Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Brushed or brushless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Brushed or brushless

Hello all.
Im just getting on scx10 running again it the old kit version that came with the truck body. Looking for a new esc motor combo but not which to use brushed or brushless. Iv been looking at a tekin fxr with a 35t brushed motor and a speed passion reventon with maybe a 17.5t brushless motor.I know the tekin is for crawling but the speed passion has a crawlet profile on it.Also I could use the speed passion for other cars as well with its many different profiles but not sure how good it would be in the scx10 and what its drag brakes would be like.Has anybody used this one in a scx10 at all and how did it work.Is a 17.5t brushless motor the same as a 35t brushed motor.They both work out at the same price for each esc motor combo.
Thanks Paul.
Paul1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Brushed or brushless

I have seen brushless and brushed on sx10 crawling away, honestly the brushed seems just as good and the tekin combo is actually quite good for the scx10. Brushless always seems like a lot of overkill for a crawler, unless your really looking for speed on flat areas.
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I say it's all up to you, how and where your mostly going to be running it. A good censored motor esc combo can be silky smooth and have great wheel speed.You'll just need to control your trigger finger. But on the other hand. A brushed setup can be nice and smooth but also be water proofed a lot easier. But need more maintenance.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

get the tekin rs pro & tekin roc 412.
twistedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
RCC Addict

If you mostly do crawling (slow) then you want to go with a brushed motor.

If you mostly do trail running (fast) and want to so some crawling, then go with a sensored brushless motor.

The SCX10 was designed to run brushed motors so when you run brushless you will break parts such as transmission gears, drive shafts, diff gears/lockers.

A brushless setup is going to cost more than a brushed Motor and ESC so you need to have a budget large enough to buy the brushless combo and to buy the upgraded parts. Motor, ESC and upgrade parts you could be looking at the $500.00 range.

If I was going to start a SCX10 build today, I would use a HH TorqueMaster 35T or CrawlMaster 16T with HH BR-XL esc. This would be in the $170 range.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply. Im going to order up a tekin fxr 35t combo.Im in the uk and want to order this from here.The hh do look good but means ordering from overseas and I can order my tekin tomorrow and it will be delivered the next day.Iv always used brushed motors so will stick with them.Used to run my scx10 a while ago but with a very basic esc and 20t motor so looking forward to trying drag brakes.Is it a good idea to order the hotwire pc interface for setting it or will it be ok without it.
Thanks Paul
Paul1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

You can program almost everything without. I only use hotwire in fxr to use a curve in throthle, but a lot of people did not like that curve.
arny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Location: If assholes could fly this place would be a airport

yes they are not steering you wrong.. i would go brushed with rock crawler... motors are cheap and so are the esc...
SmokeScx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Cheap cheap

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...+car+brushless

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #10

ive gotten some good things from hobby king lol almost all my hell batteries are from there and out of over a dozen only had one puff up but that was when i was learning how to use my i charger
s.p.crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #11

Im running a novak goat 3s with sensored brushless ballistic 18.5t and i like the way it crawl, with rc4wd r2 tranny and 20t pinion. But i wanna try HH BR-XL with 35t torquemaster and see the difference
fourspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushed or brushless - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushed vs. Brushless goodvibessa Newbie General 3 01-25-2011 04:39 AM
Brushed or Brushless?!? shadowrejects Non Crawler RC's 11 04-24-2010 03:55 PM
Brushed vs Brushless griz2575 Newbie General 9 04-13-2009 07:06 AM
Novak Releases "The Goat" brushed/brushless esc and sintered brushless motor Rockpiledriver Electronics 70 09-26-2007 05:59 PM