Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: JCAD - Axial SCX10 JK G6 - Test Vehicle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default JCAD - Axial SCX10 JK G6 - Test Vehicle

Just recently I became a vendor on this forum, and decided to get a stock SCX10 to use as a test bed for new products. There was a pretty good deal on Cyber monday for the G6 JK, so I couldn't pass it up.

Got the kit together and painted up the body in the style of my tiles logo:

Figured I should rep the new company, so I made up a simple paint mask:

For the paint mask, I taped some clear packing tape to a piece of paper, then on top of that taped some wide masking tape.
From there, I printed the design I wanted to make into a mask, then carefully cut it out with a new xacto blade. The packing tape made it easy to peel off the masking tape.
I think it came out pretty good for a first try at the technique.

From the base kit, I added some aluminum C's and Hubs, CVDs, TopCad Wheels, Pitbull Rockbeasts (which by the way were a b... to get mounted on the wheels...), and some of my own products. Also notice the rear bumper is a front bumper with the bar cut off.

I've got R2J Sliders coming soon, and plan on adding some simple scale touches to it. Also, I'd love to drop it a little, so I am thinking of removing the upper spring from the shocks. When I get the replacement set from Axial, I will get that done. (One of the pistons was machined wrong and won't work, so Axial is sending me replacements )

Stay tuned for more info, spy shots on new products, and better pics.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: JCAD - Axial SCX10 JK G6 - Test Vehicle

Ok, I've got a little update, and some sneak peaks at new products under testing in the JCAD labs.

This is still the first prototype, there will be changes (already have a few in mind), and I want to try to keep cost low (no pricing in this type of thread, so don't even ask...) but still have something unique to the G6/Deadbolt cage.

Double CMS mount. Allows steering to be mounted on either side, and the remaining space to be used for a servo winch or a place to mount electronics.

Panhard mount for the chassis. This can be used with other CMS 3-link options on the market, but is designed to work the best with my Truss. Everything is a tight fit, and all the links just barely clear throughout the suspension cycle. This changes if your wheelbase is even slightly different from stock, so there is going to be testing on some other vehicles to find something that will work well.

Front and rear braces. Front brace allows the stock electronics box or a simple plate (mine made from the stock servo plate) to mount your electronics to. Rear brace allows full suspension travel, especially good with my RULRs installed.

Rear suspension under full compression.

These are all still in development, but I wanted to give you guys a sneak peak at what I am working on bringing to the community very soon.

Please feel free to comment, but I can not comment on when these will be available or price. I will create a vendor thread when the time comes.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Pretty sick paint job on that. Gives me some inspiration for mine.
Did you liquid mask or plain tape?
Andyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Some nice new pieces! Paint looks good too.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyking View Post
Pretty sick paint job on that. Gives me some inspiration for mine.
Did you liquid mask or plain tape?
See here (from first post) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
For the paint mask, I taped some clear packing tape to a piece of paper, then on top of that taped some wide masking tape.
From there, I printed the design I wanted to make into a mask, then carefully cut it out with a new xacto blade. The packing tape made it easy to peel off the masking tape.
I think it came out pretty good for a first try at the technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Some nice new pieces! Paint looks good too.
Thanks! I wanted to do something like this for a while, but didn't have the vendor account set-up, so I didn't want to jump the gun on it yet.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

great products! really starting to like the Axial G6s now, also since no one said anything great Roof rack! My only question/ concern is links for the CMS kit and hoping that the cms plate is solid so you dont have issues like you did with your rear risers? Keep up the great work and the great customer service glad to see someone using a 3D print in this hobby!
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for noticing the rack, it's still a work in progress, but it looks like it will be a great addition to the JCAD lineup.

The CMS and other parts are strong. What happened with the RULRs was a production issue with the printer software. I'm working on a set-up to show just how strong these parts actually are.
I'm taking this tomorrow with me to go visit family, and I hope to get some good testing done, and hopefully some outdoor pics.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Nice. Put me down for one of everything. My Daytona Yellow G6 will be ready.
CBR74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

your welcome! So are the RULRs no being produced fine? Really looking forward to the CMS kit will it include the links that are needed or will they have to be bought i did see that they are axial brand.
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt95 View Post
your welcome! So are the RULRs no being produced fine? Really looking forward to the CMS kit will it include the links that are needed or will they have to be bought i did see that they are axial brand.
There was a software issue on one batch that caused the hollow issue. That's been corrected, and the new batches since then have been just fine.

The CMS will likely not come with links, but I will provide lengths so you can get links from your favorite vendor. (This will be discussed in that thread when the time comes.)
The axial one is a cut-down steering rod because the delrin I use for links is a little too large and binds. The smaller aluminum fits and clears just fine.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The prototypes and G6 look great, Jens! Cannot wait to see what else you start to print out!
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Not a huge update, but a long overdue one...

I went to a comp today hosted by The Crawl Space at the world famous Red Rocks, and had an absolutely awesome time.

The JK performed pretty well, although there are some tweaks that I will need to make for it. Scores will be posted tomorrow, and I am curious to see how I did. I haven't done a lot to maximize scale points, and I know that I won't place at the top of the comp because of that, so that is something else I will want to focus on for the next event.

Head/tail/lightbar lights, driver/passenger, metal bumpers, etc are all things that are on the list that should be (fairly) easy to implement.

The servo winch was drifting even though I've got some pretty well-matched resistors soldered in (to replace the potentiometer), but luckily most of the courses were doable without the winch. I notice the need to overdrive the front. I have a decent amount of steering, but the overdrive will help in places to prevent the front from being pushed around by the rear.

I only took one pic at the comp of the electronics placement and set-up with the servo winch and how the winch cable is routed to the front, etc:

I tried to keep the wiring nice and clean, and I love the placement of everything with my CMS + Battery mount and Mid Mounted Winch Servo Mount.

More updates to come soon (especially compared to the last update...)
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
RCC Addict

what 3d printer do you have?
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Servo winch working good in that location/setup?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
what 3d printer do you have?
Makerbot Replicator Dual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Servo winch working good in that location/setup?
The location is great. It keeps the servo low, but not getting into the links (when you use a 3-link) and the line is fairly centered to the front of the rig. I haven't mocked it up, but you could probably run the servo upside down to run the line on the bottom of the mount to get the line through the bumper. I've got to switch my servo winch to a different set-up and then try that out. (Something that doesn't allow drifting...)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Really Cool Stuff!
DRIVNMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

The dual cms is awesome did you make it? And this build is just awesome.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
cneill24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVNMF View Post
Really Cool Stuff!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneill24 View Post
The dual cms is awesome did you make it? And this build is just awesome.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Yes, I do make the CMS option. More info on those mounts can be found in the vendor thread here:

JC Auto Design - SCX10/AX10 Axle Truss, Panhard and CMS options

On this rig, I am using the following:

I am also using the Nylon V2 RULRs which can be found here:

JC Auto Design - SCX10 Rear Upper Link Risers - Improved geometry

The comp results are in; I ended up 5th out of 23 vehicles in class 2. If I had just a little more scale points (assuming I ended up with the same driver score) I would have placed 4th.

I definitely noticed the extra performance the RULRs provided. On course 4, gate 2, everyone winched it, where as this rig climbed up pretty easily. Where other rigs were getting light in the front end on steep climbs, this rig kept planted and made the climbs. The other guys running my RULRs saw the same benefits and I got a few compliments on how the RULRs helped them make climbs they couldn't before.

I ordered my overdrive gears, and will start getting those installed when they come in. I have a different servo winch in my parts bin that I've modified to run direct from a small ESC I have (NO DRIFTING). I just have to find it and dust it off.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Update!

I have been running this every now and then since the last update, and made a few changes:

I installed the burly tubes and got some nice XR steering on this.
I switched the light bar out for the smaller one from the CSC JK.
I swapped over to 32p gears using a kimbrough spur (fits directly on the slipper plate)

Also, since this is my test rig for new products, I am testing a new scale chassis I've been working on I'm calling the Karnage USR. (This chassis is basically 6 years in the making, evolving from my original Karnage chassis from the comp days...)
This is still a little ways from production, but this is at least a hint into what this will look like.

Everything is nice and low, but I still have full compression in the shocks.

Also, with the new geometry and location of everything, I can now route the winch line through the bumper as I originally intended, and so I made a simple fairlead for it to route through:

I still need to figure out the body mounts. I am either going to cut the original shock towers, or I am going to switch to velcro mounts... Likely velcro mounts.

More to come soon!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Nice update.

Chassis rail geometry the same? aside from the upperlink risers?

JCAD - Axial SCX10 JK G6 - Test Vehicle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Axial Vehicle bronco_trail_rig Chit Chat 25 02-17-2010 04:25 PM
My JCAD MLST2-LE SS-EXT H3T monkeyracer Non Crawler RC's 0 01-31-2010 04:53 PM
Test Vehicle #1 JohnRobHolmes Chit Chat 50 09-12-2006 08:10 AM
Test Vehicle #2 JohnRobHolmes Chit Chat 18 06-16-2006 10:35 AM