Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Heavy axle options for Narrow XRmod??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Heavy axle options for Narrow XRmod??

I've done the Narrow XRmod to my stock axles (E10 housing, but same as SCX10 housing). I'd really like to go to a heavy (or a version of the Phat axles) axle to get a lot more weight down low.

I don't have any interest in beef tubes or $200+ tier-1 axles. Just looking for heavy housing options that I can switch to and keep the Narrow XRmod width and steering.

I've got 3-4oz of wheel weights stuck on my current axle housings / server plate, and while it works, I'd rather those oz's be 'in' the axle rather than 'on' it.

I've seen the XRmod Phat Axles, but I think those would be full width XRmod, right? I don't want to that wide over stock. I'm not opposed to going to an SCX10.2 style axle, I don't think, but that would require me to move to CMS, new components for the different style housing and likely end up costing more $ that I am interested in spending on a "toy truck".

Any advice greatly appreciated.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Heavy axle options for Narrow XRmod??

XR Mod Phat Axles...

Specs:

Total width drive shaft pin hole to pin hole: 207mm

23mm longer than stock total length.

Slightly wider than stock. How'd you do the XR mod without beef tubes (or knock-off equivalent)? You could change to the new SSD Pro44 axle but that's AR44 axle based and you'd need all new components. To do just a front axle is probably in the $150 ballpark.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Here is another option:

Using Dlux knuckles to run SCXII universals on my SCX10 and it is a lot easier than a XR mod.

The only mods are to shim between the universal and inner bearing to align the universal pivot axis with the knuckle axis, my truck required .8 mm of shims here (you can kinda see the shim stack in the pic). Then I had to file the little nub off the back of the 12 mm hex to compensate for the shimming.

The whole setup turns smooths up to 60 degrees then the knuckles hit the c-hubs.

Not bad for a scale truck.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
XR Mod Phat Axles...

Specs:

Total width drive shaft pin hole to pin hole: 207mm

23mm longer than stock total length.

Slightly wider than stock. How'd you do the XR mod without beef tubes (or knock-off equivalent)? You could change to the new SSD Pro44 axle but that's AR44 axle based and you'd need all new components. To do just a front axle is probably in the $150 ballpark.
I used stock Axial XR10 chubs, knuckles, and axle shafts (U-joint shafts). I did use 1/8" schedule 80 (.080" wall) brass pipe nipple, cut, drilled & tapped to screw the chub screws into (but inside & thru the housing, not externally exposed).

By my beef tubes comment, what I really meant by that was I wanted a heavy housing, not just put tubes in the plastic housing to make it heavy.

Would just using the normal SCX10 Phat Axle housing and putting the XR10 parts on it work? I guess it should, right?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
I used stock Axial XR10 chubs, knuckles, and axle shafts (U-joint shafts). I did use 1/8" schedule 80 (.080" wall) brass pipe nipple, cut, drilled & tapped to screw the chub screws into (but inside & thru the housing, not externally exposed).

By my beef tubes comment, what I really meant by that was I wanted a heavy housing, not just put tubes in the plastic housing to make it heavy.

Would just using the normal SCX10 Phat Axle housing and putting the XR10 parts on it work? I guess it should, right?
I'll never understand why people want non-plastic axle housings. The plastic slides across rock better than any metal you're going to find a housing made of. That's why the most expensive metal axle you can find, Curries from Vanquish, have a delrin skid on the pumpkin. Otherwise they'd hand on everything. If you want metal housings go for it. I'll take plastic housings with metal inserts over metal housings all day every day. It sounds like you have a great setup already.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Oh I understand the drawback of metal housing not sliding across rock as good as plastic. I would just like to get all the weight I've added with the stick on wheel weights 'in' the housing itself, rather than 'on' the outside where it looks jakey. I'd try and address the slid ability with a thin layer of UHMW or Delrin.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Here is another option:

Using Dlux knuckles to run SCXII universals on my SCX10 and it is a lot easier than a XR mod.
The only mods are to shim between the universal and inner bearing to align the universal pivot axis with the knuckle axis, my truck required .8 mm of shims here (you can kinda see the shim stack in the pic). Then I had to file the little nub off the back of the 12 mm hex to compensate for the shimming.

The whole setup turns smooths up to 60 degrees then the knuckles hit the c-hubs.
Not bad for a scale truck.
What chubs are you running?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
What chubs are you running?
Vanquish 8 degree SCX10 c-hubs.

The knuckles can be adjusted to fit 8 degree or regular SCX10 c-hubs.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Old thread I know

I've been running the normal Boom Racing Phat axles for 2 years now without any issues at all.
I'm running my custom SCX Rod on 3s.
Clue to get them work is to shim the pinion.

Anyway over to the Phat axle/narrow xrmod topic.

I'm started on converting my Phat axle for narrow xrmod today.
First of you have to grind off the paint so a aluminium c-hub will fit as the coating on these are thick.

Tested today and orginal XR10 plastic c-hub will slide on the axle with press fit.
I choosed to buy the Boom Racing SCX10 HD Steel universals for XRMOD and cut them down as they are for normal xrmod width.
Compared to a stock drive shaft they need to be cut down 12mm and file the tangs to fit the locker as usual.

Just need to cut and grind and order some new bearings.

So yes, if you want weight low down, Boom Racing SCX10 Phat axle with narrow XRMOD is possible

And for the record I don't think these axles slide worse over rocks than the plastic ones.
In fact my plastic ones had rash and deep scratches, my Phat axles are smooth under.
Several of my mates have Vanquish axles, and they get stuck more and get way more scratches on the rocks than the BR ones does.
May be down to the fact the SCX10 BR Phat axles are pot metal and not aluminium.
caprinut is offline   Reply With Quote

Heavy axle options for Narrow XRmod?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering angle D44 vs. SCX10 XRmod idaho General Crawlers 13 01-20-2017 12:35 PM
Xrmod 0311 Axial SCX-10 2 02-16-2016 12:57 PM
Narrow Axle Options w/Lots of Steering Angle Tommy R General Scale Talk 65 04-16-2013 07:44 PM
axle question, Large scale heavy duty axle? summervillecrawler Axial Wraith 6 01-31-2012 01:38 PM
Narrow 40 series 23mm options? youngblood Tires and Wheels 3 04-19-2008 11:47 AM