Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What will break first

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What will break first

Just built my first rig...going on two months of driving. Nothing hard or extreme. As I get ready for my first G6 in the back of my head is "what have I used just long enough to fail...." When I am doing the recon in Bend. Don't want to put allot of money out there if I don't need to...what points should I be expecting and what am I looking for?
AdventureIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What will break first

c-hubs and knuckles i think are the weakest points.
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Awesome...thanks...just ordered through buddy at lhs!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

if yours was not a kit i would also upgrade the links
Old 09-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

if its all stock, the first weak link is the driveshafts and suspension links. once you start swapping steering parts for metal, then you have several weak links until you upgrade the whole thing, which is costly (ex: metal steering center link upgrade causes broken plastic steering knuckle due to rigidity, now you need new knuckles)
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yes, mine was the kit.... Ordering extra driveshafts
Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

For me the first things to go were the spur gear and the rear ring gear. Everything else has been good so far though I have not got to run it much lately. I should mention though that on building my kit I put in the Robinson Racing gears in the transmission. I was warned through the great people on this site that with brushless power I would need to beef up the drive train, they were RIGHT!! I still have more to do but now I'm just replacing what breaks or wears out as needed.
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Ive always had a hard time keeping the lower links together. Unless they where metal. That and steering links are ideal for first upgrades. Happy trails.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

You will find that if driven sensibly it is a very capable and durable rig, all these upgrades are nice and fun to do but aren't necessary, I've watched my brother run his stock Honcho RTR in comps and trail runs with cut and weighted Flatirons and a big 6000 lipo in front go just about anywhere, he carries a plastic bag of stock parts and hasn't used any of it yet. I would upgrade as needed, great rig stock in my opinion. He is also the third owner, I ran the truck stock last year in a G6 with a tow rope and a set of Pitbulls and it did great!

Sent from the RAZR's edge
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
You will find that if driven sensibly it is a very capable and durable rig, all these upgrades are nice and fun to do but aren't necessary, I've watched my brother run his stock Honcho RTR in comps and trail runs with cut and weighted Flatirons and a big 6000 lipo in front go just about anywhere, he carries a plastic bag of stock parts and hasn't used any of it yet. I would upgrade as needed, great rig stock in my opinion. He is also the third owner, I ran the truck stock last year in a G6 with a tow rope and a set of Pitbulls and it did great!

Sent from the RAZR's edge

+1 run it until it breaks then upgrade. That's what I usually do. But hate plastic links, they always end up bending on me but dont break, so I usually toss those first.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureIQ View Post
Yes, mine was the kit.... Ordering extra driveshafts
Have you done the mod to the stock shafts? I am guessing it is a newer kit with the wb8 shafts in it. I have broken one shaft since I did the mod and I have it done in 4 rigs.

Also need to swap out plastic links for metal links. I have a friend I run with that ran his stock for over a year except the steering links and motor and you could see the plastic links flex enough that the tires would move to the center of the chassis then spring back out.

Last edited by craddock35; 09-27-2013 at 02:42 PM.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post

Also need to swap out plastic links for metal links. I have a friend I run with that ran his stock for over a year except the steering links and motor and you could see the plastic links flex enough that the tires would move to the center of the chassis then spring back out.

This was also my biggest problem with a RTR version, made new ones within a week of owning mine.
6.2blazer is offline   Reply With Quote

What will break first - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do you break so much??? muddinscx Chit Chat 29 05-08-2015 06:24 PM
is neutral break the same as drag break? rod-211 Newbie General 3 02-25-2011 08:33 PM
New way to break up EeePee Chit Chat 16 10-02-2009 10:50 PM
Break in steff_13 Electronics 5 11-01-2007 10:52 AM
Wanted to break it in... Not break it! Spoon Tamiya TLT Crawlers 8 08-30-2005 06:55 PM