Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: D-90 Pick-up "Project"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default D-90 Pick-up "Project"

I'm putting this here because it has SCX chassis rails and skid and.....?

Anyway, I had this for sale a while back and one fella backed out of the deal and two others didn't offer want I wanted so this puppy is stayin' home in the "burgh". Possibly next seasons Class 2 rig, we'll see.

Going to repaint the chassis with a Rustoleum Hammered Paint, either black or dark steel. It will hide some of the imperfections. Don't get me wrong, the chassis/ tube work is done very nicely (summitcrawler) but it's been used and needs some tlc.

I got started by stripping 95% of the paint off the body and tried to putty and sand things into respectibility. Well I'm no body man and my buddy Ralph (Blumaro) is bored out of his mind after back surgery so he's going to paint it for me up at his shop. This is what it looked like when I dropped it off on Saturday...

When I get it back I'm going to start putting it together, parts spec...
BRXL & 13t Crawlmaster
Built tranny, VP case, Robinson gears, 32p spur
MIP's
OMF's weighted with Pitbulls and CI foams
Axles I'm undecided right now, I have a set of Loaded Axials w/ VP Stage one kit and I also have a set of freshly made GCM Metal Heads on the way from the "Great White North"

Those interested stay tuned and be patient, I have 3 projects going on and I'm not good at multi-tasking, lol.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: D-90 Pick-up "Project"

My axles from our northern neighbor (GCM) arrived and they're pretty darn nice...

And some of the parts getting stuffed in there and on there...

Old 11-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

OK went to the LHS and picked up some gears and Fast Eddy bearings to put these axles together.

I'm waiting on knuckles and chubs from VP so I started with the rear axle. After putting the ring gear on the GCM locker and setting the diff in the housing I tried to put the straight axle in like I normally would but it wasn't going in. The flange on the straight axle was larger than the internal hole in the axle housing.

I'm not sure if it was intentional or a flaw. It was not that big of a deal either way. I put the straight axle in a drill and turned on the grinder and widdled'er down until the desired size was achieved...

The rear axle is needs nothing, it has lockouts incorporated in the design with bearing caps on the ends and also has the upper link mount as part of the housing. GCM design needs you to use Wraith link/shock mounts, anybody's will work, I chose VP. It's real important to follow GCM instructions on tightening the locker or you could wind up with some unwanted binding.

After complete assembly you have a pretty nice looking axle that spins so smooth!

Can't wait for the steering parts to come and get the front axle together. I'm taking a chance with these and putting my faith in RC4WD. I'm going to use their new "extreme duty" XVD's for the SCX,... we'll see soon enough if they upped their game any.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Looking good Bob , Are you going to use the GCM front motor mount also.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

No, the chassis has brazed metal shock hoops and the spacing isn't correct. I just might throw some built Axial axles under this thing and use the GCM axles with my DDK chassis for another project.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I never saw your original For Sale thread on this body...I wouldn't have backed out. Do you know where I can find another one???
Postclanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

UPDATE!!!

Body and Chassis back from the paint shop, lol.

I think it came out pretty darn nice. I need to paint all the little trim pieces and interior, then start working on the bed. Going to be a slow one me thinks.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Well I'm not sure what happened to my pic's, I'm guessing I inadvertantly deleted them off my photoboucket library, don't know when or how but they're gone...I'm such a "putz" man.

After a month long break on this thing I started to assemble the parts yesterday and uploaded some new pic's. I'll try not to delete them this time, lol

I went with the loaded Axial axles, Thanks TommyR, (Keeping the GCM's for another project). These things are loaded...VP Stage 1 kit, VVD's, stainless lockers, hardened gears and beef tubes.

Picked up some VP TI links at the lhs, had a loaded aluminum cased tranny all put together and some OMF's (kudos to Erbing) wrapped with PB Rockbeast's. Also had the RC4WD windshield guard shortened to fit the cab and painted to match the tube work. (Thanks blumaro )

Heres the progress so far...

Still got a long way to go, D-90 interior, body trimmings and detail, electronics and a shakedown test run with the club after Christmas.
Comments, suggestions and critique welcome.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well with the temps in single digits the last couple weeks and some significant snow fall, I got a little busy down at the work bench.

Got the D-90 PU project just about wrapped up. Have all the electronics in it and ballooned. Interior and driver buttoned up, battery box in the bed under a toolbox lid for quick changes. Wireless Bulldog winch and some scale details added.

All bench tested and ready to go. I just want to run the friggin' thing now but 8" of fresh snow is putting that on hold. Here's some pic's...

Old 01-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I like how the tube work follows the body work even in the front end, or the body work follows the tube work lol whichever looks cool! I see the winch motor casing is massively in the way.
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous View Post
I like how the tube work follows the body work even in the front end, or the body work follows the tube work lol whichever looks cool! I see the winch motor casing is massively in the way.

Yeah, I don't think it was designed for the BullDog winch but I liked the rig when I saw it and tried a ressurection project.

A little dremel work and light gauge aluminum patch and it's good to go. A blind man on a fast horse will never see it, lol.

I'm probably going to do something different down the road. For now, sadly, it will suffice.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i wish i had the patience to work a body like this...awesome job!
sawhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 AM   #13
RCC Addict

That's nice!
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:14 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the comments fellas.

Still have not had a shake down run yet to find the chinks in the armor. Too much snow to get it out.

Works pretty awesome on the smooth flat concrete floor of the basement.

D-90 Pick-up "Project" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10" D19er Axial XR10 105 03-10-2014 05:30 PM
Project "Tombstone" R.I.P "Rest In Pieces" mud digger 2.2 Scale Rigs 25 05-20-2013 07:54 PM
Project "FRANKESTAIN" or "AXIAL FORCE" mykonian General Crawlers 5 03-06-2009 11:37 AM