Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What's this? Another battery thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What's this? Another battery thread?

Yes, another battery thread. I've done plenty of reading and chosen several types of batteries that people recommend and also a charger but I'm still unsure as to what I should get. I'm planning on getting an SCX10 for myself on for Christmas so I'm already making a parts list and what not.
I've read that many people use the Gens Ace battery and I picked this one out: GENS ACE 5000mAh 40C 7.4V Hardcase Lipo Battery Pack ROAR approval
however will this one directly connect to a stock scx10 or do I need to get a new connector? If I need a connector, where can I get one that will be compatible.

My other choices for batteries:

Amazon.com: Venom 20C 2S 4000mAh 7.4 Hard Case LiPO Battery with Universal Plug System: Toys & Games

Hard Case LiPo Battery Pack, EcoPower Electron 2S Li-Poly 30C Battery Pack [ECP-LPH-5000-2S30] - A Main Hobbies

I'm hoping to get a battery that will directly connect to the stock scx10, but if I need a new connector for the best battery out of this selection, so be it. And again, where can I get that connector?

As for the charger I've chosen the Thunder AC6 or the Thunder AC680. Is there a big difference between the two?

Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

Thunder AC680 Professional Dual-Power LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

Thanks for the help

Last edited by RubikonKid; 11-07-2013 at 06:48 AM.
RubikonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: What's this? Another battery thread?

I actually don't know what connecter Axial provides... I've never used their esc's before.

But I do know that Dean's plugs are the most used plugs and you can easily swap to them if you have a soldering iron.

I'd recommend doing this as you can buy most lipo's with Deans already installed and it helps if you're out with friends and someones battery dies, they can borrow one.

Here's where I get my lipo's.
IMO, a great product and great price.
I've been running them for a couple of years now and have had great success... and they are cheap enough to replace without feeling like I wasted my money (which I've done when I first started in the hobby).
Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): Batteries - Power
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

axial use tamiya style plugs so you would need a something like a deans or traxxas personal choice on that one if you decide to change but i would change them as the plug it coems with like to melt when using lipo battery`s. chargers are another personal choice i use a turnigy accucell 6 it was cheap but does the job i want it for. try hobbyking usa for deans and traxxas connectors or even your local hobby shop they may even solder them on for you and charge you a small amount for doing it
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #4

ebay also has very cheap deans connectors.
krawlin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post
axial use tamiya style plugs so you would need a something like a deans or traxxas personal choice on that one if you decide to change but i would change them as the plug it coems with like to melt when using lipo battery`s. chargers are another personal choice i use a turnigy accucell 6 it was cheap but does the job i want it for. try hobbyking usa for deans and traxxas connectors or even your local hobby shop they may even solder them on for you and charge you a small amount for doing it
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go to a local shop sometime and see what they have for connectors. Say I get a deans connector soldered on, that will work with a stock scx10?

Any suggestions on my choice of batteries?

Also, is there any easy way to find all my local goby shops or do I just need to do some googling?

Sent from my iPu

Last edited by RubikonKid; 11-06-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #6

Really depends on the kit bud. I got a Ready to Run Honcho and it came with a Tamiya connector. If your building a kit most don't come with electronics so that will depend on what you end up with. These guys are just saying that the Deans connectors and Traxxas connectors hold up better. You will have to change your connector on your rig (if its a RTR that is) from a Tamiya if you choose to do so. My Tamiya connector that came with my RTR Honcho was crap and the prongs were bent out of the box. If you choose to change it (again assuming its a RTR kit) yes you will need to get a Deans/Traxxas connector soldered to you ESC and need to have the matching connector on your battery.
preto789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #7

yeah Tamiya plugs are just absolute junk & i have melted a few with lipos when they even worked.

like i say to everyone asking battery questions.. 2s Sky Lipo from hobbypartz. generally $20 for a soft case and if you balance charge it each time it will last a year or longer easily.
krawlin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by preto789 View Post
Really depends on the kit bud. I got a Ready to Run Honcho and it came with a Tamiya connector. If your building a kit most don't come with electronics so that will depend on what you end up with. These guys are just saying that the Deans connectors and Traxxas connectors hold up better. You will have to change your connector on your rig (if its a RTR that is) from a Tamiya if you choose to do so. My Tamiya connector that came with my RTR Honcho was crap and the prongs were bent out of the box. If you choose to change it (again assuming its a RTR kit) yes you will need to get a Deans/Traxxas connector soldered to you ESC and need to have the matching connector on your battery.
There's some info I needed, thanks. I'll be going with the rtr wrangler. What I'll probably do is go ahead and buy 2 batteries and go to a local shop and have deans connectors put on so I'll be ready

Sent from my iPu
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlin01 View Post
yeah Tamiya plugs are just absolute junk & i have melted a few with lipos when they even worked.

like i say to everyone asking battery questions.. 2s Sky Lipo from hobbypartz. generally $20 for a soft case and if you balance charge it each time it will last a year or longer easily.
How long does the sky lipo last after a charge?

Sent from my iPu
Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

No soldering iron?
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubikonKid View Post
How long does the sky lipo last after a charge?

Sent from my iPu
How long you can drive your truck on a charge depends on how large a battery you get...I had a 4000mah and got over an hour of play time and still had more left in it..How hard you run the truck and how heavy it is will change the times as well...If you want a decent run time; say an hour then get at least a 3000mah battery...If you want more then get one with more Mah...Get a 2S in the 25c to 30C range and use deans connectors for plugs..Any lipo charger with at least 5 amps charging and balancing capabilities is a decent charger..If you have a 3000mah lipo then charge it at 3 amps...a 4000 then 4 amps...a 5000 then 5 amps....you shouldn't need anything bigger than a 5000mah...I use a thunder ace 6 charger from hobby partz,,Been a great affordable charger and comes with more plugs than youll know what to do with.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-06-2013 at 07:19 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
There's some info I needed, thanks. I'll be going with the rtr wrangler. What I'll probably do is go ahead and buy 2 batteries and go to a local shop and have deans connectors put on so I'll be ready

Sent from my iPu
Good deal just make sure your batteries are Deans connectors as well.. sometimes if you order over a website its kinda confusing! And make sure you get your batteries and get em charged before you get your truck!! Cause your gonna wanna crawl over some shite as soon as it comes outta the box!!
preto789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
No soldering iron?
Nope, I don't have one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
How long you can drive your truck on a charge depends on how large a battery you get...I had a 4000mah and got over an hour of play time and still had more left in it..How hard you run the truck and how heavy it is will change the times as well...If you want a decent run time; say an hour then get at least a 3000mah battery...If you want more then get one with more Mah...Get a 2S in the 25c to 30C range and use deans connectors for plugs..Any lipo charger with at least 5 amps charging and balancing capabilities is a decent charger..If you have a 3000mah lipo then charge it at 3 amps...a 4000 then 4 amps...a 5000 then 5 amps....you shouldn't need anything bigger than a 5000mah...I use a thunder ace 6 charger from hobby partz,,Been a great affordable charger and comes with more plugs than youll know what to do with.
I'm only going to be crawling and trailing, no open throttle type stuff for me so the battery should last a while. I've mainly chosen 4000 or 5000mah batteries as well and both these batteries look good:

This one comes with several connectors Amazon.com: Venom 20C 2S 4000mAh 7.4 Hard Case LiPO Battery with Universal Plug System: Toys & Games

And this one already has a deans connector Hard Case LiPo Battery Pack, EcoPower Electron 2S Li-Poly 30C Battery Pack [ECP-LPH-5000-2S30] - A Main Hobbies

Or this one since it seems many people use it and I'm kinda leaning more towards this http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get the Thunder Ace6 charger after reading you're pleased with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by preto789 View Post
Good deal just make sure your batteries are Deans connectors as well.. sometimes if you order over a website its kinda confusing! And make sure you get your batteries and get em charged before you get your truck!! Cause your gonna wanna crawl over some shite as soon as it comes outta the box!!
That's my plan. I want to open this thing up and immediately crawl over everything in my house

Last edited by RubikonKid; 11-07-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nope, I don't have one
A soldering iron (better yet...soldering station) is one of the first tools you should have next to high quality hex drivers.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
A soldering iron (better yet...soldering station) is one of the first tools you should have next to high quality hex drivers.
Well I'll make sure to get those things. Could you recommend a good set of hex drivers?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Yes...MIP Thorp hex drivers. I bought mine from a few different ebay sellers. I got the absolute best prices from them.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Venom 5600 50c. ..ran it hard in my brushed scx 10 for 1:45 and still had good punch. $.02
Crawlorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I highly recommend the Thunder AC6 charger. It's great, I love mine.
As for batteries, avoid the Venom battery. I have great luck with Hyperion batteries from RCdude Hobbies. I just recently bought some Sky Lipos and they seem good too.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Nope, I don't have one

I'm only going to be crawling and trailing, no open throttle type stuff for me so the battery should last a while. I've mainly chosen 4000 or 5000mah batteries as well and both these batteries look good:

This one comes with several connectors Amazon.com: Venom 20C 2S 4000mAh 7.4 Hard Case LiPO Battery with Universal Plug System: Toys & Games

And this one already has a deans connector Hard Case LiPo Battery Pack, EcoPower Electron 2S Li-Poly 30C Battery Pack [ECP-LPH-5000-2S30] - A Main Hobbies

Or this one since it seems many people use it and I'm kinda leaning more towards this GENS ACE 5000mAh 40C 7.4V Hardcase Lipo Battery Pack ROAR approval

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get the Thunder Ace6 charger after reading you're pleased with it

That's my plan. I want to open this thing up and immediately crawl over everything in my house

Ive been running GensAce packs since they came out basicly...Ive not had a single failure and they all charge with higher capacity than advertised...The deal now is on the 4000mah hardcase 25c 2s with the banana plugs $24.00.(Not the built in wiring)..I have 2 of these I was using till I went to a gens ace saddle pack. They are going in my proboat blackjack 26ss brushless boat now..they are really good batteries.

I got well over an hour just crawling around at walking pace or slower..
They balance really well also..I use the Thunder Ace 6 charger you can get from hobby partz as well..really good charger..easy to use..charges a full charge everytime.

Can charge up to 5 amps and has a lot of adapter plugs for a lot of different charging hook ups including glow chargers for the nitro guys like myself.
It holds memory so its a 2 press procedure once set up to get charging...Best charger ive used so far especially for the price.

When I raced In the SC class I used the 5000 30c gens ace...But they weren't $50.00 either at the time..they were in the high 20,s price range...The 4000s are the next line up with that amazing price range..Unless your using a super high torque motor you don't need more than a 25c rating...I use a 27T that's extremely more powerful than the stock 27T and have had no problems with the pack getting hot or puffing out.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-08-2013 at 09:47 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Ive been running GensAce packs since they came out basicly...Ive not had a single failure and they all charge with higher capacity than advertised...The deal now is on the 4000mah hardcase 25c 2s with the banana plugs $24.00.(Not the built in wiring)..I have 2 of these I was using till I went to a gens ace saddle pack. They are going in my proboat blackjack 26ss brushless boat now..they are really good batteries.

I got well over an hour just crawling around at walking pace or slower..
They balance really well also..I use the Thunder Ace 6 charger you can get from hobby partz as well..really good charger..easy to use..charges a full charge everytime.

Can charge up to 5 amps and has a lot of adapter plugs for a lot of different charging hook ups including glow chargers for the nitro guys like myself.
It holds memory so its a 2 press procedure once set up to get charging...Best charger ive used so far especially for the price.

When I raced In the SC class I used the 5000 30c gens ace...But they weren't $50.00 either at the time..they were in the high 20,s price range...The 4000s are the next line up with that amazing price range..Unless your using a super high torque motor you don't need more than a 25c rating...I use a 27T that's extremely more powerful than the stock 27T and have had no problems with the pack getting hot or puffing out.
Great info, this is exactly what I need to hear. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRockNoCookie View Post
I highly recommend the Thunder AC6 charger. It's great, I love mine.
As for batteries, avoid the Venom battery. I have great luck with Hyperion batteries from RCdude Hobbies. I just recently bought some Sky Lipos and they seem good too.
How long of a run time do you get with the SKy Lipo and the Hyperion?

What's this? Another battery thread? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another hot battery thread....sorry olvegrn Electronics 4 07-25-2013 08:24 PM
Battery question...yes, I read the battery thread...twice... MikeTJ Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 14 06-07-2011 07:44 PM
Definitive 1:6 Battery Thread player Newbie General 137 06-06-2010 04:15 PM