Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: water proof ride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default water proof ride

I bought a Traxxas XL-5 speed controller and a traxxas Digital high torque servo..both waterproof; My question now is do I need to do anything to the battery to water proof it or is it ok to get wet/submerged????

Also bought a 17t and 16t motor pinion gear for a little more torque.

And also some deans connectors for the esc to battery hook up.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: water proof ride

I forgot...What about the receiver?..is it safe or do I need to do anything special with it?..Also what to do with the axles?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i dont do anything to my batterys and they get wet everytime as for the rx i would either plast-dip it or like i do put it in a balloon then cable tie the top then put some sort of sealant around the top to stop water getting in as for the axles pull them apart and grease the bearing up with marine grease it will help them stop rusting it should also help keep the water out if you put some grease on the outside bearings and if you have any holes in the axle casing like the four on top the front casing get four screws just long enough and put them in
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #4

If your running lipos other than max amps batteries there not waterproof and can be sensitive to large amounts of water.i wrap the seam of the lipo case with electrical tape and silicone around where the wires come out.if your running nimh batteries no worries, go on and bury her deep lol.as for the axles marine grease works well.also if your not running 4 link you'll want to plug the holes on top of the axle housings with screws or silicone.the rx can be double wrapped in a ballon just take the neck of the balloon twist it and ziptie around it well.
scx-chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

Double wrapped balloon for the receiver works great! I've had my Jeep fully submerged and had no issues to speak of.
Red04Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Don't forget to hit the servo with some grease as well, the tips on here and the axial blog should help you out. I like to use marine grease for everything, hasn't let me down yet
dc6287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #7

In case you're not familiar with what dc6278 is talking about -

Axial Racing - How to Waterproof your SCX10
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scx-chevy View Post
If your running lipos other than max amps batteries there not waterproof and can be sensitive to large amounts of water.i wrap the seam of the lipo case with electrical tape and silicone around where the wires come out.if your running nimh batteries no worries, go on and bury her deep lol.as for the axles marine grease works well.also if your not running 4 link you'll want to plug the holes on top of the axle housings with screws or silicone.the rx can be double wrapped in a ballon just take the neck of the balloon twist it and ziptie around it well.
ive been running turnigy nano-tech lipos for over a year and ive had no problems with them being in water they still charge up with no problems either
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post
ive been running turnigy nano-tech lipos for over a year and ive had no problems with them being in water they still charge up with no problems either

I've not had any issues with my hardcase Dynamite battery either. It's been submerged a couple of times.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scx-chevy View Post
What experience has shown you that lipos are sensitive to water? Max amps is known for making lots of claims. Some of them are less than accurate. Each cell of a lipo is sealed. That's why when gasses build up in them they puff. If they weren't sealed they wouldn't puff. The only possible benefit to a "water proof lipo" is if you were operating in salt water the "water proof lipo" would in theory be more resistant to corrosion of the terminals inside the pack. Regardless if a lipo is advertised as water proof or not the wire and plugs would quickly corrode in a salt water environment so therefore "water proof lipos" are imo a gimmick.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The servo is the traxxas digital hi torque that says its 100%water proof...so I still need to take precautions on this?..was hoping was an install and forget as with the traxxas XL-5 waterproof ESC.

The batteries im using are Gens Ace 4000mah 2s batteries which use the external banana plug hook ups for the wires..i may try a balloon on the battery to be safe...For some reason I just picture if water gets between the terminals positive and negative terminals and flow to each other it causing a short. ...and for the receiver I like the balloon method...Thanks for all your help.

Does anything need to be done to the axles at all..ive seen where some take them apart and fill the housing with grease..common method?

I really don't want to tear the truck all apart as of yet..im going to do minor mods/upgrades keeping the truck as near to stock as I can

SO far im just removing the outside shock spacers and changing the motor pinion gear as upgrades.

Thanks again everyone..Much appreciated
Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
The servo is the traxxas digital hi torque that says its 100%water proof...so I still need to take precautions on this?..was hoping was an install and forget as with the traxxas XL-5 waterproof ESC.

The batteries im using are Gens Ace 4000mah 2s batteries which use the external banana plug hook ups for the wires..i may try a balloon on the battery to be safe...For some reason I just picture if water gets between the terminals positive and negative terminals and flow to each other it causing a short. ...and for the receiver I like the balloon method...Thanks for all your help.

Does anything need to be done to the axles at all..ive seen where some take them apart and fill the housing with grease..common method?

I really don't want to tear the truck all apart as of yet..im going to do minor mods/upgrades keeping the truck as near to stock as I can

SO far im just removing the outside shock spacers and changing the motor pinion gear as upgrades.

You are looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Why do you think fresh water would cause a short at the battery but not at the motor?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post

my nano-techs use the same banana and bullet plug set up and they get drowned at every chance i get. my mate even put his scx10 under 3 foot of water and it still worked after he drove it out and he was using the 5800mah 2s nano tech with the same connectors and nigels_world is right dont take a lipo near salt water unless you want to kill it
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Glad I read this!! I play around Salt water at one of my spots near the Great Salt Lake....
Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
You are looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Why do you think fresh water would cause a short at the battery but not at the motor?
I read a tremendous amount of information before taking my SCX10 anywhere near water. In all honesty, I know that driving through water is okay and won't harm the motor, but I don't understand why.

So I can see the OP is coming from. I kind of doesn't make sense with the whole not mixing electricity and water thing that i've been ingrained with since I was a child.

water proof ride - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water proof? jseelye Newbie General 2 03-12-2013 01:38 PM
Water Proof Me Please PileDriver Newbie General 13 04-21-2011 01:06 PM
What to water proof and how 0lllllll0 Axial SCX-10 8 12-03-2010 03:38 PM
Water Proof J-Sizzle Newbie General 3 01-20-2010 09:14 PM
water proof ? CHEETAHRON Newbie General 3 03-16-2009 01:25 PM