Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: front upper link assistance...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default front upper link assistance...

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler scx10 RTR kit with a 3 link upper setup which has worn out. In looking at the extra parts which came with the kit, I have 4 extra links from parts tree number AX80043 item number 2.

Can anyone confirm if that's the links needed for the front upper 4 link setup?

Looks like I have everything else needed including the 4 link truss an the plastic joints to insert in the links.

I am thinking a aluminum 4 link setup in my future, probably early next year. But I want to make a axle swap first. So this repair is just to allow me to run the rig during the winter.

Thanks,
John
johnfm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: front upper link assistance...

Looks like that should work to make the 4 link front as long as you have the spare truss. Try it and see how it all fits. Servo might hit the front cross member if the links are too long up top.

My Jeep came 4 linked front with custom made links. I had to make the uppers about 2mm longer to get the front pinion rotated up so the DS angle wasn't so steep!!

Last edited by ZippoMan; 12-12-2013 at 10:21 PM.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

johnfm3 look at this post for the links length

My Honcho RTR and some mods

I have a honcho and it's the same wb as the jeep.
Rorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info on the length, but I am not in a position to do that at this time. If the parts I have are not the correct ones, then I will repair the 3 link with those parts I do have an run it longer.

This summer I am planning a Wraith axle swap an Suspension Lift an want to build custom longer links.

John
Old 12-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

So I called axial support to see if the parts tree AX80043 contained the front links. The result of this call was no good. At this time, with XMass around the corner an a family including 5 kids, I am not doing anything more than replacing whats there with the spare parts which came with the kit. I will deal with this after the new year when I can invest funds in my hobbies.

Given the lengths provided, I may see if a local auto parts store can measure the length an let me know if the ones I have are the correct length.

Keep ya posted.

John
Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfm3 View Post
So I called axial support to see if the parts tree AX80043 contained the front links. The result of this call was no good. At this time, with XMass around the corner an a family including 5 kids, I am not doing anything more than replacing whats there with the spare parts which came with the kit. I will deal with this after the new year when I can invest funds in my hobbies.

Given the lengths provided, I may see if a local auto parts store can measure the length an let me know if the ones I have are the correct length.

Keep ya posted.

John
A tape measure might be a good investment.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
A tape measure might be a good investment.

I own 2 full size jeeps which I build most my own parts for, an being with in a 1/8 of an INCH (not metric) is close enough for the welder to correct... I think what a better suggestion would be to invest in a digital Micrometer. As I keep telling myself I should get one an never do.

John
Old 12-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I own 2 full size jeeps which I build most my own parts for, an being with in a 1/8 of an INCH (not metric) is close enough for the welder to correct... I think what a better suggestion would be to invest in a digital Micrometer. As I keep telling myself I should get one an never do.

John
So with your tape measure why not measure the links you have? With a resolution of 3.175mm it should be easy to tell which links they are. Right?
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
So with your tape measure why not measure the links you have? With a resolution of 3.175mm it should be easy to tell which links they are. Right?
Ok, the lazy person inside of me has no answer for that...

John
Old 12-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok, the lazy person inside of me has no answer for that...

John
Old 03-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

So I am resurrecting this old thread. So since this thread was started, I have come along way with my SCX an have purchased a wraith. I may be purchasing some 120mm HS Shocks which will give my rig quite the lift. An I am now on the hunt for good ways to stretch my wheel base.

To anyone who has built a wroncho an used the wraith links an scx belly pan, do you find it stretches the wheel base pass the 12.3 inch (313mm)?

I am trying to see what Axial may have provided me to work with for links with out going custom. If I go the custom route, the thought of going 3 link sounds appealing as well to steer clear of the drive line.

I am not totally sure where this first real build of my suspension will go. I will keep every one posted.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

So I stopped by the local hobby store. After spending some time comparing different links, it appears the 313mm SCX has the longest links of all the axial products. So my only option is to go custom.

John

front upper link assistance... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 front upper link jt4X4 Newbie General 2 08-30-2013 02:24 PM
VP Front Upper Link Mount Greatscott Axial XR10 25 11-27-2011 08:40 PM