Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Motor question heat issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

Default Motor question heat issues

Hey guys I'm new to the forum but have been a follower of y'all's post when ever I've had issues with my rig. But now I'm having heat issues and couldn't find a topic to help, so any way after a while (30mins or so) of trail/crawling It starts to act like it has no power, it couldn't even do a hill climb with the new motor, I'm running a Novak terra claw 35t on 2s with 20/87 gearing and running on 2.2 ripsaws. It's the same gearing I have on my wraith but the wraith has the novak rock star motor and I can crawl all day with it and not have issues.

Thanks guys in advance
crawlerbean914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Motor question heat issues

Just my opinion...gearing sounds too tall.

Go down on the pinion a couple teeth, It'll run cooler and give a little more torque.

I'd buy a couple, they're rather inexpensive. I suggest a 16t and 18t and see where your at.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I agree. Good to get a pinion set to mess with gearing. I almost burned up a 35t Integy before I figured out the too tall of gearing. I think I ended up playing with 17tooth and 15tooth and it was much better. The idea is to get the motor spinning faster at low speeds so its more in the power band.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the help I'll try the other pinions and also is there a performance difference between a sealed can and a rebuildable one?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yes there is, the biggest difference is when your good rebuildable motor starts running like poo, you clean the comm and throw in new brushes and bam, new motor for 6 bucks.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Sometimes just cleaning out the motor on rebuildable motors can make a difference too
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Something that is overlooked is oiling the bushings after cleaning....just one drop on both ends keeps it running smooth.

I ran a 17t pinion using the stock motor and my current custom 27t motor...It barely gets warm after using a full 4000mah lipo 2s pack.
I may even try a 16t for kicks and see what happens.

Still running the stock 87t spur gear with it.

Re-buildable motors are definitely a big difference...If you just get any 27t you may have one with 24 degreed of timing which will give you a lot of speed.

You want one specifically designed for rock crawling to get the torque you need..Holmes hobbies, Brood and trinity all offer specific motors.

Or you can build your own motor using any 27t armature in a modified canister with an adjustable timing end bell ...That's the route ive taken.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm runnin 27t motor with 17/87 it gets warm but driving style will make a difference.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have 2 Novak Terra Claw motors and they do not have a fan on the in side. I dont know if that will efect it or not but I would thing it would . The motor sticker all so blocks off 4 holes in the rear of the can you may want to open the holes up to vent heat.

greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have a yokomo can that's not vented at all and I notice that the can gets hotter than one with vents in it, swapped it out for a top can with vents, same armature in both cans.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #11

Wow thanks for more I put guys I really appreciate it, so I just went out on a trail run and it's about 130-140 but then when I run on a climb it starts to overheat and jumps to 180-190, and I see what you mean greengoblin the vent holes are blocked, I'm going to cut those holes out and put a fan and go out and see what happens
Old 09-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Get a pinion set and try and lower the gearing, the gearing is too tall. Weighted tires? Heavier trucks takes more power.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnel View Post
get a pinion set and try and lower the gearing, the gearing is too tall. Weighted tires? Heavier trucks takes more power.
(+1)
Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

not only weighted tires/wheels, but also larger diameter makes a difference - so if you're running larger than stock 1.9s, like Baja Claws, or some 2.2 tires you will likely need to regear for all that low-speed stuff. same as you would have to do in a 1:1 rig.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #15

Ok so today's trail run was epic 3 mile trail slight crawling here and there on the way and the motor only reached 60 degrees, but...........when it came to a hill climb/crawl mainly over some roots and rocks. The fan was acting as if it dropped voltage when I was in a bit of a bind, makes no sense because the fan is connected directly to a different battery? Could it be the resistors that I soldered on the motor??
Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerbean914 View Post
Ok so today's trail run was epic 3 mile trail slight crawling here and there on the way and the motor only reached 60 degrees, but...........when it came to a hill climb/crawl mainly over some roots and rocks. The fan was acting as if it dropped voltage when I was in a bit of a bind, makes no sense because the fan is connected directly to a different battery? Could it be the resistors that I soldered on the motor??

Did you make any changes to it at all gearing wise?

Resistors on motors are for glitching problems if I not mistaken..Shouldnt effect power output.

Some fans are temp controlled and may spin slow or fast depending on temp.

What ESC are you using?
what battery?

Last edited by 6sharky9; 09-26-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

don't know how well you know RC's but I burnt out a motor or two by meshing the pinion and spur gear to tightly. I've started useing a papertowel folded in half between the gears and then mash them together. tighten it up with only slight pressure holding them together. spu the spur gear to get the papertowel out. I know other people use a sheet of paper but do it light enough to slide the paper out.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Did you make any changes to it at all gearing wise?

Resistors on motors are for glitching problems if I not mistaken..Shouldnt effect power output.

Some fans are temp controlled and may spin slow or fast depending on temp.

What ESC are you using?
what battery?
I'm using the stock esc and Ive played with the gears from a 10t-23t pinions and right now I'm using 18/87, and I figured why the fan was cutting out under load, the magnets from the motor where making it cut out, but I think I'm done using sealed motors because today I went out with the wraith on the same trail and hill climb and it has 20/87 gearing and with a 35t rock star motor and same tires. The motor didn't even over heat it was warm to the touch
Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Gear mesh can cause heat too, I usually make the mesh tight enough to put a piece of paper between the spur and pinion and roll the spur with paper in it an not rip the paper.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerbean914 View Post
I'm using the stock esc and Ive played with the gears from a 10t-23t pinions and right now I'm using 18/87, and I figured why the fan was cutting out under load, the magnets from the motor where making it cut out, but I think I'm done using sealed motors because today I went out with the wraith on the same trail and hill climb and it has 20/87 gearing and with a 35t rock star motor and same tires. The motor didn't even over heat it was warm to the touch

Ok good...im running a 17 pinion with an 87 spur...I agree the rebuildable motors are far greater than sealed can..Im running a mod 27t and the stock esc with a 2s lipo...Very happy with it..Can build a 27t mod yourself pretty cheap with the right deals.

Motor question heat issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mm pro heat issues csagaz Electronics 13 05-25-2011 09:21 AM
Help me solve heat issues kurt Non Crawler RC's 12 07-16-2010 01:29 PM
Still Having Heat Issues - Please Help JFuel11 Team Losi Comp Crawler 14 09-18-2009 11:49 PM
Any heat issues with brushless? rctoyguy Team Losi Comp Crawler 1 06-03-2009 03:08 PM
ESC Heat issues 801FuNk801 Newbie General 6 05-01-2009 11:56 PM