Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Essential Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SCX10 Essential Mods

Lets take a look at an RTR and vote on what mods you feel the RTR needs most to improve its stock performance.

List what you feel it NEEDS and a quick explanation on how it will improve its performance.

I will create a point system for each mod suggested and keep it updated.

This should help newcomers decide on what they should replace or "NEED" based on function and facts to get the most from their truck

Aluminum suspension links..+3
Aluminum Steering links..+2
Under drive rear diff..+2
Overdrive front diff..+1
Aluminum C hubs..+1
High steer Knuckles..+1
High torque servo..+1
Beadlock wheels..+1
Wheel weights..+1
Tires..+1
Motor Pinion..+1
Upgrade drive shafts..+1
Upgrade trans gears..+1
2s lipo..+1
3s lipo..+1
Front mounted battery (Rubicon specific )
BEC..+1
Lower Center of gravity (COG)..+2
Electronics relocation..+1

Last edited by 6sharky9; 10-26-2013 at 11:02 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX10 Essential Mods

For my Honcho I think the single largest improvement has to be underdriving the rear diff. Helps with trail turning radius and it's propensity to roll over backwards on steep grades was cut significantly.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Absolute essential: Relocate battery to the front of the chassis. Fine thread screws and locktight in the steering knuckles and where the c-hubs screw into the axle housing. Aluminum rear lower links. All others can be plastic but those just twist up like crazy under any load. Longer screws with backing nuts to go through the servo horn, into the tie bar, and at the ends of the tie bar to stop them from wiggling out every half hour Also a 15-16 tooth pinion to keep the motor alive. Those are essential up grades everything else can be improved as it breaks but these things must be done if you want to put hours on your truck.

Best performance improvement: high torque servo (0251mg savox is best budget choice by far) Adding a bec. Overdrive front or underdrive rear or both. Aluminum c-hubs and steering linkage and axial or vanquish high steer knuckles. Wheel weights. Mip drive shafts or sleeve the inside of you stock male ends with aluminum tubing. Good 2s or 3s lipo. Dual brushed motors( personal opinion but would never go back to a single brushed motor setup gains far outweigh minus's) robinson racing steel main and idler trans gears. 70% droop setup( low center of gravity with just as much clearance as high sprung setup), and tires best suited for your terrain. That should cover it. I purposely left out all "bling" upgrades

Last edited by THX_138; 11-10-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

My personal list of ESSENTIAL upgrades/modifications: Battery forward, aluminum steering links, aluminum lower links, beadlocks. In my honest opinion, those are the only modifications and upgrades COMPLETELY necessary. In the 8-9 months I owned my Dingo I never had driveshaft problems and am having no problems out of my Honcho so far. If anything, I'd recommend modifying the stock shaft as described in many other threads.
rcpilotjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Replacing the plastic tie rod and drag link. Allows rig to go where you point it.
Lowering the center of gravity. Relieves frustration and limits roll overs.
Getting rid of large heavy mah batteries that are mounted up high. Use smaller more powerful batteries. See #2 above.
When you do decide to upgrade, buy the good stuff, ONCE. Saves sanity and gets rid of having to do it twice. More time for running your rig.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

My mods so far:

1) Place battery where esc was -> place esc above servo
2) stiffen up steering link with carbon rods
3) Install 4 Link in the front -> drive shaft is rubbing on 3-link

-> todo: Replace links with aluminium rods
soundmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 Essential Mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Essential mods and upgrades? Jigs Axial Wraith 3 12-10-2012 07:59 PM
Essential Vanquish upgrades Mysterious Axial XR10 17 11-30-2011 05:03 PM
Essential upgrades cbr6fs Axial XR10 22 11-07-2010 05:50 PM
Any essential hop-up that are a must have? pncstod Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 01-20-2008 07:02 PM