the top section and created a new one. It does need a slight adjustment. Now to start painting ....

Old Front...
Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Sorry for my question but I'm new to all this... What material are you using for the bumpers and what you weld with?

VERY nice rig!!!
iFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #8

It's very easy, just like soldering. I used brake line from NAPA (it's cheap and easy to bend).
Mini pipe cutter like for cutting copper pipe is awesome for making smooth cuts. A little sandpaper to clean your joins. Get brazing flux and silver solder. I fond it very hard to find and it wasn't cheap. Use map gas and a proper map torch. It's a yellow can. I got the torch and igniter as a kit. Make sure your joint is smooth and clean. Place some flux in it and then heat. When it turns nice a red touch the solder and bammmm. Sweetness. Lol. It's nice to have one of those third hand things too. They are cheap at princess auto. I found the magnets at princess auto was awesome too for holding joints together.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #9

Old 03-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #10

Superb, if i didnt have 3 left hands, i'd give that a go
MidLifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
It's very easy, just like soldering. I used brake line from NAPA (it's cheap and easy to bend).
Mini pipe cutter like for cutting copper pipe is awesome for making smooth cuts. A little sandpaper to clean your joins. Get brazing flux and silver solder. I fond it very hard to find and it wasn't cheap. Use map gas and a proper map torch. It's a yellow can. I got the torch and igniter as a kit. Make sure your joint is smooth and clean. Place some flux in it and then heat. When it turns nice a red touch the solder and bammmm. Sweetness. Lol. It's nice to have one of those third hand things too. They are cheap at princess auto. I found the magnets at princess auto was awesome too for holding joints together.

I'm with iFROG I always wondered.......Thanks for the info! Rig looks killer! Also curious about the dual motor setup. Im in the middle of two builds and the duaks are going on one! Keep us posted on the C.O.G. would ya!
marcb527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Johnny Mac's Dingo Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny Cool Guys in Euless du4x4 Texas 6 01-28-2011 03:22 PM
Johnny Cash would have been 78 today dragit Chit Chat 22 02-27-2010 08:26 PM
Johnny Greaves Airing it out HITMAN Chit Chat 29 01-06-2010 08:13 PM