Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Budget High Lined JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Budget High Lined JK

I put together a JK kit about three monthes ago. Sorry no pics of assembly. The SO doesn't let me play with the expensive camera while my hands are greasy.

The kit was on sale, and Tower gives me a decent discount on large purchases, so I'm about $500 deep into this rig with the AL wheels. Not exactly super budget, but I've been pounding on this rig for three months and it has held up very well so far so I feel that my money was properly spent.

Running Gear:
Original Sidewinder
Cheapo Axial 27 turn geared 13/87
Hitec 7954 with Robitronics horn.
Flysky 4000mah 2s 30C hardcases
Ancient JR XR3i FM radio (still works mint)

Following pics are from it's maiden trial run on the stone wall across the street from my apartment, makes for a convenient test space.

Only real upgrades so far is a Felsenfest spool in the back, some DLux zero-slop kingpin bushings, and some Al inner C-hubs that I found in my parts stockpile. Also ran a small tie bar from the upper kingpin bolt to the tie rod/drag link bolt to cut down on the flex from the plastic knuckles.

I lowered the body about 1/4" and raised the fender flairs about 5/16" I then made a steel chassis brace/battery mount/sliders plate that essentially raised the rocker panel about 3/4 inch and moved the battery sideways in front of the motor. Bumpers are moved in, and the rear one is raised.

I suck at painting, no need to point that out. I'm much better and cutting/drilling, etc, than cosmetic work.

Mandatory flex shot. Running 70 weight oil and 1/2 of the bumpstops removed. Removed all preload from the rear shocks and added a few round ups front to compensate for the battery relocation. 4 links front and rear with metal links, tilted pinion up front and rear. Front is allowable because my Al C-hubs allow the caster to be clocked back a smidgen.

Fairly balanced for not having any wheel weights and plastic wheels, its really stable now that it has Motorworx wheels at about 3.5oz each.

Rear tires barely clear under all driving conditions, the fronts rub a little only at full stuff and full lock.

I'll try to get some updated pics of the Motoworx wheels and some snow wheeling up soon.

Looking at trying to make some light rate sway bars. Supposedly I need "music wire" or just "spring steel", but I've having difficulty sourcing either locally and I'm to computer illiterate to find what I need on McMaster Carr. Any thoughts? Not really into buying a kit, that would be too easy.

The rest of the wish list includes Beef tubes, XR mod, overdrive gears up front, and new shocks.

My only real complaints are the lack of turning radius, and the leaky Icon shocks. Currently adjusting my driving to deal with the radius, and refilling the shocks every couple hours of use.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Budget High Lined JK - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touring cars... budget and unlimited budget jetboat Chit Chat 22 10-28-2013 06:27 AM
High $$$ paint job look on a budget Metal Masher Paint and Body 13 09-30-2011 10:23 AM
Picture of Tires all lined up together toddinbr Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 14 09-01-2011 02:37 PM
High speed on a budget... leftcoastminis Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 08-25-2009 05:46 PM