Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: new to scx10-ordered a jeep rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default new to scx10-ordered a jeep rubicon

I have been upgrading and running my wraith and decided to try my hand at an scx10 Rubicon...I like the idea of moving the motor and trans forward and running a transfer case, has anyone done that with good results?
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

Default Re: new to scx10-ordered a jeep rubicon

You'll need to post up your opinion of the Jeep vs. the Wraith. I'm going to order something at some point - just not sure which one...

Jeff
jeffncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I will for sure post my opinions on the two once the rubicon is here!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

well my rubicon rtr arrived today, i actually like it alot! i ran front LED's and rear LED's already, am thinking about trying my 2.2 flat irons out on it..they are not much taller than the trepadors, but more aggressive and a little wider. I will post pics tomorrow after I get home from work...but so far I am impressed!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Good to hear! Mine is on a UPS truck somewhere between Chicago and here in the middle of a snow storm.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

well I put my 2.2 flat irons on and they are not much taller than the stock trepadors, but they are much wider. All in all, I like them and they really don't rub much at all, I did raid the body up a bit but not a tremendous amount by any means. Here are a few shots to compare...I put a 2.2 hammer on as a spare sinice it was almost exactly the same size as the flat irons
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Looking good!
TeamBosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

What wheel r u running
arp1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

had one small issue when i raised the body, the top of the spare tire mount no longer would engage the tube frame, even adjusted to its max.

my solution was to make a new L brace out of left over braces from my axial light bar...turned out perfect, drilled the hole in it for the clip and it looks perfect!

also mounted my led's in the bumpers...
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Lookin good, I got a honcho runnin 2.2 ripsaws but I think there to tall. This might be my solution!! I'll be watching .
big daddy smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yea...i have 2.2 ripsaws and they were way too big..looked outta proportion...these flat irons look the same scale as puttin a set of 35's on my 4x4 in my younger days lol
Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by arp1500 View Post
What wheel r u running
the wheels are proline eight shooters...

Pro-Line Eight Shooter 2.2" Bead-Loc Black/Black
Old 01-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

well, I am quickly becoming a huge fan of the SCX10 platform.
I like the fact it is more scale in appearance than the wraith, but the wraith is quite
nice as well.

Point 1, I am more a full frame kinda guy, being an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician for over 24 years I am partial to them versus a tube frame setup.

Point 2, the stock SCX10 seems to be more agile and adept out of the box than my wraith was, both were RTR rigs.

Point 3, although the SCX10 is a 1.9 rim size, my 2.2 flat irons on proline eight shooter rims fit on it almost perfectly with very litle rubbing even when stuffed up in the body and no rubbing on the lower suspension/links.
I feel this gives it a scale hillbilly look if you will When I got my first 4x4 the first thing I did was put on 33's over the standard 235/75/15's. This looks about the same scale change as those tires were.

Now the wraith is wider and a bit longer in wheelbase but I have found sometimes that is a con rather than a pro in certain situations.

The SCX10 will be put to the test as soon as the weather here in NW Indiana co-operates! Meantime, here are a few photos of the two...
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #14

Ha ha, mine is on it's way also. Should be here Monday. I ordered it on New Years Eve, I just couldn't stand the thought of going another year without one. Now I need to sell some stuff to pay for it.

That wheel and tire combo looks great. It looks like a lot of the Wranglers I see around these parts, I'm in Utah, I suspect we have a unusually high Jeep population.

I'm not sure if I want to drive mine in the snow or not, someone told me if you spray everything with WD40, (except tires) it makes it water resistant and less dirt and dust stick to it. Is this recommended?

Looks like you've already thrown some aluminum parts on there. Got any other plans for the near future? I'm eyeing some steel rock sliders on eBay, and an LED light bar, plus I want to get a hard top, I can't have my invisible people driving around in winter with no top.
adam watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam watson View Post
Ha ha, mine is on it's way also. Should be here Monday. I ordered it on New Years Eve, I just couldn't stand the thought of going another year without one. Now I need to sell some stuff to pay for it.

That wheel and tire combo looks great. It looks like a lot of the Wranglers I see around these parts, I'm in Utah, I suspect we have a unusually high Jeep population.

I'm not sure if I want to drive mine in the snow or not, someone told me if you spray everything with WD40, (except tires) it makes it water resistant and less dirt and dust stick to it. Is this recommended?

Looks like you've already thrown some aluminum parts on there. Got any other plans for the near future? I'm eyeing some steel rock sliders on eBay, and an LED light bar, plus I want to get a hard top, I can't have my invisible people driving around in winter with no top.

Well the steering links I had from another set of axles...I have not tried wd40 but I don't see why it wouldn't help.
Other plans are Holmes hobbies motor and ESC, BMG sliders, VP axle housings,HD axial bevel gears, some kind of light bar and more stuff I don't know about yet lol!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #16

Looks good man, my rubicon is going to be delivered tomorrow. Any recommendations. I haven't had an r/c in about ten years and my last was a nitro stadium truck.
jqcomanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

my own personal opinion is with the rubicon, it seems pretty capable out of the box as an RTR. I usually do the steering linkages first and maybe a different servo if I use bigger tires. I am looking to replace the stock servo with a bit more capable and waterproof one. I like savox myself, had good luck with them and the one I am going to use for this one is the savox 0231 mg. its waterproof and decent torque for this rig at 208oz...

It uses a tamiya style connector and mine came with an onyx 3000mah 6cell nimh battery that seems ok for now, however I will be replacing it with a 5000mah 2s lipo with a traxxas connector(most of my stuff is traxxas)

but other than that, I am going to run it as is and fix whatever breaks...
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam watson View Post
Ha ha, mine is on it's way also. Should be here Monday. I ordered it on New Years Eve...

LOL! You and I ordered it at the same time! Mine is going to be delivered by UPS tomorrow! Yeah!!!

As for WD-40, DO NOT USE IT! It is petroleum based and not friendly to any plastic! On some plastic, its effects are slow so in a few months the plastic becomes brittle.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqcomanche View Post
Looks good man, my rubicon is going to be delivered tomorrow.

Looks like a whole bunch of us will be getting toys tomorrow!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #20

That's so funny that a bunch of us are getting them at the same time. I took advantage of the Tower Hobbies sale, even though in the long run I'm paying more since I have credit cards I should be paying off, but I justified this because Tuesday's my birthday. Now my dilemma is should I stick with 1.9 wheels because I have the weights for them or go to 2.2? The weights are for Pro Line 1.9 Titus, I bought them a year ago when I thought Id be getting this Jeep sooner, but I think they may work on the new 1.9 beadlocks from a Pro Line.

I won't do the WD40, thanks for the advice.
adam watson is offline   Reply With Quote

new to scx10-ordered a jeep rubicon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ordered scx10 Rubicon kit, Questions travis4380 Axial SCX-10 0 02-22-2013 02:44 PM