Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Advice about upgraded esc for my jk rtr needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #1

Default Advice about upgraded esc for my jk rtr needed

hey guys i was just wondering about something.. i was thinking about possibly changing out my stock axial ESC on my 2012 rubi for something a little better. was thinking about my veilineon system out of a mini revo or my castle sidewinder 3 waterproof one. what you guys run in your rigs? and if you have changed out the esc what did you guys go with.

im going to be upgrading my stock steering servo with either my waterproof hitec cant remember the model. or my savox waterproof with i think 208oz. what you guys thinking or ideas?

Last edited by THX_138; 11-17-2013 at 10:44 PM.
scx10freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default re: Advice about upgraded esc for my jk rtr needed

I have a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL waterproof version with my 27T HH TrailMaster Pro motor. Good combo in my opinion.

Check here: http://holmeshobbies.com/Holmes-Hobb...ter-BR-XL.html

I bought my JK with this installed already.

Last edited by ZippoMan; 11-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default re: Advice about upgraded esc for my jk rtr needed

SV3 will give you the rag break needed. and its water proof.
OGXXXOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the quick responses!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
scx10freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Default Re: Advice about upgraded esc for my jk rtr needed

I use the stock ESC and have plenty of drag brake and control...The stock motor has very weak magnets and don't exactly help with "Holding" power on an incline.

With my custom 27T motor i can hold on an almost 45 degree angle and not roll..The stock ESC is a Castle Creations esc from the SV line and is a very good esc.

Only 2S compatible but that's not such a bad thing..3S and up tend to make your truck a money pit with over kill power

Not sure why most think its a bad esc...But if you want something else then go for it.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I am not knocking the stock Axial AE-2 ESC at all. It is a decent ESC for 2S power and yes made by CC. I run AE-2's in 2 of my 3 Wraiths.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Project old school is running a Novak Rooster Crawler esc with a Mystery Stock Pro 27T Brushed Stock Motor. by Trinity.

Project bad betty is running a Novak Rooster Crawler esc with a Tekin Hand Wound 35T Pro Brushed Crawler Motor.

My boys truck is a running a The Dynamite LiPo Tazer with a Duratrax Photon Speed 20T Brushed motor.

That castle sidewinder 3 is going to cog when the truck pulls off. The sidewinder is set up for speed not low end power. The veilineon system out of a mini revo is not made to pull a truck as hevy as a Axial its going to run hot and burn out. I would look in to a Novak Esc Brushless Sensored Motor Combo 21.5T. I have one thy make good power You can crawl and still run fast. If your truck has the castle axial esc in it You can get the castle link and program it to what you want for $20.

Last edited by greengoblin; 11-17-2013 at 11:56 PM.
greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Yeah I am not knocking the stock Axial AE-2 ESC at all. It is a decent ESC for 2S power and yes made by CC. I run AE-2's in 2 of my 3 Wraiths.
lol...wasn't aimed at anyone...just speaking in general.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

for the servo i would go savox there so much better than a hitec. i run the hitec and my mate runs the savox and his steering is so responsive that all but be upgrading mine next year to savox
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I run my ae-2 on 3s, going strong for over a year now. Paired with a HH 35t, such a smooth strong setup. IMO if you are going to stay with a brushed motor and not run 4s and up, the ae-2 is all you need(with a BEC). Now if you want to run 4s and up battery with a brushed motor, BRXL is the way to go. If you want brushless, I think it has to be sensored. So for brushless the MMP is the way to go. This is coming from a guy that likes crawling more then speed and has also realized that doing things right the first time saves money and time later down the road. Food for thought..
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
ilg
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGXXXOG View Post
SV3 will give you the rag break needed. and its water proof.
+1 for SV3. I run one in my JK and have been very happy with it. It's a very versatile esc, and the fact that its water proof means you don't have to worry about it. I also run one in my drift car as well.
ilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams View Post
I run my ae-2 on 3s, going strong for over a year now. Paired with a HH 35t, such a smooth strong setup. IMO if you are going to stay with a brushed motor and not run 4s and up, the ae-2 is all you need(with a BEC). Now if you want to run 4s and up battery with a brushed motor, BRXL is the way to go. If you want brushless, I think it has to be sensored. So for brushless the MMP is the way to go. This is coming from a guy that likes crawling more then speed and has also realized that doing things right the first time saves money and time later down the road. Food for thought..
This or SV3 or my favorite the Tekin FXR, run it in a box with CCBEC, buy good 35T or 45T motor to go with it and run 3s.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advice about upgraded esc for my jk rtr needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
advice needed on esc Nitro_Geezer_UK Electronics 11 06-17-2009 10:54 AM
AX10 RTR - ESC Upgrade Advice Needed! DahlELama Electronics 23 07-15-2008 05:02 PM
Nomadio Sensor and dual ESC advice needed spin addict Electronics 0 07-04-2007 08:17 AM