Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Project: Budget Overhaul(Pic Heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project: Budget Overhaul(Pic Heavy)

So I've had my Honcho for quite some time now, just over 3 years now to be exact, and although it's gone through a couple body and accessory variations, I thought it was time to give it a proper overhaul. My lady hooked me up with a late bday gift and so I ordered a list of things to get started. Keeping in mind that I didn't wanna spend too much money I only ordered things that I thought were necessities, for the most part anyways. The rest of the parts I'm just going to clean and repaint as necessary. So with the parts en route, I thought I do a little build thread on here as well as on Instagram. I'll be posting mostly Intagram pix on here throughout the build until the truck starts coming together, then I'll use the ol' DSLR and post up some quality shots. You can follow me on Instagram if ya want @the_justin_morris. Alrighty then, let's get this beast rolling. First I'll post up some pix of the journey the Honcho has taken so far and then onto the build. Enjoy.

This is how the truck started out in May of 2010. Just a simple paint job with a few accessories in honor of my friend who had recently passed.

I drove the truck that way for almost a year until I gave it its first overhaul/body swap around Jan. 2011. The next body I ran was the Proline 2dr JK. I used the Dingo bumpers with the shackles from a used set of the first Proline scale bumpers, can't remember the name of them, and some RC4WD goodies, as well as a custom Proline interior with a Dingo cage. This was the result.

I ran it that way for a bit and decided to cut down and fill in the sides on the front bumper.

This was one of many pix that I had sent in to several RC magazines and finally after several months of waiting, the truck made it into the Showoffs section of the Jan 2012 issue of RC driver, with a half spread.

After that run I tried cleaning the truck in the dishwasher and that resulsted in having to repaint a few chassis pieces and the wheels. And I also got a new driver and made some custom decals.

I ran the truck with the Jeep body for a while until it started to show some signs of wear and tear, plus I had already cut the fenders off of it. I decided to give the Jeep body a rest and use an old body that I had on my Wheely King crawler. Enter the Blazer phase. Oct 2011 - Present.

In Joshua Tree, California.

Now that I've taken you on a little journey it's time for the build. Granted those were not all the pix I have of the truck, but to save time and headache I just posted ones I like. You can check out the rest if you want at facebook.com/thejustinmorris. Anyways, onto the build pix, and like I said these will mostly be Intagram pix for the first few pix. As to what the truck is gonna be, you'll just have to stay tuned.

This was the condition the truck was in before I started the teardown.

Got it down to the bare chassis. A good bit of rust here and there.

Started sanding the pieces that were getting repainted. As well as checking the condition of the axles and trans.

All sanded, prepped, and ready for spray(minus the wheels) on my next level Dominos spray booth.

Got the black down, now just waiting on a wet sand and satin clear.

That's all for now kiddos. Like I mentioned, you can follow the build on here and Instagram(@the_justin_morris). Hope you guys enjoy the build.
JDeezie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Project: Budget Overhaul(Pic Heavy)

jeep looks nice what did you use to draw the door jams n body lines?
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakachille View Post
jeep looks nice what did you use to draw the door jams n body lines?
Thanks. I used a fine tip sharpie.

A small update.
Got the links primed and ready for color.

Stay tuned kids.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Couple more updates.

Got the links colored, just waiting on some sanding and clearing.

Got the frame rails, battery tray, and servo plate wet sanded, rebranded, and ready for some satin clear.

Lots more to come, stay tuned kiddos!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Just another quick update. The clear coat on the frame rails and other pieces didn't pan out. I got overzealous and sprayed too much clear at one time causing it to fog. So I had to strip the decals off and sand and reshoot the black. The only reason I wanted the clear in the first place was to give the paint a little extra protection and make the stickers permanent, but since the black is a semi-gloss and it looks good without the clear I'll just leave it at that. Should have pix of the fixed paint up soon.

In other news. I got the wheels stripped down and got them, the rear beadlock rings, and screws ready for some good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint.

Hoping to get a good bit more done before my parts show up tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Great work so far dude. I love the fact that you've used your SCX10 so much and had it so long, it's rusting. Curious about what body you going to use next...

I'm subscribed
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisbaby View Post
Great work so far dude. I love the fact that you've used your SCX10 so much and had it so long, it's rusting. Curious about what body you going to use next...

I'm subscribed
Yeah we've been through a lot together. Haven't had to replace that many parts either.

A few small updates folks.

Got the links back together.

Also got the first coat of black on the wheels, rings, and screws.

I'm making progress. Got all the rest of the chassis pieces cleaned and ready to assemble, just gotta throw some decals on the frame rails(again) and I can start getting the chassis back together while I'm waiting on my parts to show up. Stay tuned kids!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

First box has arrived, from TCSCrawlers!

New parts! DinkyRC Honcho interior and Wraith drop box(for my Project: Spitfire build) and an Axial 27T.

Hopefully the BIG box from RPP will show up soon. Now back to work. Stay tuned kids!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Update time!

Got the big box from RPP a few hours after I got the first one.

It had all these goodies inside. Proline Ridge-Line bumpers, Axial HD gear set, HeyOk light unit, Axial simple light kit(Wraith), Hot Racing 57T spur(Wraith), RR 12T pinion(Wraith), Gear Head RC beadlock rings, Axial black hub set, Proline accessories #7 & 8, screws, paint, and e-clips. Oh, and the body and accessories.

Got the final coat on the wheels, rings, and screws.

Reassembled the front end.

Got the Gear Head rings primed and ready for color.

Also got the HD gear set in the rear, got the Gear Head rings finished up, and I'm getting things back together now and should have more pix soon. Stay tuned!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Last update for the night!

Got the color down on the Gear Head rings earlier.

Got the HD gears in the rear and got it reassembled. Ooh dat ass.

Put the chassis back together. It's still in roller status, need to mount the HeyOK light kit and other electronics. I threw in the 27T for mockup, I'll probably take it back out before I'm done and break it in. I'll put the front fender wells back in once I get the body ready for mockup.

Decided to mockup the wheels, rings, and possible tire combo. Was gonna us the Flat Irons but since the truck will be more open in the wheel wells I think the Claws will be a nice fit. Just need to give em a bath.

That's all for now kiddos. Stay tuned.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #11

Awesome build have you picked a body yet? Ive always built Orange scalers, really like the orange on all the links.
93flareside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93flareside View Post
Awesome build have you picked a body yet? Ive always built Orange scalers, really like the orange on all the links.
Thanks. Yeah I've got the body laying in the box that came with all the other parts, but it's a surprise.

A couple updates.

Didn't work on the truck much over the weekend but I'm back at it today.

Mounted up the rings on the spare tire/wheel the other night.

Started off today finishing up the rest of the wheels and tires. Got them mounted up and even added a little more detail to them.

Should have more done by the end of today. Stay tuned kiddos.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

great to see these SCX 10's hold up for so long....I jut got into crawlers, cant wait to see the finished product
pvo_srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Good stuff man. I like the orange body.

I'm Gavin Sexton from the Atlanta RC Rock Crawlers page on Facebook.

Here's a link to my build thread: My ever-evolving SCX10
ProjectSCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

really dig that jeep you had. thinking on changing from my yota body to the 2 door jeep myself. did you have to shorten the frame at all? the axles look like they fit perfect under the fenders did you do anything with the axles or it just fits that way on the jeep?
screwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwed View Post
really dig that jeep you had. thinking on changing from my yota body to the 2 door jeep myself. did you have to shorten the frame at all? the axles look like they fit perfect under the fenders did you do anything with the axles or it just fits that way on the jeep?
Thanks. I didn't have to shorten the frame, just the rear links. That body runs the same wheelbase as the Dingo version of the SCX.

Also a little update. I'm still working on the truck. I'm gonna have to repaint the rings due to the paint starting to chip. Also I've been throwing around ideas for the back half of the truck, in regards to the layout of scale stuff. I should have more pix up soon. Been raining here for the past couple of days so painting has been outta the question. Still need to order the paint for the body as well, just taking my time at this point. Stay tuned kids.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looks good! Like the orange links and rings
SAL45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #18

When you had the blazer body mounted was there any link adjusting you had to do or did the body fit the dingo or honcho wheelbase pretty good?
93flareside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93flareside View Post
When you had the blazer body mounted was there any link adjusting you had to do or did the body fit the dingo or honcho wheelbase pretty good?
The Blazer body has almost the identical wheelbase as the Jeep. So I just left the links the same as they were on the Jeep. With the claws and stock springs I would get just a little body rub at really steep angles.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

looks great! love the orange!
winner is offline   Reply With Quote

Project: Budget Overhaul(Pic Heavy) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My junkyard TA01/02 project....(pic heavy) ToTheMAXXcrawler 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 12-20-2014 07:02 PM
Project Spitfire(Pic Heavy) JDeezie82 Axial Wraith 51 07-31-2014 06:08 AM
I might as well have one too (pic heavy!) CAPCbass Axial Wraith 23 08-16-2013 01:04 AM
Project 1.9 Overhaul :Weekend FJ40 Cruiser Desert Rc 1.9 Scale Rigs 45 07-31-2013 09:33 AM
Project Offroad WorkForce Dually Pic Heavy TheManCave RC4WD Trail Finder 2 28 04-22-2013 11:54 AM