RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Axial SCX10 build - My first kit. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/475145-axial-scx10-build-my-first-kit.html)

electricrc68 12-25-2013 08:44 AM

Axial SCX10 build - My first kit.

Well guys, I've started my SCX10 kit build that I got for christmas! This is my first kit, and since I'm new to all this, the thread won't have any build "recommendations" or anything, and will mainly be newb questions...oh, I'll also post pictures along the way of the build and obviously the final product! So...my first question:

I have run into a problem already! :cry: The bearings for the axles don't seem to be seating in all the way. When I try screwing it shut, its a VERY tight fit, and the plastic doesn't go around the bearing. Any way I can fix this?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/1...93461908_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/1...9763a460_c.jpg

Johnnysplits 12-25-2013 09:11 AM

Re: Axial SCX10 build - My first kit.

I had the exact same problem with my kit. The housings came out of the package warped. Heat gun them back square, buy a new set, or be careful when screwing together so as to not bind up the gears. After you assemble the axle, you should be able to turn the pinion shaft with zero resistance.

FastEddy 12-25-2013 09:14 AM

This my help you with your build.
Its for the Honcho but will get you through most of it.
your about 1 week early for my G6 build series.
Build The Axial SCX-10 Honcho Page by Page - YouTube

My G6 Axles were just like that. Once I screwed the other half on it was just fine.
Be careful if you try to heat it up. Its all good until it isnt. It can go SOUTH REAL QUICK. :cry:

old man 52 12-25-2013 09:18 AM

Leave the axles out and put the case together but don't tighten the bolts down all the way , then slide your axials and bearing in from the sides.

electricrc68 12-25-2013 09:19 AM

Thanks guys! I'll check out that build series to see if anything is in there before I go and modify the housing. Heres another picture just for more of a sense:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2893/1...901c5220_c.jpg

Johnnysplits 12-25-2013 09:21 AM

Yeah that's exactly what mine looked like...thanks Axial!!

Johnnysplits 12-25-2013 09:24 AM

If you're just gonna screw it together, just be sure you don't bind up the gears when tightening the screws. Some will have less torque on them than others to get it perfect because it internally distorts as you tighten.

electricrc68 12-25-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old man 52 (Post 4600858)
Leave the axles out and put the case together but don't tighten the bolts down all the way , then slide your axials and bearing in from the sides.

Not sure what you mean by that...could you elaborate a little bit please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits (Post 4600863)
Yeah that's exactly what mine looked like...thanks Axial!!

Bummer...so much for straight forward. :cry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
If you're just gonna screw it together, just be sure you don't bind up the gears when tightening the screws. Some will have less torque on them than others to get it perfect because it internally distorts as you tighten.

You mean if I tighten down the screws to try and get the things back into place?

FastEddy 12-25-2013 09:24 AM

Keep building, it will straighten itself out.

Old Man has it right. As you build, the axles and bearing are going to fall out anyway. :mrgreen:

electricrc68 12-25-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastEddy (Post 4600870)
Keep building, it will straighten itself out.

Old Man has it right. As you build, the axles and bearing are going to fall out anyway. :mrgreen:

Okay thanks. I guess thats what I'll do then...

hopefully you're right! :)

FastEddy 12-25-2013 09:34 AM

You can skip ahead in the manual and grab your rear lockouts or front hubs and slide them over the ends to check fit.
It will all fit, screw it together. and move on.

electricrc68 12-25-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastEddy (Post 4600878)
You can skip ahead in the manual and grab your rear lockouts or front hubs and slide them over the ends to check fit.
It will all fit, screw it together. and move on.

Thanks! I'll just keep moving forward and then see how it goes...I have to leave for my cousins house soon so I'll just be continuing where I left off.

Klaaz 12-25-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits (Post 4600850)
I had the exact same problem with my kit. The housings came out of the package warped. Heat gun them back square, buy a new set, or be careful when screwing together so as to not bind up the gears. After you assemble the axle, you should be able to turn the pinion shaft with zero resistance.

Mine scx had the same problem, after screwing the axels together, the pinion turns with a rattling noise on every half rotation of the pinion, extreem when driving very slow.
After I think 8 hours of total drivingtime the noise disappear slowly.

6sharky9 12-25-2013 04:10 PM

Built many kits before but liking RTR more and more...lol

You would think by looking at it the bearing fit inside the wider end and pressed up against the lip ..but haven't built this kit so..im just blowing smoke I guess..lol

electricrc68 12-25-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6sharky9 (Post 4601208)
Built many kits before but liking RTR more and more...lol

You would think by looking at it the bearing fit inside the wider end and pressed up against the lip ..but haven't built this kit so..im just blowing smoke I guess..lol

Yeah but the shafts won't go all the way out to the wider end! :eek: I'm going to try building the other axle and seeing how that fits. If it doesn't fit well, do you guys think that sanding it down should be fine, or should I avoid that?

EDIT: So I just built the second axle and that went together beautifully. Its this first axle thats pictured which is giving me problems. The hub carriers will not fit due to this problem. Any easy fixes (besides heating it up...I've never been good with heat) or maybe any error I may be making?

electricrc68 12-25-2013 09:13 PM

Ah hah! I found my problem! I had the shafts pushed in too far into the diff. Now I just need to find out how to loosen up the blue loctite on one side...man its stuck in there!

Natedog 12-26-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricrc68 (Post 4600860)
Thanks guys! I'll check out that build series to see if anything is in there before I go and modify the housing. Heres another picture just for more of a sense:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2893/1...901c5220_c.jpg

W0W, that is fawked...call Axial and tell them to send you a properly molded housing! WTF Axial? :flipoff:

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricrc68 (Post 4601486)
Ah hah! I found my problem! I had the shafts pushed in too far into the diff. Now I just need to find out how to loosen up the blue loctite on one side...man its stuck in there!

Don't use any loctite on the axle ends...it does nothing but waste loctite.

JatoTheRipper 12-26-2013 01:09 AM

My axle housings were warped just as badly.

6sharky9 12-26-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricrc68 (Post 4601486)

So did that move the bearing out so it fit outside of the groove instead of on top of it?..lol

gdb85 12-26-2013 06:21 AM

The last couple sets of cases I assembled looked like that also. LOL

Not a big deal, once the lockouts or C's are pushed on everything is fine. No slop in the bearings at all.

Like others have stated, no loctite on the lockers. I'm pretty sure, although it's been a long time since I looked at an assembly book, that Axial actually shows a drop of loctite to be applied to each shaft going into the locker, could be wrong IDK.