Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: what motor should i put on my scx10 if its heavy but on a budget.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #1

Question what motor should i put on my scx10 if its heavy but on a budget.

so far i got a 12t traxxas motor with a xl5 esc and a 2cell lipo i notice it gets really hot i think it could be the weight of the truck so im asking which one should i get. oh i lowered my pinion to a 17 and still da same. so if anyone has a suggestion please tell me would appericiate it im new not much a talker just a reader and i been reading all of the comment everyone put but never found one about weight and motor heating problem so yeah be waiting on comment. thanks
tx crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Whats the weight of your car. Mine is about 5ibs and I use a homes hobbie 35t motor with a 15 tooth pinion. Works well and I have the same esc.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk now Free
cneill24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I second the Holmes Hobbies recommendation, you can pick up a tourque master sport for $35, on a side note have you checked all the bearings to make sure none were froze up? That could cause increased drag and put more strain on the motor, just a thought.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4
sf2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default Re: what motor should i put on my scx10 if its heavy but on a budget.

That combo has powered some pretty heavy stuff over the years at Traxxas. Checking for bind was a good suggestion before buying new motor. Budget, you can spend a lot less than the holmes on a 35t, but you also get what you pay for in the long run.
therealrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

On a budget I would suggest the Traxxas Titan 21T.

I've been using one on my 11lbs wraith with 84/16 gearing and 4S LiPo. Good speed and great torque.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I would think you shouldn't be overheating using your current combo...No motor in the world is going to fix that to be honest.

Is the motor clean?
are the bushings/bearings lubricated?
Any other bearings in the truck sticky or in bad shape?
Anything in the driveline binding?
Is your pinion to tight against the spur gear?

Either what I mentioned or the motor is just worn out..In which case you have 2 choices on motors.
You can get the sealed can motor and wait for it to go bad and replace it again and again and again ($10-$20)
or you can get a rebuildable brushed motor and rebuild it when something goes bad on it. $35.00 plus figure 7 dollars to rebuild it when its needed.

You can rebuild a brushed motor 5 to 7 times depending on how well you take care of the armature and you would need a motor lathe to cut the armature ($65-75)
Its really not something you want to do without some guidance at first but its an option.

Id try to find out why you are getting hot and then go from there...I ran a 17t pinion using the stock axial 27t and a mod 27t and had no overheating issue but then again I don't have a heavy set up.
The motors shouldn't exceed maybe 130-135 degress which to the touch feels pretty hot in itself..no way to tell without a temp gun though.

As mentioned the Holmes Hobbies torque master is a seemingly pretty good rebuildable brushed motor for the money..but it wont solve an overheating problem coming from another source.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 10-09-2013 at 11:17 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I think your on power too much with your rig and that's why it's getting hot.., my son has had that same setup for almost a year In his wrangler...
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
On a budget I would suggest the Traxxas Titan 21T.

I've been using one on my 11lbs wraith with 84/16 gearing and 4S LiPo. Good speed and great torque.
thanks for the info. i check the bind and i notice the front t bone that goes inside the diff at a turn would get stuck i have to turn of the esc so it would get unstuck would that be the issue. like the t bone comes out while turning i have to turn a little what do u guys think should i order larger mm t bone cause i think it small thats why it comes out. and i also wonder that 21traxxas turn with the 4s lipo what esc r u running can i put that with that combo and xl5 esc?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have the Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro ESC. A bit overkill for my setup but I'm considering getting a ROC 412 for my wraith.

Don't know whether the XL5 can take a 4S LiPo battery.

A good budget ESC is the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL. Only for brushed motors but can take a 6S LiPo. I'm going to put one in my WIP scaler.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

That's definately a bind that will burn up your motor. Add a spacer or a couple washers to the screw connecting the 3 link y to the ball end. This will clock you front axle a bit and minimally impact steering, but it improve the angle to address the bind.

XL5 specs max it out at 8 cell or 9.6 volts. If you hook up a 4s lipo have an extinguisher handy.
therealrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Slide the pinion gear off...
and see if the drive train/axle internals roll freely/smoothly

Could be dirty/rusty internal axle bearings causing excessive friction...
or could possibly even be a seized bearing.
The axle housings are not sealed...
I find that my outer axle bearings are always full of crud...
and are often culprit to seizure.

running in mud and water guarantees there will be axle bearing contamination
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

how much does your rig weigh when RTR? what tires are you running, and are the wheels weighted at all? all of this will effect the motor in some way, as will driving style and other resistance caused by things like dirty bearings, etc.

as a suggestion, i would also look into getting a set of 3-5 different pinion sizes so you can play with gearing and see if it helps. it's a fairly important thing to have in your toolbox for dialing in your setup.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I also say HH 35T crawler motor
TrilloThrillo110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I was going to bring up the fact that using an XL5 esc in a very heavy rig may not be the better choice..They were designed for much lighter weight 1/10 scale usage..You have to be putting a huge strain on the esc/motor causing it to run at max amps creating all the heat..The industry made esc,s and batteries for 1/8 scale for a reason; to handle the added weight and load..1/8 scale buggy and truggies only weight in the 6 to 8lb max range..If your rig is 10lbs or more I would imagine IT would overheat..See if running a 2s would lower temps any..if so then you know whats going on..A 4s is way too much for the system to handle.

I still don't get all these heavy rigs with all this overkill power..lol
Old 10-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
how much does your rig weigh when RTR? .
Axial claims 4.4lbs for the rtr..figure with a battery in the 5lb range stock.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #16

Talking Re: what motor should i put on my scx10 if its heavy but on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Axial claims 4.4lbs for the rtr..figure with a battery in the 5lb range stock.
well not sure how much it weight but i know its pretty heavy since it has a weld on roll cage in the back part of the chassis and a aluminum front diff. also it has 2.2 tires with really heavy weights not sure how much bought them used on ebay and just slap them on lol i think i might just go with a mamba monster pro motor with esc but ill try the other solution thanks for da info guys it help me a lot gonna try the other motor u guy suggested first then will c about the mamba motor i might buy a scale to weight this monster so u guys can know but till next week got to back to work so thanks and keep on trucking.

what motor should i put on my scx10 if its heavy but on a budget. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project: Budget Overhaul(Pic Heavy) JDeezie82 Axial SCX-10 21 10-28-2013 04:40 PM
Electronics to put in a kit on a budget peterk Axial Wraith 7 05-12-2012 01:51 AM
Best way to put a summit tranny in a scx10 J.T. Axial SCX-10 3 11-09-2011 11:02 AM
Anyone put this body on an SCX10? solomon7 Axial SCX-10 12 05-29-2009 09:11 PM
How do you put on motor mounts?? shadow Tamiya Clod Buster 4 06-08-2006 11:33 PM