Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: foff dingo build rec's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Part 1-Just finished the kit build.
My goal was fast and waterproof.
Castle sidewinder3 with a 4600 kV 4 pole.
Savox 208 waterproof servo.
Axial tx/rx from my crawler parts.
6 led light kit.
Traxxas big bore shocks and springs.

2s is fun but tough on tranny, 6 cell nimh 5000 mah good for current build but not foff, waiting for some more drivetrain upgrades before 3s.

Part 2 ordered
Axial aluminum chubs, knuckles and lock outs.
36/14 HD bevel sets on both ends, might keep stock in rear.
Locked metal transmission gears.
Aluminum servo horn.
Assortment of pinions to tune in temps.
Jeep Cherokee body, I like the dingo cage but the boxy front end bugs me.

Part 3-thinking, feedback appreciated.
I don't think I want to run beadlocks given the power system and the tires won't be paddles as I live in Missouri where sand is rare. I would like to stay 1.9 for scale look and use xo1 tire glue. From there no clue which tires and wheels to go with but have not looked very hard.
I am thinking about gearing the front diff for better turn radius and leaving the rear locked.
Spectrum waterfroof RX for my DX3.
Upgrade the shafts, probably MIP.
Switch to a 4 point suspension.
Tune in springs and shock oil.

Last edited by THX_138; 10-07-2013 at 11:56 PM.
therealrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: foff dingo build rec's

FYI the TMaxx/Emaxx big bore shocks that some on here claim to direct fit are wrong. 7/16" internal spacer required to prevent any binding. Stock for now until I fabricate some from rubber tubing, shorter springs or it will be a pogo stick, and a light weight oil. Still quality shocks for a great price and look forward to putting them back on. Much smoother.

On a good note freed up the train some and... 2s wow! Just shy of a full back flip in grass with a punch, that's going to 60-80% punch control in castle link. Dropping pinion 2. Low speed torque was great, a little coggy but better than I expected and that isn't the purpose here.

Kit problem, wishbone link to axle are popping like crazy with the torque, nothing a couple metal balls, m3 button heads and thick shims didn't fix.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Sorry, this is serving as my first build journal so lots of replies to myself.

Bender build ideas...bta steer, side mount servo, flipped tranny, batt front mounted. Linkage bend for strain. Front wraith extension.

(edit) Grrr...what "structure" is required for vid? (end)

First test runs, sorry I suck at driving and filming at the same time, 6 cell nimh. Thoughts following:

Good power, happy with the sw3 combo, looking forward to 3s after drivetrain buildup
CoG - battery relocated
Knuckle weights to keep wheel spin
Forget scale and go 2.2's (my ridgecrest crawler bumps right through those rocks, didn't expect it to compete well there but some more clearance will help)
look for negative offset wheels to widen stance (Pede fronts with Mashers?)

Part 2.5 - Can't resist ordering RC4WD's AX2 2 speed tranny. Metal transmission gears will have to go into the AX10.

Last edited by THX_138; 10-07-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

I've heard good things about that trans... should work great in a gofast scx10
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Some tweaking before the parts get delivered.
2.2's I had laying around, taller posts needed, cut off turns in front and rear bumpers, moved battery tray and noticable better balance.

had to hack up the body but Jeep Cherokee coming.

Then I saw my 2wd Pede rear offset with masher note, had em laying around.

stance difference, like that! (I don't like slowing down to turn )

still got minimal rub at full articulation, but deal with that when new body ready.

making friends with its crawler sib, it'll be asking for some tow's over the roughest stuff.

Just checked and my Tower order (part 2) on truck for delivery today.

Part 2.75- 1/16 revo vxl esc blew on series 2 x 2s series connection so it is going to get the sidewinder3 due to small size. 120a waterproof EZRUN ordered for the Dingo. Wanted XERUN but waterproof is still a must.

Last edited by THX_138; 10-07-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ithink the sidewider is rated for 3s. so 2x2s series connection pushes that to 4s? might be alittle much.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravebane525 View Post
Ithink the sidewider is rated for 3s. so 2x2s series connection pushes that to 4s? might be alittle much.
The micro VXL certainly thought so! This way if I ever want to drop in a sub 3000kv 1/8 scale on 4s I can. Gonna need some good tire glue!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

am still confused lol. maybe I looked up an old version but the sidewinder is rated for 12v? 3s is 11.sumin 4s is 14.sumin?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

no you are right on the sidewinder, it is in the dingo now but moving to a mini revo, that car vxl system got the 2x2s which was .2v over capacity, worked for a good while but caught up to me finally. Since it needs a new esc it is taking the sw3 because it is a small esc for the small car. Didn't want to cheat the dingo so it got the EZRUN with less programming but more capacity. My fault not very clear at all.

What do you think about the mashers? In my experience they are one of the best for Missouri mud but straying from the foff concept. Paddles just dont make sense around here unless I want to do a lot of hydroplaning.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ah. I'm putting a holmes brxl in my dingo this weekend. only brushed but lost of options on programming battery and motor (as long as you stay brushed). I got a series connector and am gonna toss 2x2s lipos on it just to see how it works lol. will run my servo off the rec for now since it has a good internal BEC untill I can get an external one to rire for the servo.

was gonna get the sidewinder but would never use the brushless option (less it was sensored) and the brxl is programmable with castle link goes up to 6x with no 550 motor limits.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravebane525 View Post
ah. I'm putting a holmes brxl in my dingo this weekend...
Nice! I'll have to make a note of that one for future consideration. I have been a pretty loyal Castle/Novak/Traxxas VXL(cause they only sell rtr) guy but I have heard so many praise the EZRUN's I figured why not give it a shot at that price.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Upgraded the axles so late last night threw in a 3s to see how it did, spun those old mashers right off the wheels...time to go tire and extra strong glue shopping.

Last edited by therealrsr; 09-06-2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealrsr View Post
Upgraded the axles so late last night threw in a 3s to see how it did, spun those old mashers right off the wheels...time to go tire and extra strong glue shopping.
Glue is not going to hold up my friend. Get some Proline sand paws and clamp them into some bead locks.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Ugh, you just wrenched my plans...and thanks for doing it! I have an xo-1 and think you might be wrong, but will do some more research given your comment. My less than great opinion of beadlocks was formed early in their popularity, but the axial vanquish weight compatible composite wheels have held the sedonas with no issues on my crawler. So probably time to revisit that opinion. Thanks again.

Yeah on a go fast build I think I'd prefer to minimize the wheel weight. Time will tell.

Given the above, I still need cornering stability. Moa not practical for this build. Looking for other ideas on dropping the cog. Thanks!

Last edited by THX_138; 10-08-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Finally ordered the wp spectrum 3 ch rx and a set of differential gears, pins, orings and gasket for the front. I debated the second item for a while but as this evolves I need the better turn radius for where it will be bashing and thrashing. The Proline trenchers on 2.8's are definately growing on me for this truck, but my 4x4 Pede is pissed being back in talons.

Both ends going 4 link. Rear being extended ~.5 inch. Done with the three point troubles.
Need to put the limiters in the emaxx big bores and mount them inverted, everyone seems to praise the stock, I can't figure out why.
Solder up the EZRUN with a trx connector and get it planted.
I am going with the floating spline 3 part shafts and see how they hold up before buying MIP.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Weekend opportunity to get a few things done. The EZRUN system was soldered and installed. The Emaxx shocks had internal limiters installed, 30 wt and new springs. Metal transmission gears installed (delay with the two speed). Standing backflip on a 2s 5700 mah. Still some changes to go but pretty happy. The new combo has low end torque but isn't all that happy going slow, but then again that was the idea here and the 2 speed should help some. It has pretty good attitude in the air despite any real balancing effort yet. Biggest issue to be dealt with is still cornering stability, just don't want to weight down those wheels...

Old 09-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Geared the front differential. I used a heavy locking silicone oil, but because the shafts lock in to the diff, vs. outdrives, it was difficult to pack it in like I prefer to do. Also the o-rings from axial suck. I swapped the inner for some traxxas I had laying aroung. The outer orings have no hope of staying seated so I just left the crappy ones on.

Huge difference in turn radius and improved turn stability I will take down my throw and u the response curve. Good way to deal with what I considered a major annoyance of the rig for my intended purpose, a fast ass trailer/climber. Major crawling limitation but I have my ridgecrest for that.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Last piece of waterproof electronics, and fortunately it rained here last night I still need to balloon the led control board but a baggie and zip tie worked for a short term rig.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Forgot to list a change I made. I have a Ridgecrest with wraith alluminum links installed so I used the stock rear reversed for the SCX10. Extended wheel base about 1/2", provided 4 point in the rear, clocked the axle just slightly improving shaft angle and helped a little with stability. I'll replace the lower straight ones with better option, but I like the high clearance on the upper plastic stock. There is a machined option from axial and vp but better places to put that cash.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Stripped the damn savox servo....grrrr

foff dingo build rec's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where the Foff am I gonna foff build ctrwannabe Formula Offroad 8 11-30-2012 07:37 PM
First FOFF build banditrc Formula Offroad 10 05-02-2012 09:12 PM
I want to build a FOFF ( Ax-10 ) West Cork Basher Formula Offroad 4 10-14-2011 03:09 PM
Going to build foff need help Motomeyhem Formula Offroad 2 08-03-2011 12:39 AM