Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Driveshaft and gear install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Driveshaft and gear install

I Purchased the MIP driveshafts for my scx10 along with steel idler gear and steel outdrive gear.

my question is how hard a install are these? time consuming? never installed things like these.

Thanks
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Driveshaft and gear install

great upgrade! very simple, the gears are a direct swap once you have the case open. nothing really to think about other than how it all bolts back together, which is also fairly simple. if you have trouble, you can look at the axial manual for assembly instructions. once you do it, you'll be able to do this again in a heartbeat.
on the MIP shafts, follow the directions and make sure you get all the pins in the correct direction to avoid any binding points, as i've heard of some people having difficulty with those for some reason (i was fine and didn't read anything and it was my first time). other than that, the whole swap should take you around 1hr-1.5hrs for the first time i'd guess. most of that time you'll probably just be looking at it figuring out how it all connects.

something to consider while doing this tranny stuff is to mirror the transmission for combating torque twist. for this you have to swap around the spur gear shaft to the other side, it's a little more involved, but still fairly simple once you know how it all goes together.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Driveshaft and gear install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
great upgrade! very simple, the gears are a direct swap once you have the case open. nothing really to think about other than how it all bolts back together, which is also fairly simple. if you have trouble, you can look at the axial manual for assembly instructions. once you do it, you'll be able to do this again in a heartbeat.
on the MIP shafts, follow the directions and make sure you get all the pins in the correct direction to avoid any binding points, as i've heard of some people having difficulty with those for some reason (i was fine and didn't read anything and it was my first time). other than that, the whole swap should take you around 1hr-1.5hrs for the first time i'd guess. most of that time you'll probably just be looking at it figuring out how it all connects.

something to consider while doing this tranny stuff is to mirror the transmission for combating torque twist. for this you have to swap around the spur gear shaft to the other side, it's a little more involved, but still fairly simple once you know how it all goes together.

cool thanks for the advice. I was told to get the traxxas 4x15mm screw pins also to make the driveshafts work with the rubicon kit. so i ordered those also.
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote

Driveshaft and gear install - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX30401 Install Help! Gear shaft sticks out further than stock jhonchua Axial SCX-10 4 07-24-2012 08:15 AM
Motor Install Gear Mesh??? skullking Venom Creeper 9 02-09-2010 01:48 PM
how to install driveshaft retainer rings an ax10 2004neonsrt4 Newbie General 5 05-17-2008 09:27 AM
Motor mounting/gear mesh in R2D- Install Tips? gr33nlite Newbie General 2 11-14-2007 11:53 PM
Spur gear adaptor for Pede install ?? Gabe Newbie General 13 03-26-2006 01:42 AM