Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: vanquish locker with currie axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default vanquish locker with currie axles

I'm trying to install my new vanquish locker in the currie rear axle, but after tightening the bearing caps, the mesh is extremely tight. I'm not sure if it is the mesh, or the screws holding the large gear on rubbing against the bearing cap. After removing the diff, i can see the screws are definitely rubbing against the side (fresh scrape marks) but not positive that is the reason it is hard to turn. Anyone else have issues with vanquish lockers in the currie axles or did you have no problems?

Ill try to get a pic up
uclabruins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: vanquish locker with currie axles

From my personal experience with that exact setup:
As long as you have the bearing caps installed the right way, it is the bolts holding the gear to the locker that are the problem. I used the original axial bolts in my Currie/VP locker setup & It works great. So long as the bolts are flush with the gear face & the bearing caps are the right way, the locker unit should rotate inside the housing without any interference.
The problem I had was when I tightened down on the screws that pinch the Axle shafts into the locker. The tightening of the screws warped the axle shafts ever so slightly that it made it hard to turn inside the Currie housing, at a certain point in the rotation of the unit. I loosened the screws and the unit turned nice & smooth.
If my problem sounds like your problem then it's those little grub screws, & I suggest pulling them out alltogether. If you leave the grub screws in, then Locktight the hell out of them. I made the mistake of just loosening mine but leaving them in place. One came loose in both the front & rear housing & jammed the gears. I found this out when my wheels locked up on power. Thankfully I hadn't eliminated the slipper.

Last edited by txbart; 12-24-2013 at 07:10 AM.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply. I am using the original axial bolts with an axial HD bevel gear, but they do not sit completely flush with the gear face. They stick out just a little. Maybe I need new hardware. Mine is also hard to turn at a certain point without the axles in, and i doubt the bevel gear is bent (it seems flat), so that leads be to believe its the screws.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Fixed the issue by rebuilding it again. For some reason the bearing weren't seating right into the transfer case, but after some TLC it seated properly and is much smoother. Never had that issue with these axle housings, but glad its all working properly. Weird because I took it in and out like 25 times before it finally seated properly and turned smoothly.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

Do you use the gasket on the vanquish locker? I have a pair coming, watched there video, says to set gasket aside but doesnt say to reuse gasket.
Rowlrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

No gasket.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Thank you
Rowlrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #8

Hey guys,

I have a very similar issue with my Vanquish setup, I have the complete VP Currie Axle and I run the VP diff locker. I noticed for the rear setup when I insert the drive shaft (the shorter one) there is absolute no play in the shaft and is very tight to the point that it's creating massive amounts of resistance. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to loosen up the rear shaft (the shorter one).

I was thinking of sanding down the locker where it captures the ring on the shaft but I would prefer not to do this.

Is it possible to remove the ring (the inside one closest to the diff) on the axial drive shaft completely so that there is play? My only concern is that by doing so the shaft may move inwards and hence cause the hex to rub against the currie axle.

Any help would be appreciated.
bee200sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #9

Thumbs down Re: vanquish locker with currie axles

I know it's been a while on this thread, but I'm having this exact same issue on my wraith.

Got new Fast Eddy ceramic bearings, VP Currie & VP Locker, as soon as I tighten down the bearing clamps the bevel becomes next to impossible to turn.

I've though't I found a 'sweet spot' but still ended up not being able to tighten those screws down all the way.

Anyone know whats up with this?

FYI - I ordered 2 packs of FE Bearings, BUT! 1 of them had out of specs large bearings in it. Instead of 15mm, they were 16mm OD . Wouldn't even fit into the currie. Emailed RPP earlier about this (just got em in mail today).
wwwyzard is offline   Reply With Quote

vanquish locker with currie axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish currie complete axles.... Coolinthewoods General Crawlers 5 11-09-2013 10:11 AM
Wraith Vanquish Currie Axles twistedjeep Axial Wraith 2 09-02-2013 07:48 AM
Axial links with Vanquish Currie Axles raiders32 Axial SCX-10 5 02-20-2013 05:54 PM