Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Differential binding with wheels turned

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 AM   #21

Default Re: Differential binding with wheels turned

Regardless of what types of joints are in the knuckles, they will have their limit to how tight they can be angled before they bind. I would run the truck with the wheels off of the ground, and slowly turn the steering one direction- see how far you can steer before the binding starts. Then, turn the other direction, slowly, isolating when it starts. Of course, this may also rule out the steering joints as the culprit.
If you have changed the angle of the pinion, the axle could be rotating some under throttle, and increasing the pinion angle, to the point that the u-joint is binding.
hodge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #22

In my experience, the shaking/jumping is NOT because of the universal joint is binding. It is because of the difference in input- and output rotational velocity in the joint, when it's at an angle.

The input shaft rotates at a constant speed, but the output (wheel) speed fluctuates. The sudden changes in output velocity, along with the mass of wheels and tyres, causes the entire axle to jump and shake. If you test it without the wheels, it won't behave like this.

This video shows the physics behind it:

emilsolbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilsolbat View Post
In my experience, the shaking/jumping is NOT because of the universal joint is binding. It is because of the difference in input- and output rotational velocity in the joint, when it's at an angle.

The input shaft rotates at a constant speed, but the output (wheel) speed fluctuates. The sudden changes in output velocity, along with the mass of wheels and tyres, causes the entire axle to jump and shake. If you test it without the wheels, it won't behave like this.

This video shows the physics behind it:

Then, why don't they all do it?
I do agree with the physics of the universal joint. But, the knuckle can turn to a point that the joint starts to bind- there is a limit to the angle.
Also, there are different types of joint used. And, not all axles operate with the jerking and binding. It is important to distinguish between fluctuating speed of the output shaft, versus shaking and binding.

Last edited by hodge5; 08-08-2017 at 07:41 AM.
hodge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge5 View Post
I don't think I've seen a truck with locked diff and regular universal joints, with decent steering angle that doesn't have this problem. I may be wrong, but I think this is an inherent flaw with the standard U-joint.

If you have an open diff, i believe the forces cancel out each other to some degree.

If you have very light weight wheels, the shaking may not be as prominent.

Also, I don't think it's something most people notices when driving. With the weight of the truck on top, at an uneaven surface, the axle shaking is hard to see.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge5 View Post
I do agree with the physics of the universal joint. But, the knuckle can turn to a point that the joint starts to bind- there is a limit to the angle.
Also, there are different types of joint used. And, not all axles operate with the jerking and binding. It is important to distinguish between fluctuating speed of the output shaft, versus shaking and binding.
Of course, I agree that binding can occure. And with that, the shaking becomes even worse.

My trucks also have this problem, but it all spins smooth through the whole rotation, so no binding.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

my truck had similar axle hop and once i ditched the crappy axial driveshafts i found out it ended up being a warped spur gear from the box on my rtr. i swaped it out and it made a big difference. i guess the vibration in the trans continued down the drivetrain.
WhatsInYourHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Differential binding with wheels turned - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD Differential gears binding. sullivanscx10 Axial Wraith 26 10-02-2018 02:40 PM
Why MRC has no differential on wheels? lotaloi Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 12-31-2009 04:51 PM
drivetrain/wheels binding up rockslug Kyosho Crawlers 8 02-19-2008 06:42 PM
Differential DKNguyen General Crawlers 7 03-03-2007 12:15 PM
Front wheels Binding at Full turn ripper7777777 General Crawlers 6 09-22-2005 01:31 PM