Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX-10 Preliminary Build ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

Default SCX-10 Preliminary Build ?

I have been wanting to build a crawler for a while now, and this year the wife picked me up one for Christmas.
It's either the dingo kit or the G6. I won't know until Christmas. Until then I have been researching motor, esc, servo options.

For the motor it looks like a 35t will be a good option.
Originally I thought I would go with a Tekin Fxr 35T PRO combo since I already have Tekin in my SC10 and I'm invested in the link.
But it looks like I should also run a BEC, in which case I would go with a CC BEC.

From what I read its best to get the CC link to take advantage of all its features.
If I'm going to do that I guess there is no need to stick with Tekin.
So I am also interested in a Holmes Hobbies Esc and Motor.

So bottom line I'm looking for some feedback between the two systems.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited by exedotbat; 12-07-2013 at 05:28 AM.
exedotbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX-10 Preliminary Build ?

Waterproof BRXL, HH 35 turn and a CC BEC. Quality parts that you only have to buy once. The brxl is good for 6s so it'll be useful for years to come if you decide to go big and the link will work on the brxl and the bec.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

A lot love the HH BR-XL system..Very affordable and reliable.
Has a decent 6v 5 amp bec built in and you can get a water proofed version if running in water or snow is your thing.

Motors are top of the line at any price range..you cant go wrong with HH
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

HH BRXL with the holmes motor of your choice. Great products! I run two sets in my jk and honcho and never have a problem. Always pleased with the way they perform
Epcampau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #5

The HH BR-XL looks like a good option, even though it has superior internal BEC ratings compared to the FX-R. Is it still better to go with the external BEC from Castle? I don't mind spending the extra money, if its going to last longer.

For the Radio I just plan on picking up a second receiver for my Futaba 3PL

Currently I have some Gens Ace 5000 mAh 40c 2s 7.4v batteries that I plan on using.

I haven't picked a servo yet, I have a futaba laying around but I don't think it will have enough torque. I am currently running a Savox servo in my SC10 that I am happy with so I may look at them. However I have read good things about the Solar 772, but I am open to ideas.

As for the Holmes motor's is there a certain one I should look at?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
RCC Addict

To get you going the torque master sport motors are pretty well built for 35 dollars.

I think you can get the esc and a motor combo and save a little on cost...you can get whatever turn you want with the combo.
Its the BR-XL sport combo I believe...you just put in what turn motor you want with it...They have a waterproof version also for a little more but you lose warranty days..its a 60 day warranty for the waterproof esc.

Im sure you can use the castle external BEC if you wanted.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #7

Yeah I saw the warranty difference, and will stick with the non waterproof version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Talking Re: SCX-10 Preliminary Build ?

From the get go a Holmes hobbies waterproof brxl sport combo with 35 turn motor and get John to waterproof a cc bec and you will never have a problem,they offer a service to program the bec however you like for a few bucks more. If you go this route you will be set for good and won't have to buy the castle link. I can't tell the difference,if my unimog is a u boat or a goat,it just keeps on trucking.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #9

So I ended up getting the Honcho RTR, originally I was bummed it was not the kit. However after playing with it, I am actually really happy with the RTR. It has actually started to change my mind about RTR's all together.

I have been looking through the manual, and also the instructions to the 4 link kit (which I do not have) And I had two questions.
1) Is there anything that explains the concept behind the shock angles, and the pros and cons of each setup?
2) How come in the link kit instructions they end up telling you to mount the shocks on a angle, when the the standard setup seems to be mounted straight?

I am contemplating picking up the link kit, or making my own links.

I ordered the bearing from fast eddy to replace the plastic bushing on the stock servo. I also dropped in a 17t pinion I had lying around.

Besides links, I am only going to upgrade when items start to break.

SCX-10 Preliminary Build ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX 10 Build JustMe Axial SCX-10 42 01-03-2011 03:05 PM
Preliminary MDRCC logo bigdodge88 Maryland 49 03-12-2009 07:26 AM
Preliminary NN Clod pics Spoon Tamiya Clod Buster 6 10-31-2005 06:13 PM