Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: flex in the transmission?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default flex in the transmission?

ok my rig is still mostly stock far as I can tell. I got it as a pile of parts so it ranges from well used to fairly new. I'm still working out the bugs but this one has me stumped.

there is flex somewhere that lets my spur gear and pinion move apart under torque ant the pinion just spins against the gears. this is one of the 2 major problems I see in the rig and I need to get it fixed. either I have to mesh the gears so tight that it overheats my motor or they shift and the pinion spins with me just holding the rig in place.

the other problem is an easy fix but causing alot of issues. just need to get me some mip or punisher driveshafts.

oh yea, axial electronics, 27t axial disposable motor 2s lipo. no weight in the wheels.

Last edited by Gravebane525; 09-04-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: flex in the transmission?

Sounds like the motor mount plate is flexing? Or the screws that hold the motor mount plate to the trans are loose?

Top shaft bearings good? All the correct spacers in there?

Spur gear assembly all tight?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

yea the mesh stays correct when I go slow or when I gun it it still looks good. but if the wheels bind just alittle the gears separate. I can easily hold the rig in place and make it happin. I was going over and between 2 rocks, a spot that should be easy, but it bound the front wheels enough for the gears to separate. makes a loud noise when it does it.. also makes the same kind of noise if it rolls and a spinning wheel all a sudin gets traction on something.

right now I have no idea whats causeing it, so I'll have to check all ideas when I get home tonight. at this point any ideas that I can look into are good lol. I'm about ready to buy a aluminum trans case and heavy duty motor mount. but with so little actual power it just seams like something else is wrong.

the motor mount is questionable, not sure what it is but it doesn't look stock.

also I should note that the transmission that came in my bucket of parts is fixed, has no slipper on it. that and the motor mount are the only differences I can see between it and my ridgecrest transmission apart from the d drive and the pin drive.

Last edited by Gravebane525; 09-04-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #4

It's sounds like you have a motor bolt hole striped or close to it. The motor mount is metal so I don't think it would flex. Unless the one linkage bolt on the link that at the back of the motor is to long and is pushing on the motor case. That may cause that to happen.
cscraw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
RCC Addict

As Szczerba said, I would pull the transmission apart and make sure the spacers are in place. Can you grab the spur gear shaft and move it up and down/side to side?
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Do you have washers on the motor mount screws? Threadlock? If the plate is secure to the trasmission and the spur shaft has no wiggle or bend it would seem your motor is sliding out.
therealrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

there are no washers there, no threadlock yet either, but I've not found the screws being loose yet. after they slip apart to let the pinion spin after you let off the power they most often slip back together and mesh up again. sometimes the teeth line up to keep the gears apart but alittle gas and they shift back together.

when I get home I'll take the transmission apart and compare it to my ridgecrest to see if I can find anything other then the slipper missing.

I wonder if I need to crank down more on the screws that go thru the transmission case into the motor mount. I had backed them off just slightly because when I cranked down on them the case seamed to be binding the gears inside.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Also, make sure your spur gear is not damaged.

Transmission assembly starts on page 20
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...-ax10-artr.pdf
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

man thanks a ton for that. I spent hours trying to find an explosion of the axles one weekend before giving up. gonna hafta save that link, can find almost everything in folder.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Are you sure it's slipping on the spur. If it is you would most likely have to change that spur out cause the metal pinion will eat it alive
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

got home to late to try and figure this out. but yes I'm sure the pinion slipping on the spur. I've watched the 2 part and the pinion spin and the spur not. replacing the spur is in the plans, but I want to get the flex figured out first.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I think we need to see a pic of that spur and pinion. Sounds to me like the teeth are rounded or something causing slipping. If everything is tight there is no possible way it can be twisting.
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

ok broke it apart and looked at it this morning. the output gear is missing 1 screw and there is no spacer inside of it. the 2 holes that are closer to the middle of the car are stripped. the spur gear is stock and is in good shape exvept for the one spot that looks like the pinion wore down in my testing.

tonight I'll grab my spare tranny and test its screw holes then see if I can scavenge any parts from it. I already know the output shafts, hoping to find atleast 1 tiny screw in there and the spacer. the reason I didn;t use that one is because the seller said it had slop in it. I may just swap out the inner gears and run with that one.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

make sure u replace the spur before u test the rebuilt tranny. a spur with a flat spot on it will always give u the same symptoms that you've already got. b/c it will roll around to that spot and then the pinion will just spin to its heart's desire. I mean moving fast enough it might roll by that section occasionally but no every time.
TNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

the spare tranny has another spur on it with a slipper, and I believe there is another spur in the bag of parts that came with it. if neither of these look good I can get something from the lhs. really thinking about ordering an aluminum trans case and a 4 point bwd motor plate. I've got a heavy hand and it won't take long before I strip out the holes in a new plastic trans case.

its hard to see the flat spot unless you are looking at the teeth on the edge. it only flattened the middle part of the gear so from the front and back the gear still looks great lol.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

id recommend the axial tranny kit AX30487 (Axial Racing - AX10 Locked Transmission Set) its the one I run, and its never given me a problem. unless your running some ridiculously overpowered 1/8 scale system your not going to need all that alum. I mean if you've already got most the parts you wouldn't need the complete set but, their tranny is damn near perfect.
TNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Have you considered a 2 speed replacement tranny? RC4WD, Vaterra Twin Hammer's, Traxxas Summit's. It'll run you more $ but most of those who have installed them say they will never go back. Just helping you explore all options before taking the plunge, I ordered the axial metal gears set and then decided to go 2 speed. Fortunately I have an AX10 so I dont have to make it an ebay loss.
therealrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

ok the "spare" transmission is junk. I'm trying to salvage the outputs but the bearings are seziezed onto them and I cant get them off. looks like just about everything goign into the tranny was threadlocked with CA glue. looked like half of the transmission was glued shut also, I had to break it open.

I've not thought about a diferent tranny, rather stick with something resembleing stock for now. any upgrades I do could pass onto the ridgecrest.

EDIT: finaly got the bearing off the outputs. took soaking them in some degreaser some shock oil and then forcing a wrench in under it.

got the transmission rebuilt. tried to tighetn the screws up between the trans and the motor mounting plate but this does cause binding inside the transmission. one of the reasons I want the aluminum one os to be able to mount the motor plate securely with out worrying about the plastic warping.

will see how it handles this weekend, still needs a bit of work before I'll be able to test it (got the pin outputs like I wanted but my RCscrewz screw kit failed me! no pin grubs in the scx10 or the ridgecrest)

Last edited by Gravebane525; 09-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravebane525 View Post
ok the "spare" transmission is junk. I'm trying to salvage the outputs but the bearings are seziezed onto them and I cant get them off. looks like just about everything goign into the tranny was threadlocked with CA glue. looked like half of the transmission was glued shut also, I had to break it open.

I've not thought about a diferent tranny, rather stick with something resembleing stock for now. any upgrades I do could pass onto the ridgecrest.

EDIT: finaly got the bearing off the outputs. took soaking them in some degreaser some shock oil and then forcing a wrench in under it.

got the transmission rebuilt. tried to tighetn the screws up between the trans and the motor mounting plate but this does cause binding inside the transmission. one of the reasons I want the aluminum one os to be able to mount the motor plate securely with out worrying about the plastic warping.

will see how it handles this weekend, still needs a bit of work before I'll be able to test it (got the pin outputs like I wanted but my RCscrewz screw kit failed me! no pin grubs in the scx10 or the ridgecrest)
You need new tranny bearings, slipper or not does NOT matter, older Axial motor plates are very thin and not much material around mounting holes....they flex! Buy the HD motor mount plate!

East End Machining motor plate, nice thick sweet motor plate that shouldn't flex like the stockers do:
Eastendmachining.com

OR

SuperShafty AX10 Ultimate Motor Plate (same as SCX-10)
AX10 "ULTIMATE" Motor Plate - Super Shafty
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

the bearings I'm using are decent ones, as far as I can tel. spin well and came off freely. the ones seized to the outputs in the spare are already trashed.

yea I'm lookin at getting one of the bwd 4 point motor plates and the HR alum tranny case.

flex in the transmission? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon Fiber Transmission Covers for VP XR10 Transmission Housing. Tomy Axles, Trannys, T-case 4 01-20-2013 07:48 AM
Axizl Transmission VS Wheely King Transmission Tonelock HPI Wheely King 13 09-03-2008 12:39 PM