Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: underdrive gear noise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default underdrive gear noise?

ok got in the axles I bought with the overdrive underdrive and the high steering parts.

my first time tearing into axles, the older ones that came in my box o parys, completly packed wth grease, the new ones with the overdrive/underdrive gears very very light folm on the gears, none on the casings themselves.

so I cleaned the gears for the rear axle, regreased and reassembled. I didn't try spinning the axles before I did this but after I found a noise. almost like you can hear every gear engaging. is this normal?
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: underdrive gear noise?

Doesn't sound normal. I have no noise from my ud gear in the rear. I did have noise when my bearings were crapping out before. Pull the pinion gear, and see if the bearing is still intact inside the housing.
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

all the bearings still look good to me. getting the same hise out of my front axle too now that that it is rebuilt. could I be tightening the casing to much?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

also I haven't got the axles back on the truck yet,this is me spinning the output to the tires with no resistance. maybe once the resistance is there it will go away.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Check the endplay on the pinion gear, it may need to be shimmed for proper mesh. If the bearings look good and there's plenty of grease, it may take some wear-in to get everything seated and running smooth.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

there is a tiny bit of movement. I think I can see alittle side to side with a wrench put thru the whole annd trying to go side ot side in it. front to back I can't see any play but I can feel it. these are tiny amounts,

the gears came in a used set of axkles. the casings showed very little rock rash, not that that really means anything. far as I can tell I can;t see any wearing on the gears.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

ok I think I jumped the gun on worrieing about it. once the rear axle was installed tires and driveshafts hooked up, spinning them made no noise. I think it was mainly do ti the slack and there being almost no resistance on the gears.

need to find the second half of my driveshaft. it came loose when I was running a trail and I forget what I did with it.

underdrive gear noise? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
43t/13t beveled underdrive gear problem Killa-Cotton Axial SCX-10 5 01-29-2013 05:37 PM
Wraith Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - Underdrive REAR - ISSUE slimfire Axial Wraith 11 01-24-2013 04:03 AM
Gear noise Hardline Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 08-18-2012 06:58 PM