Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: T-maxx drive shaft question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default T-maxx drive shaft question

I got the shafts and yokes and have tried installing them with grub screws but no matter they sit crooked and its driving my ocd crazy. I have tried to drill out the output shafts on my trans but I can not even scratch them. Turns out i have a full hardened steel trans gear set that i didn't know was installed. I have tried cobalt and titantium bits and gotten no where. Are there any other options to run these or should i just say the heck with it and go with some metal shafts. I was looking at black set of integy aluminum shafts (forget the part number) because its what i can afford at the moment since im in school and not working.
cerpindicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: T-maxx drive shaft question

Go to supershafty and get the 6mm outputs with the holes already drilled.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Which parts did you use?
I had Traxxas shaft and it fited without drilling outputs.

Check this thread.
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i had to drill out the yokes for the flat spot inside them...i think what happened was i took out to much on with the grub screws tighten up it causes it to go cockeyed. I think going with the traxxas style pin/grub screws would fix this but since it has the older (from what i understand) one piece hardened gear set in the trans to use them i have to drill a hole into the output shafts i have destroyed 3 sets of bits in drill presses and my hand drill and all i got to show for it is a torn up cuticle from slipping with one bit broke. My other annoyance with the tmaxx is shafts and the short grub screws is they constantly let go and let the shaft spin in the yoke wallowing it out further no matter how much loctite i use....maybe the scx-10 gods just hate me and i should stick to hotwheels and matchbox cars :(
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
i had to drill out the yokes for the flat spot inside them...i think what happened was i took out to much on with the grub screws tighten up it causes it to go cockeyed. I think going with the traxxas style pin/grub screws would fix this but since it has the older (from what i understand) one piece hardened gear set in the trans to use them i have to drill a hole into the output shafts i have destroyed 3 sets of bits in drill presses and my hand drill and all i got to show for it is a torn up cuticle from slipping with one bit broke. My other annoyance with the tmaxx is shafts and the short grub screws is they constantly let go and let the shaft spin in the yoke wallowing it out further no matter how much loctite i use....maybe the scx-10 gods just hate me and i should stick to hotwheels and matchbox cars :(
You collect Hot wheels and Matchbox? Cool!! I used to but have given up recently due to crappier cars being pumped out.

I have T-Maxx shafts that came with my SCX10 Wrangler. The guy used Crawler Innovations 5mm outputs bolted to a RR hardened aluminum diff gear in the trans. I was wanting to try the one piece bottom gear but it sounds like too much work.

Oh and my outputs have a slight wobble due to CI machining. I can live with it for now.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Do you have flat outputs like that

or round with holes like that

?

I have the last. So I needed to drill Traxxas yokes a bit to sit on Axial outputs and trim small ring on transmission end cause they are longer.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

yes flat like that first one but my gear is the one piece hardened steel from robinson racing...at least i think they are i didn't install them so i don't actually know the manufacturer but they look like all the other rrp sets i have ran in the past. I i also had to cut them down a bit from being to long.

I wouldn't mind the wobble so much (aside from my normal ocd) but the wobble causes it to rub very badly on my spur gear which i could fix with a smaller spur but damn it it still will drive me bat crap crazy.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
You collect Hot wheels and Matchbox? Cool!! I used to but have given up recently due to crappier cars being pumped out.
It's really my little boy that collects them now but i agree compared to the old stuff the new stuff just doesn't hold up to hammer strikes like the old ones did when you are trying to smash em up so they look like the cars the monster trucks drive over on monster jam
Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I would suggest to change this gear for one with holes in outputs.
IMO it is impossible to use Traxxas shafts on spur end, they are big. Especially after you shortened output. Crawler Innovations offer long outputs to prevent interference with spur gear, see link above.

Pic

Long for spur end.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the link will give it a look tomorrow when i get out of class its late and i'm about to fall asleep at the wheel lol
Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I tried using grub screws with my tmaxx shafts and I know the wobble you are talking about. I had the older style hardened diff gears and ended up having to replace them with the new pin style gears. I think you cant tighten the grub screws tight enough in the plastic maxx shafts for it to hold hard enough. As for drilling the output, it will probably be the same amount of $ either way you go. Whether you replace your output, or buy a bit, plus your time and depending on your tools if you get the hole in the right place. I am no expert on drilling the hardened steel but I would start by checking out some carbide bits.
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Carbide would be great but i can't find them in stock in the sizes i need. Hobby shop here had the outputs with the holes in them in stock but at 20 bucks I'm just going to break down and spend another 8 and give the aluminum integy's a shot and see what happens unless i can find some mip's on ebay or something
Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

buy mips or go with crawler innovations outputs i made the mistake of trying to skip here and it failed to the point i had to buy a complete trans (of course i was running a pro4 on 3s) went through 2 sets of junfacs then finally bought mips and no more drivetrain problems
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote

T-maxx drive shaft question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drive shaft question nickvb1996 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 05-04-2013 04:23 PM
drive shaft question? TRAV Kyosho Crawlers 3 01-06-2010 03:24 PM
Drive Shaft Question.. HAWAIIROCKBUSTER Newbie General 2 05-07-2007 11:37 AM
Hot Bodies Mega Travel Drive Shaft 2.5 Maxx e-maxxcrawl Traxxas Crawlers 8 04-21-2005 12:25 PM