Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Steel wheels...not that impressed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Steel wheels...not that impressed

So first a few disclaimers....

Just observations....

I am new at crawling...and know there is a ton of experience here...so I know this is against conventional scaler wisdom....

I don't do comps, don't care about comps...I am a guy who is either doing the scale thing with the family or by myself as therapy for high stress....I will do a G6 this year...but only because I am curious and want to challenge myself. Adding points to my rig because I have steel and not plastic...not a concern.

I figure buying three SCX 10s are about the biggest investment, and not going to put several hundred dollars into a rig after I just spent a ober a grand for 3 rigs, controllers, batteries, etc.... I do upgrades, but performance in a comp is not the motivation.....

Today I got what I still feel is a good deal. Steel wheels and "broke in" tires for $30. They add weight I probably need to keep me in better contact when off-camber or when going up hill. I think I had a false sense of security with them on there, my battery drained much faster, moter ran much hotter, and the rig was much slower. I feel like adding wheels just means I have to have upgrades in other areas like servo, gearing, etc....just not going to chase the performane pony like that.

I noticed some improvements, but really I am happier with lighter wheels on the trail. Perhaps aluminum wheels like Axial beadlocks will be the best of both worlds.

I love looking at the builds on here...and guys really know how to put some awesome rigs together.... Perhaps I will save them for a custom build at a later point.
Attached Images

AdventureIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Btw...I do like the realistic look of them....
Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Steel wheels...not that impressed

adding weight to wheels is adding rotational mass. requires more energy to move more weight and motor has to work harder more energy more heat less speed more battery loss. but sounds like you already figured this out. I say save em like you suggested if your not looking into spending more cash for supporting upgrades and are just having fun
xsputnikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

stamped steel wheels are lighter than machined aluminum beadlocks.
steel wheels should not reduce speed or run time.

im guessing something else is at play here. maybe the wheels are sitting too deep on the axle pins and rubbing the axle housing? ie like having the parking brake on the whole time.

id do some looking over the rig.

remove your driveshafts and spin the tires by hand. they should free wheel and spin a revolution or two before stoping.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Good points....I think the previous owner has wts in them. Just one is heavier than 4 of my stock wheels. They do spin freely so no isses there....

Good advise guys...thank you.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

With the battery in the forward position u don't need a ton of weight, maybe one stick. 1.5 -2 oz at most. I would pull them apart and lighten them up some because it sounds like you have way to much.
Heat, I'm guessing that's a stock setup, so when you add scale stuff and rims and everything else it plays a part, stock should be 87/20, order up a couple pinons, there cheap, get a 18,16,15 or 19,18,17 but typically I've found dropping two to three gets a hot motor just right, it's not a speed racer, it's a crawler/trail rig so don't be afraid to gear it down some. Gearing down is usually needed any ways, and it saves the pain and wear to the motor/esc
OGXXXOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Even if you're not going to "upgrade" a pinion set is a must for maintaining the rig when playing with weight. Weighting is an upgrade but doesn't cost a whole lot to do all 3. There is a lot of stuff you can do on your own as well. I make all my own links, bumpers, sliders battery trays, and its all from material I already had. Look in the scale accessory section. theres alot of great ideas in there. I dont comp either, but like to have gtg's and trail runs locally. i usually only upgrade when theres an issue with my rig. But constantly trying different gearing. But like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it, if it breaks fix it so it won't break again.
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
RCC Addict

You need to check to see how much weight was added in the wheels. I have pulled some used ones apart before and took out almost 2 pounds of lead weight between the 4 wheels. Not sure what they were thinking with that much weight in them.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Reminds me of someone local here that kept burning through motors, and my brother in law who has way too my weight in his rig
Old 09-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

if you like the looks of the steelies, Gmade makes some plastic steelies, vr01. 4 new would cost you less then the set you bought but thats no tires. and it gives you a stock rim look. come in black white and crome. when you put them together you don't have to worry about stripping out the plastic because the bolts to thru to a nut on the other side.

you might need a bit of super glue or CA gel to tack some tires in place as mine started pulling out while comping. I tried regular fast drying tire glue and one drop ran around the whole tire. they ain't pulling off again though lol

to keep rotational mass low and implrove crawling you could get knuckle weights, beef tubes would add alittle bit of weight but unless you want the axle reinforcement or the metal threads to screw into they not the best bang for your buck weight wise. good to add weight and still look scale though.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

if you do decide to buy a better set of wheels hit up The Scale Shop, Stang killa SS. good liuck, I have had no luck with steel wheels.
fj40jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
stamped steel wheels are lighter than machined aluminum beadlocks.
steel wheels should not reduce speed or run time.

im guessing something else is at play here. maybe the wheels are sitting too deep on the axle pins and rubbing the axle housing? ie like having the parking brake on the whole time.

id do some looking over the rig.

remove your driveshafts and spin the tires by hand. they should free wheel and spin a revolution or two before stoping.
This, they must have weight in them and/or you have binding somewhere in drivetrain. You may need to change gearing slightly (good steel pinion is like $5) what is your gearing, motor, battery and esc now? You don't have to spend a ton of cash, but no matter what you do, you need to dial it in for your use.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40jay View Post
if you do decide to buy a better set of wheels hit up The Scale Shop, Stang killa SS. good liuck, I have had no luck with steel wheels.
What do you mean no luck with steel wheels? What wheel and tire combos and problems?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

ive got RC4WDs 6 Lug and PITs there GREAT
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I'm running 1.55 rc4wd 6 lugs and growlers. Haven't had a problem yet with them only about 1.5 oz in each wheel battery forward. Weighed 4.5lbs yesterday, and does awesome. My brother inlaw couldn't keep up with his 2.2 flat irons, that and his rig is almost 9 lbs with a 1/4" solid steel truggy on the back. Told him I'd help go through his rig and build a lighter chassis and take some weight out of his wheels
Old 09-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
What do you mean no luck with steel wheels? What wheel and tire combos and problems?
I had a silver set not sure where from that would not hold a bead on any tires I tried. they seamed to slip ALOT. I did have a rc4wd pair in 1.5 that worked well with my mud slingers, so I guess I had A little luck. I just prefer a ring style bead lock.
fj40jay is offline   Reply With Quote

Steel wheels...not that impressed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very impressed crpt_keeper Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 03-13-2013 08:44 PM
Very Impressed chevotafun Axial AX10 2nd-gen 11 01-03-2013 09:17 AM
not impressed KnightRyder Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 41 02-22-2010 10:31 PM
OK, I'm impressed BJoe Chit Chat 9 11-14-2007 02:56 PM