Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Wroncho owners...need your help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #21
HCE

Default Re: Wroncho owners...need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsadvar View Post
I built mine with the wraith skid. I made crossmembers out of 1/4 inch delryn rod. I also put the supershafty bomb proof trans, 32 pitch gears mamba max pro and roc412. The truck preforms awesome. I have a wraith built real close to harleys bomb proof and liked the way it worked so the the wroncho had to have the same set up. I will post pics as soon as the camera charges. I like the stock honcho for trails but the wroncho is a lot of fun to.
Do you think your wroncho performs as well as your wraith?
HCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #22

mccollom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #23

Im still waiting on lower front metal links to arrive. How important is it that the links are bent exactly the same? I think it has to do with the axles not being perfectly squared. Any tips on getting these the same?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #24

They dont have to be bent the same, but keep them the same length eye to eye, keep the axles perpendicular to the frame rails, and dont screw up the pinion angle.

Thats why I would just use a wraith skid instead, because you can just use aftermarket wraith links and not have to worry about clearing the driveshafts.

Last edited by rccrawler530; 11-25-2013 at 04:32 PM.
rccrawler530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrawler530 View Post
To answer your original question, yes it is pretty much just wraith axles and links. Its a fairly simple project. All your doing is swapping out the wraith tuber chassis for the scx10 frame rails.

1. Remove the wraith skid, links and axles from the wraith chassis.

2. Leave the shocks because you will be using the scx10 shocks instead. Using the wraith shocks makes it way too tall and top heavy.

3. File down the sides and bottom edges of the wraith skid so it fits perfect into the C channels of the scx10 frame rails.

4. Drill new holes in the scx10 frame rails to match the wraith skid mounting holes

5. Mount the wraith skid, links and axles to the scx10 chassis.

6. Using the stock scx10 shock towers, make custom cross members that fit between them, because the wraith axles will interfere with the cross member locations on the frame, so you wont be using those.

7. Mount the electronics, transmission, etc.

8. Make new body mount posts.

Thats pretty much all that needs to be done. I hope this helps.
This sounds like the better way to do it than using the SCX skidplate. I have Wraith and SCX10, but have not built a Wroncho yet.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #26
HCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrawler530 View Post
They dont have to be bent the same, but keep them the same length eye to eye, keep the axles perpendicular to the frame rails, and dont screw up the pinion angle.

Thats why I would just use a wraith skid instead, because you can just use aftermarket wraith links and not have to worry about clearing the driveshafts.

The more I look into this I think your right. I'm going to use the wraith skid plate and get the Vanquish link kit. There already bent properly and should work perfect?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCE View Post
Do you think your wroncho performs as well as your wraith?
Depends on the terrain. The wroncho is a little lower geared but I think they are pretty dang close. I like the wroncho because its different. You can buy a wraith but you have to build a wroncho.

The bottom one is my Honcho, the other two are my wroncho. Just for comparison.
Attached Images

Last edited by fsadvar; 11-25-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Add pics
fsadvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Forgive my ignorance; but I have to ask what performance advantage a wroncho might have besides the wider wheel base?..Ive seen some narrow the axles to fit like stock before so was just wondering....Are the gears better suited to trail run/crawl in the wraith axles?..or?????
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #29
HCE

I'm thinking I'm going to just buy axle housings, get the VP stage 1 kit, take the HD gears that are in my existing scx axles and get the VP link kit. It should look pretty factory. I'm going to do the wraith skid plate but get my machinist buddy to make me an aluminum skid that I won't have to drill the scx chassis. Also going to get a proper bumper mount/crossmember machined!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #30

Between the the wraith and wroncho, the wroncho is a little bit more top heavy, not much but. I have not got to play with adding a little weight to the wroncho as far as axle weights to possibly help. I still have some tuning to do as far as ballance and such. Still learning on this. This is my wroncho as above and my wraith as they sit.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #31
HCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsadvar View Post
Depends on the terrain. The wroncho is a little lower geared but I think they are pretty dang close. I like the wroncho because its different. You can buy a wraith but you have to build a wroncho.

The bottom one is my Honcho, the other two are my wroncho. Just for comparison.

So you did the wraith skid plate conversion? Are those axial links?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #32
HCE

Your wroncho looks awesome BTW
Old 11-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Funny that people say that wroncho's aren't scaled...they are pretty much a full width/1ton swap on a real rig. My 1.1 went front 62-63wms to 67wms. A lot of the width can be dictated by the wheels. The tires on the other hand sometimes don't look scale. Some setups look the would be 42+ inches in real life vs. 37s-42s like most 1:1s would have on a full width setup...diggin the wroncho a regardless!!!
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #34

the only reason to bend the links on Wroncho is if you flip the transmission. Flipping it will line up the drive shafts to the pumpkins perfect so you wont have any bind and not stretch the shafts too far apart. Leave the trans normal and figure a way to get longer drive shafts? That might work?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCE View Post
So you did the wraith skid plate conversion? Are those axial links?
The top links are the axial aluminum bent links. I ran the stock plastic lowers for a while then I read some threads on building your own, I built the complete set on the honcho and the lowers on the wroncho out of ss allthread and sleeved with ss also. This did add a little weight down low. I also added beef tubes in the plastic axles for stregnth and more lower weight.

Thanks for the comment on my wroncho also
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #36
HCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccollom405 View Post
the only reason to bend the links on Wroncho is if you flip the transmission. Flipping it will line up the drive shafts to the pumpkins perfect so you wont have any bind and not stretch the shafts too far apart. Leave the trans normal and figure a way to get longer drive shafts? That might work?

I will be flipping the tranny. It makes more sense to have a well aligned drive line I would say.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #37

My first Wroncho build with scx10 skid/motor plate,axial wraith trans and axial wraith alum. Upgrade link kit, note upper bent links mounted on outer part of frame to clear driveshafts (not scale but it works),. First pic 1.9 1gen swampers, hilux cab..100mm king shocks..

Honcho cab 2.2 swampers, added 20mm extension to lower link, and drilled holes on frame to move upper links to get a nice driveshaft angle

Last edited by Lava Crawlah; 11-27-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Lava Crawlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #38
HCE

Dude, that's bad ass! Got any pics of your link setup?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #39

Thanks man.. Found some pics. Edited my last post above, on link extension and drilling holes on frame for upper links to fit honcho wheelbase.. I am using wraith trans. So I am not sure if everything will clear if u are using scx10 trans..

Front pic.. hilux cab 4" losi shocks,small droop shock bracket..

Front full flex links just barely touching frame but clears driveshaft

Rear links close but clears frame and driveshaft note small spacer just to get a lil more wheelbase

I sold the frame setup above and went with wraith skid setup which u will need a lil more work to get it up an going.. I did Homemade links and 91mm frame crossmembers

Wroncho on the left and my mud/water toy on right.. YouTube channel "go4broke808" got some vids up check it out
Lava Crawlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #40
HCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Crawlah View Post
Thanks man.. Found some pics. Edited my last post above, on link extension and drilling holes on frame for upper links to fit honcho wheelbase.. I am using wraith trans. So I am not sure if everything will clear if u are using scx10 trans..

Front pic.. hilux cab 4" losi shocks,small droop shock bracket..

Front full flex links just barely touching frame but clears driveshaft

Rear links close but clears frame and driveshaft note small spacer just to get a lil more wheelbase

I sold the frame setup above and went with wraith skid setup which u will need a lil more work to get it up an going.. I did Homemade links and 91mm frame crossmembers

Wroncho on the left and my mud/water toy on right.. YouTube channel "go4broke808" got some vids up check it out

Yeah I'm doing the Wraith skid plate. I'm going to get my buddy to mill me one that will fit in the frame rails properly and won't have to drill holes in the frame rails!

Wroncho owners...need your help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wroncho help Jett Axial SCX-10 2 04-10-2013 06:44 PM
wroncho Chodey24 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 08-29-2012 10:08 AM