Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Poison spyder bumper issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Poison spyder bumper issue

What kind of magnet did you use? There are a couple of magnet types that comes to mind that I would try out:

1) Go to your local hardware store and check out the catch magnets. They are used to prevent cabinet doors from swinging out on their own. They come with a metal plate and magnet. I think they go for about $1 each. Downside they aren't really that strong. Maybe grab pair just to double up the effect.

or

2) Get a magnetic aquarium glass cleaner. These are very strong as they designed to hold up a magnet on the outside of 3/8" thick glass. I assume you may not need to take the actual magnet out of the plastic housing to make it effective. The only downside to these are the can be pricey over $20 in some cases.
csb510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I used a small round neodymium magnets. It came in a six pack from Harbor Freight for $3. I'm going to let the CA dry overnight before I test it.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Oh ok. You should be better off since neodymium magnets are stronger than the ones I mentioned.
csb510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

The magnet idea was a fail. Even the neodymium magnet couldn't hold the tire carrier close to the body. I noticed that the plastic on the poison spyder bumper is much softer than the stock dingo bumper. If the new bumper was molded from a more reinforced nylon blend it may hold up to the tires weight better. For now I am still trying to find a way to brace the carrier that will allow the swing out tire function to still operate.

Last edited by Elmo; 09-12-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Im stumped on this problem. I fear that i may have to build a brace to connect the bumper ro the frame similar to what Buster had before. I am not too keen on that idea since the brace ia visible once the bumper is installed. Is there anything that can be done to stiffen up the bumper, including the mounting posts?
Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I know money doesn't grow on trees but rc4wd makes a metal one that will most likely work better......seems like.this is a symptom of it being plastic....so the 2 options would be spend time engineering a solution or buy a metal one that doesn't sag

Sent from my PI39100 using Tapatalk
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Just drill a hole in the body. That is how it is on the JK kits and I know it sounds nuts, but you're really never going to be using the tire carrier in the open position. Ever. You may for a photo or two but that's it. Mount it semi permanently and then you only need to open it when the body comes off.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

You could try to attach a tube to the body that has a inside diameter just larger than the tire carrier. Then tap 1 side and attach to body, while drilling 1 hole for body clip to attach to the tire carrier. Maybe reinforce the body with a piece of lexan in that area. Shoe goo works great for that!
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
Just drill a hole in the body. That is how it is on the JK kits and I know it sounds nuts, but you're really never going to be using the tire carrier in the open position. Ever. You may for a photo or two but that's it. Mount it semi permanently and then you only need to open it when the body comes off.
I woulg go this route (and did on my clod bodied mud truck) but since the bumper mounts to the frame rails and not to the body, i don't want to have to disassemble the carrier each time the body comes off for a battery change or maintenance. it worked great on my mud truck though. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Ok, I just mounted my tire and I had a tiny bit of sag so I took the little adjustable post thingy that came with my bumper set-up and cut a notch out of it. Then mounted that to my body. Now when the bumper tire carrier is closed I just snap the piece on my body onto the head of the screw that holds the tire on, I just leave enough room for it to snap over the screw: Here is a video:
Demo's axial scx10 honcho / bronco build #4 - YouTube

The info is at 1:00

Last edited by Demodude; 09-17-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Another shot
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

From the top
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Ok, after running this ^ around for a while it's not really a soulution. Trailing it's fine but getting into the rough it can come loose. Maybe if I made the cut lower it would hold better....
Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Demodude, i like that mount. Is it available on the same parts tree as the bumper?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

I got the bumper from a member already put together so I'm not sure. Maybe someone can chime in on that. The portion that goes into the drilled hole has a hole for a body clip. I've tightened things up a bit and it seems to be working just fine
Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Well done!
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I tried doubling up the magnets but they are still too weak. I may try to fab an aluminum brace after my hand heals and my cast comes off. Broke my fifth metacarpal in half and broke the bone on the side of my hand in nine places. They call it a boxer's fracture.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

OMG...

Ream a hole in the rear body panel or window. Screw the spare to the body using the existing hardware. Take the swing arm off the bumper. Now you can lift the body off normally and the spare is that much closer to the COG of the truck.
DudeWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Well i see the orthopedist tomorrow for more xrays and to see if the cast can come off. Hopefully i can get some work done on Buster by this weekend. I really want to get him running and get some pics as the leaves fall.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Unfortunately im still in a cast for another 3 weeks. Xrays showed that the fractures are healing, but they are still brooken. I may try to use one magnet epoxied to the carrier in conjunction with the one on the body to get a stronger hold between the two. If that doesnt work then i will look into hard mounting the carrier, but i really want to keep its functiomality if at all possible.

Poison spyder bumper issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Poison Spyder Bumper Sets IN STOCK!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 01-12-2013 09:23 PM
Axial SCX10 Poison Spyder Brawler Lite Front Bumper BENDER Scale Accessories 8 11-29-2012 02:52 AM
Axial SCX10 Poison Spyder Brawler Lite Front Bumper BENDER Axial SCX-10 0 11-15-2012 12:09 PM