Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: axial universals...really worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default axial universals...really worth it?

I am looking at buying a jeep wrangler kit as the bug has bitten again after getting rid of my dingo earlier in the year.

I remember the dingo had a crap turning circle for the reasons we already know, but I would like to know how much more angle, before chatter am I going to get with uni's over the standard dog bone setup?

I won't be doing the ali steering knuckles and c hubs as I am on a budget and need other basic bits!

So is the $33 really worth the exrra degree or whatever it is or should I rather leave it for other important bits like ali upper links?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: axial universals...really worth it?

I got the Integy Universals..alot less money..They work good so far but you need a small washer behind the wheel nut to fully tighten the wheel to the hub because the threads weren't cut long enough...but they still work just fine with a smalll washer behind the wheel nut..cant even see it really.

You can only have so much steering anyway from the truck without other mods...you wont get more steering per say by just adding universals but you need them if you want more than stock. The stock shafts will bind after a certain point...the universals will allow more than stock before a problem.

I used a grub screws on the front sides of the c hubs to replace the button head screws to gain a couple more millimeters of steering.

Or you can grind down part of the stock knuckle where it will hit the stock screw on the c hub for the same results.

Hope this helps

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-26-2013 at 05:19 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

don`t bother with axial ones the pins like to break (well they did with me) but if you do get a set get some gunnar pins to replace the standard ones
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post
don`t bother with axial ones the pins like to break (well they did with me) but if you do get a set get some gunnar pins to replace the standard ones
The axials are the strongest thing untill you start shelling out $90+ Just take a drill bit (i forgot the size i used) and cut down the shank till it is the same length as the stock one. I did that and havn't had any problems since.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Uni's OR cvd's? I think XR an wraith when I see uni's..
I think scx an ax when I see cvd's..

Either way.. I have the axial cvd's in my scx running a HH 16t crawlmaster on 4s.. love the rooster's and the low end control to conquer any rock pile. Even if I have to push my way thru!
Never back out in a bind, NEVER! And I hate reverse...

I have Never had a issue with mine.... well over 1½ years worth of use..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr lee View Post
I am looking at buying a jeep wrangler kit as the bug has bitten again after getting rid of my dingo earlier in the year.

I remember the dingo had a crap turning circle for the reasons we already know, but I would like to know how much more angle, before chatter am I going to get with uni's over the standard dog bone setup?

I won't be doing the ali steering knuckles and c hubs as I am on a budget and need other basic bits!

So is the $33 really worth the exrra degree or whatever it is or should I rather leave it for other important bits like ali upper links?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)
If it is a choice between the CVDs and metal upper links, I would go with the metal links. That will reduce the twisting you get from having upper plastic links.

I would save up money so that you could do the CHUBs, High Clearance Knuckles and CVDs together.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

this is the angle i get on mine , had to back it down a bit becauee the tires were hitting the springs.

atf300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Suck it up!

I ran Axial cvd's on my comp rig. They worked well once I replaced the pins. I have MIP cvd's in my Honcho now and they spit pins and chew up knuckles like they are 2 for $1.

If I were to do it again...I would go with the XR conversion. Much more reliable, more available steering angle.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the feedback and comments guys. It is really appreciated.

I am now definitely going to try and squeeze the upper links in as well as the uni's.

On towers site they are listed as AX10 universals!

I am not keen to do the XR10 mod just want a little more steering from as few parts as possible and I assume the uni's will suite me there...

Is there a reason why the pins fail? Is it a bad design or just the way they wear?
What pins can be used as replacements?

Cheers
Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Suck it up!

I think its mainly because they are only 1/16" diameter. Turn to sharp and put an extra load on them and something has to give.

Check the vendors section for Gunnars Pins. He makes some out of hardened steel that lasts quite a bit longer than stock.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

mine kept popping pins, i ended up drilling through the cvd, and putting in a slightly bigger diameter piano wire in there, havent had an issue since.
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:28 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

@ 6sharky9 - are these the ones you have?

"Integy steel universal drive shaft scx10 honch/dingo" part no. C24570

Besides the threads on the axles being too short did you have any other fitment issues or were they just drop in and go?

Anyone else use these universals and have anything good (or bad) to say about them?
Has anyone changed from Axial's to integy due to the constant pin failures and never looked back?

From the picture on towers site they seem to come with spare pins! Are they know to fail?
I know there is a limit to everything but I do not plan on killing my rig. I like semi scale builds so I will only be doing light crawling and trailing...

Anyone compared the Axial and integy side by side to see which one would give more steering than the other or is it much of a muchness?

Last edited by mr lee; 11-29-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr lee View Post
@ 6sharky9 - are these the ones you have?

"Integy steel universal drive shaft scx10 honch/dingo" part no. C24570

Besides the threads on the axles being too short did you have any other fitment issues or were they just drop in and go?

Anyone else use these universals and have anything good (or bad) to say about them?
Has anyone changed from Axial's to integy due to the constant pin failures and never looked back?

From the picture on towers site they seem to come with spare pins! Are they know to fail?
I know there is a limit to everything but I do not plan on killing my rig. I like semi scale builds so I will only be doing light crawling and trailing...

Anyone compared the Axial and integy side by side to see which one would give more steering than the other or is it much of a muchness?

They were drop in and go...I don't recall the part number but they are for the scx10 and have an orange ish band on the ends....Just use a washer behind the wheel nut so the wheels tighten properly.

Im looking at your steering angles and hear a lot about axleshafts breaking with that amount of steering....Im thinking the integy axles are fine for with less steering radius but maybe not what you may need with that set up. .Most wont consider the integy axles as strong quality axles so I would say if you get these with the amount of steering you have its at your own risk..Ive seen people say the Vanquish axles are the best ...so if you have $100 dollars to shell out for them then that's probably the best route if you need super strength...I don't care for all the expensive mods needed to gain that much steering..Im taking another route to gain steering...There was just another thread where someone broke a new set of axial axles trying one of the latest "trick" steering mods...I honestly think its the excess stress put on the components from the excess steering..with all things being somewhat normal I don't see that the axial shafts wouldn't be strong and work as intended for normal design as the integy sets.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-29-2013 at 03:00 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have the axials and i like them
greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
The axials are the strongest thing untill you start shelling out $90+ Just take a drill bit (i forgot the size i used) and cut down the shank till it is the same length as the stock one. I did that and havn't had any problems since.
Yes. I've been running Axial CVDS in my SCX for several years on 3s no problems and I"m not easy on the throttle. I haven't done the pin mod yet and am still running the stock pins lol. I carry spares though, need to cut some piano wire to length and replace just in case.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I've run my Axial universals thru quite a few 3s battery charges...
I wasn't easy on it for every run.

so far... they're holding up just fine.

If the pins did break...
I wouldn't want to replace them with something stronger.

reason being...

if the pins are stronger... then something else will likely give.

I'd likely just get some piano wire at my LHS
cut that to the needed lengths and replace the pins with that.

I'd rather break a pin... then the axle itself.

^ but that's only if/when they break.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Mine didnt break pins at all, they would literally just pop out I found it a couple times one was in my garage, the other on concrete at a local hobby store. almost like the pin was too lose, I run 3s on mine, with stronger pins in there i havent had any issues, and i love em. I did however pick up a set of the cappu universals because i got em for 12 bucks shipped lol, so it didnt hurt to try em, so far theyre holding up fine, but im going to do some bashing on my new truck and see what it takes to break them.
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
They were drop in and go...I don't recall the part number but they are for the scx10 and have an orange ish band on the ends....Just use a washer behind the wheel nut so the wheels tighten properly.

Im looking at your steering angles and hear a lot about axleshafts breaking with that amount of steering....Im thinking the integy axles are fine for with less steering radius but maybe not what you may need with that set up. .Most wont consider the integy axles as strong quality axles so I would say if you get these with the amount of steering you have its at your own risk..Ive seen people say the Vanquish axles are the best ...so if you have $100 dollars to shell out for them then that's probably the best route if you need super strength...I don't care for all the expensive mods needed to gain that much steering..Im taking another route to gain steering...There was just another thread where someone broke a new set of axial axles trying one of the latest "trick" steering mods...I honestly think its the excess stress put on the components from the excess steering..with all things being somewhat normal I don't see that the axial shafts wouldn't be strong and work as intended for normal design as the integy sets.
I was wondering about the integys, ran out of money ordering my "Christmas presents" yesterday but am thinking about getting a set and trying them out. $16 and some shipping I figure I am not out much if the turn out to crap. And I agree, stock throw shouldn't be an issue for them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
I was wondering about the integys, ran out of money ordering my "Christmas presents" yesterday but am thinking about getting a set and trying them out. $16 and some shipping I figure I am not out much if the turn out to crap. And I agree, stock throw shouldn't be an issue for them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Axial uni's man, save up for them.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

axial universals...really worth it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 Universals raceeng18 Axial SCX-10 17 06-08-2013 03:36 PM
Axial Universals sally1800 Axial Wraith 14 08-08-2011 05:23 PM