Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Broken Axial Front Axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Broken Axial Front Axle

Hi, guys. I upgraded my dingo with the axial high steer knuckles and axles. I broke one axle pin on the first battery pack. I replaced both front pins with the gunner pin. About 6 battery packs later I broke a shaft in half right where it comes out of the axle housing. I use it, but am not aggressive with it. Anyone else have these issues?
SCX10Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Broken Axial Front Axle

if you aren't using universal axles that's pretty much your problem...the stock axles and ends arent designed to take anymore steering than you the stock truck provides...its binding and when it binds hard youre going to break something,
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

They are the axial "universal" axles
Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10Dingo View Post
They are the axial "universal" axles
Ok..well maybe someone else has had that problem..i have no answers for you them..sorry.

I got integy universals and used grub screw instead of the button head screw on the front side of the c hubs to gain more steering.

Not familiar with the high steer knuckles and how it changes things.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-27-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The high steer knuckles basically relocate the steer arm up above that pesky screw head allowing for much more steering, couple that with the axial cvd's and its a breakable combination. Limiting the steering a bit will help, or be very conscious about powering on during full lock steering. The universals can have the same issue, religiously laying off the throttle while extremely steering has helped.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

So is this just the nature of the beast? Or, are there better axles that I can use so that they dont break?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Super 300's or vp vvd's apparently.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Axial CVD's are complete and utter crap. Stock axles are worse. For the scx/ax axle I'd say the VP VVD is the only option currently on the market.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Get new axles and don't use the high steer knuckle crap...use grub screws where the front button head screws are and be done with out issues of breaking axles and burning up expensive servos.

Even the "CHEAP" as its called Integy axles are plenty strong...just don't use the high steer knuckles and problem solved

The Axials are strong enough also..dump the knuckles and get regular ones if you have to have aluminum ones...I still use the stock ones with no problems.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-27-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Get new axles and don't use the high steer knuckle crap...use grub screws where the front button head screws are and be done with out issues of breaking axles and burning up expensive servos.

Even the "CHEAP" as its called Integy axles are plenty strong...just don't use the high steer knuckles and problem solved

The Axials are strong enough also..dump the knuckles and get regular ones if you have to have aluminum ones...I still use the stock ones with no problems.

You're right, keep the steering angle limited to less than 30* and any axle will live.

Unfortunately most users aren't satisfied with crappy performance. There is a reason the xr mod is so popular, it gains massive steering angle and it is the strongest option on the market currently.

EDIT:

Point proven in the post below.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
RCC Addict

"cheap" integy axles
Grub screw mod
Stock plastic steering knuckles

Old 11-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ok..well maybe someone else has had that problem..i have no answers for you them..sorry.

I got integy universals and used grub screw instead of the button head screw on the front side of the c hubs to gain more steering.

Not familiar with the high steer knuckles and how it changes things.
If your using a grub screw how does it hold the Chub in place.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You're right, keep the steering angle limited to less than 30* and any axle will live.

Unfortunately most users aren't satisfied with crappy performance. There is a reason the xr mod is so popular, it gains massive steering angle and it is the strongest option on the market currently.

EDIT:

Point proven in the post below.
Its more than stock and I can have much more if I feel I need it but the difference is I wont have to spend 150.00 to do it.

Just glad its your money and not mine
Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Its more than stock and I can have much more if I feel I need it but the difference is I wont have to spend 150.00 to do it.

I'm interested in how your going to get more steering with that setup.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
If your using a grub screw how does it hold the Chub in place.
If you buy aftermarket c hubs you get grub screws with it.

I removed my stock screws and used grub screw out of a front bumper mount to mount the bumper..I had to cut them down so it doesn't rub the axle shafts from being to long..but it simply screws in..screw it in till its flush..I will say the stock screw thread patterns is a bit larger than the grub screw so it not a super tight fit when screwed in but it hasn't loosened up or fallen ..make sure the back screws are tight and the grub screw will not allow the c hub to slide in the front because it sits against it.

Since ive done the mod ive figured a better way to do it without removing the stock screw...just grind down the area on the knuckle that hits the stock screw and its the same thing...Ill probably switch to that method if the grub screw doesn't stay in place.

If you want even more youll need to do the grub screw method and grind down some of the c hub to gain more radius...can always apply a small dab of silicone to make sure the screw doest losen and come out.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-27-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
I'm interested in how your going to get more steering with that setup.
Turn your truck upside down and turn the wheel to full lock...youll see where the stock knuckle hits the button head screw and stops..imagine the screw out now...you get that much more steering..not a lot but its more.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

You cannot have much more steering if you want it since the stock craptastic plastic knuckles are hitting the housing.

If anyone is going to buy alloy C hubs, knuckles and axle shafts from stock it's a whopping $20 more to step up to the XR setup over using the ax/scx parts. That makes for a MUCH stronger setup with MUCH more steering and it gets rid of the garbage stock parts.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You cannot have much more steering if you want it since the stock craptastic plastic knuckles are hitting the housing.

If anyone is going to buy alloy C hubs, knuckles and axle shafts from stock it's a whopping $20 more to step up to the XR setup over using the ax/scx parts. That makes for a MUCH stronger setup with MUCH more steering and it gets rid of the garbage stock parts.

Tell that to the OP that just already broke a set of new axles he just bought from all the great magic steering mods and those who say you need to buy stronger 100 dollar axles so he "maybe" wont break another axle.

Hence where I get my cost from.

And stock is only junk if you spend a fortune on a steering servo you don't need in the first place...a lot of mods I see create their own set of problems..I don't chose to fall into that money pit...to eaches own I suppose...Id be more than willing to put my stock "junk" against any of these overpriced money pits on the trail.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Turn your truck upside down and turn the wheel to full lock...youll see where the stock knuckle hits the button head screw and stops..imagine the screw out now...you get that much more steering..not a lot but its more.
An even better way to do this is to counter sink the chub and use a countersunk screw on the front.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Tell that to the OP that just already broke a set of new axles he just bought from all the great magic steering mods and those who say you need to buy stronger 100 dollar axles so he "maybe" wont break another axle.

Hence where I get my cost from.

And stock is only junk if you spend a fortune on a steering servo you don't need in the first place...a lot of mods I see create their own set of problems..I don't chose to fall into that money pit...to eaches own I suppose...Id be more than willing to put my stock "junk" against any of these overpriced money pits on the trail.

He had JUNK axles with high steer knuckles. Nowhere in that post does he mention a high torque servo or any other steering mods done that could have caused the breakage. You are reading words that simply aren't there.

If using the stock type ax/scx knuckles & C hubs then yes, $95 axles are the only viable option currently available. I suggest the XR mod if anyone is going to upgrade to alloy steering parts anyway. Even if you don't need the steering it can easily be limited and you'll be able to enjoy the stronger parts.

Who is to say someone doesn't need a high torque servo? If you run with a craptastic sub 150 oz servo and you're happy with it great. You're happy with junk that doesn't mean everyone else should be.

Broken Axial Front Axle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX 10 Broken front axle PowerCrazy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 04-19-2011 09:52 PM
front axle broken out of box? kcmudbug General Crawlers 3 07-07-2006 11:42 PM
Broken front Axle Replaced !!! kknigh General Crawlers 5 05-13-2006 07:12 AM
Broken front axle scout21972 General Crawlers 16 01-17-2006 09:15 PM
Broken Front Axle Stub TommyGp General Crawlers 5 11-20-2005 06:40 PM