Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Is there any easy way to take diffs apart after being installed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation Is there any easy way to take diffs apart after being installed?

Hello folks! I am new to the SCX10 and bought a used Wrangler. I want to get the diffs apart to check out all the gears and lockers. I know on the Wraith a person could get the diff gears out without having to drop them completely out of the rig. The Wraith has a nice big diff cover where all the goodies come out. I don't see that on the SCX10.

With the SCX10 do I have to go all out and remove everything to get inside? Especially the front diff? It seems like a lot of stuff will have to come off in order to get at the diff gears.

Just a little advice would be appreciated. I tried to search the subject but nothing came up.

I only have the pdf manual and sure it is easy to do from step 1...hehehe. But getting backwards to that step seems like lots of work. HELP PLEASE!!
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Is there any easy way to take diffs apart after being installed?

The only way I see getting to the Ring & pinion gears out of a scx10 axle is to separate the halves.
That means at least the chubs have to come off.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Chubs - drive shaft and if you want lower shocks at the mount . Seperate the case . Did it many times in my sportsman .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

First of all you need to think of taking the diff apart as reliving the build experience, not being a pita.

If you have lockers with set screws you end up drilling holes in the pumpkin to access the screws in the locker. You plug the holes in the pumpkin with short set screws.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
First of all you need to think of taking the diff apart as reliving the build experience, not being a pita.

If you have lockers with set screws you end up drilling holes in the pumpkin to access the screws in the locker. You plug the holes in the pumpkin with short set screws.
I bought this thing all built and it is my first SCX10 chassis. Thanks for the tips guys. I should have disconnected the lower links and shocks then it would have came apart easier.

I managed to get into it no problem. I was just checking to see if the parts the previous owner said were actually in it. I hear horror stories of guys buying things only to find out the parts are not there. This has beef tubes in the front (SWEET), axial cvd uni axle shafts, VP c-hubs and 8 degree knuckles, Grip Fab V1 Aluminum spool and Axial over drive ring and pinon.

Rear I have yet to look at but it does have the VP lockouts and should have a Grip Fab V1 Spool too.

I have yet to take the trans out. It is all a new experience and so far I am happy with what I bought from a fellow RCCer.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Is there any easy way to take diffs apart after being installed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diffs installed backwards helps with torque twist? Psycho-Savvy Axial Wraith 1 05-05-2012 12:32 AM
I just installed a DX 3.0... FloridaRocks Electronics 4 07-10-2008 05:42 AM
Strong diffs and easy parts beomagi Newbie General 12 05-02-2008 11:24 AM
Torsion diffs vs. locked diffs RCMFMaxxMan General Crawlers 23 03-16-2008 02:35 AM
winch installed! mudrinner4ever General Crawlers 6 09-05-2006 04:56 AM