Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: steering issuse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default steering issuse

k so Iv got an issue with my steering

here it is at rest with servo power on, no problem here

but heres the issue; I am able to turn the wheels by hand, without the servo moving (it shouldn't without controller input)

I wouldn't think my links are bending the tie rod is VP and the steering link is 8-32 threaded rod. but yet the steering moves. my servo isn't anything super powered but its 220oz at 6volts. so it should be good enough.

please help.
TNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: steering issuse

Todd I think it needs a pan hard rod to stop the side to side shift. also as the suspension cycles it will play havac with the steeringalso you need to set low.my wroncho is low ride hieght.

Last edited by zonkerd; 09-01-2013 at 11:09 AM.
zonkerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
RCC Addict

What gets me is if the right knuckle is moving to the left to make a left turn. It has to move the steering link to the left.There's no way around it. The steering link doesn't change length.meaning it doesn't get shorter when turning left or longer turning right. It stays the same size so it should change position on the servo no matter what. I can't wait to see what the problem is with this one.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Remove one of the upper links and put a panhard bar on it to stop the front axle from moving side to side as mentioned. The stock links have enough give to them to allow the axle to shift side to side rather than actually turning the wheels as it is supposed to.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, a panhard bar is required to locate the axle laterally under the chassis. Without it, as you steer the chassis is trying to push itself away from the direction you're steering.

Also as was mentioned, slam that thing
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Move your steering and watch your shocks, they move side to side? That is a good indication that you need a panhard bar.
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

fisrt off, my name isn't Todd....

secondly nothing, absolutely nothing on my rig is "stock" so my links arnt flexing, they are all homemade 8-32 rod with 1/4" brake line over them.

now I know convention says "I don't have a panhard therefore that is my problem" but my axle isn't shifting side to side. so this just inst my problem.

the problem is that I can grab the tires and turn them without the servo moving at all... all the linkage moves as tho I turned the wheels except the steering link, I mean the one end gets closer to the axle as it would if I turned but the servo side isn't moving.

id really rather not build a panhard mount and test it just to find out it still does this. I mean I can accept that a panhard bar might solve some problems but I just don't see how it will solve this.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Well great you know we (those that have built many, many rigs) are wrong so you don't need our advice on how to solve your problem.

I will give you a hint though, I have an scx with ar60's running a 3 link with panhard and I don't have your issue.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I wasn't tryint to come off like an ass... sorry if it seemed that way. I was just saying I don't understand how it would fix my issue.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Start with the basics.

The tires are turning and the servo is remaining static, yes?

You say the axle isn't moving side to side when the wheels are turned?

That movement has to be going somewhere. My guess is those are the small black zero ackerman steering arms so there isn't much side to side movement going on at the axle end of the drag link. It is moving forward when turning the wheels to the right and backward as turned to the left due to the steering arms. I run the red VP arms so the tie rod/drag link attach a bit farther forward and outwards so they move side to side.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I was tryig to look closely at your truck. It looks to me that your upper links are not triangulated. However, doing what others have suggested by using a panhard bar helps! Triangulated 4 link helps center the axle between the chassis rails, similar effect but different to what a panhard bar does. I currently, on my Jeep JK i still use the stock 3 link front and 4 link rear with the servo mounted to the axle. I figure that its a headache to go through all this panhard stuff.
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Look at his 3rd pic....he manually steers to the left forcing the axle to the right. Look at the shocks.....the lower shocks are pushing to the right. All the torque of your servo is trying to push the tires and the axle, which results in almost no steering. I'm going to agree and say time for a panhard bar.
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

ok.... well looks like I will just try a panhard bar. I was really hoping I could fix this without one.

I know they are supposed to be the same angle. but do the panhard and steering link have to be the same length too?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwblue00 View Post
Look at his 3rd pic....he manually steers to the left forcing the axle to the right. Look at the shocks.....the lower shocks are pushing to the right. All the torque of your servo is trying to push the tires and the axle, which results in almost no steering. I'm going to agree and say time for a panhard bar.

I was noticing that too but what really made me think it's the steering arms is the second vs fourth pic. You can see the amount of side to side movement is barely more than the for & aft movement of the end of the drag link.

Agreed the rig would highly benefit from a panhard or simply a axle mounted servo.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

i had the same problem try shimming ur steering arm so that it is more parallel with the steering link i run a cms with no pan hard and had a problem with it till i moved my arm down on the servo side and brought my knuckle side up
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNorton View Post
ok.... well looks like I will just try a panhard bar. I was really hoping I could fix this without one.

I know they are supposed to be the same angle. but do the panhard and steering link have to be the same length too?
Yes, they don't have to be mounted at the exact same points but they should be the same length and run at the same angle. It also helps if they are as close to level as possible at ride height so the side to side motion is minimized.

steering issuse - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Idea for scaler steering... Need ideas for building a steering box. JavelinSST390 General Scale Talk 25 05-14-2015 02:32 PM
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM
may have a issuse please check it out team savage Newbie General 1 02-26-2010 11:33 AM
Hot Racing Steering knuckles - more steering than the original plastic ones? Tomy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-16-2008 11:26 AM