Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Novak Crusher 21.5 & 18.5 brushless opinions please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Novak Crusher 21.5 & 18.5 brushless opinions please

I have a hand wound Tekin 35T and a Tekin FXR. I have found a deal on a new Novak crusher 21.5T system for about $110. I am thinking I could try that and buy the 18.5 stator if its to slow/torqy. I am happy with the Tekin setup but I feel I could do better by trying this before I buy a Holmes Hobbies hand wound brushed motor. I have a MMP in a Wraith with the Holmes 27T hand wound and like that but I wish I had a bit more top end and wonder if I could get there by going BL.

Is anyone running the Goat 3s or newer Novak crawler BL systems and whats your opinion of them? My current setups (both) have enough torq to turn the wheels very slowly on pavement when I have the truck pinned against a wall and the top speed is around 8mph. I run 3s. I would like to see more wjeel speed and keep my torq. Not a fan of the lack of adjustability of the Novak but for a water resistant ESC and more speed I'll live with it.
it8ezbngrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Novak Crusher 21.5 & 18.5 brushless opinions please

Goat 2S and 13.5 on my SCX - runs like a champ. Super smooth and plenty of power. Never had an issue with it.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

The Crusher can handle 4S but what they don't throw out there is that your limited to 18.5T motors on 3S & 4S. So I hope I like the wheels speed. I may try the motor with my Traxxas ET-3S which is basically an MMP limited to 3S by Traxxas software. I just wanted to try something water resistant and have heard dtories of Novaks not lasting. Although I have also had and seen a Tekin FXR catch fire for no reason. It had an external BEC, running 7 cell NiMh and a 35T. Tekin replaced it. I like mine but want to see if I can get more from a BL setup and wanted to try Novak. Dont like how the ESC resets when you recalibrate the ESC to receiver but thats not a huge thing. My main concern is reliability and the fear of not being happy with the performance.

I tried a tekin RS with a 13.5 in my 2 speed wraith and it almost had the torq I wanted but lacked the drag brake strength. Also I want to run in the snow without soaking an ESC. I have the Da Box tub in the rear with the cover but I had to vent it a little and once teh snows in there it will melt and stay trapped in there. So need a water resistant design. So now I'm using a Sidewinder SV3 with teh HH 27T and its very fun.
The SCX10 crawls very nice and has some wheel speed but I wish it had more. It has a Tekin FXR and Pro 35T. Its not water resistant. The case recently just fell apart and its a pita to adjust in the position its mounted in. The DB is killing the motor. The pro hates it. I need to adjust it or soemthing. The motor quit on the last day out and I had to do soem maintenance. The cheapo Tekin motor held up better. Stand up brushes I guess.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I run the stock Axial esc with a custom 27t and a 2s battery and have all the torque I could ever possibly need.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Novak Crusher Brushless Opinions Please