Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: rc4wd The Ultimate Scale Shocks opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default rc4wd The Ultimate Scale Shocks opinions

sorry,i can't actually find any reviews on these,so i gotta ask for the scoop on these please...anyone actually run them?

one of the rigs i bought has them on it and it seems pretty bouncy
sawhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: rc4wd The Ultimate Scale Shocks opinions

Havent used them personally but in general I don't care for those type of shocks...May as well just let all the oil out of your stock shocks and run it like that.

Oil filled shocks I feel work much better.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
RCC Addict

They aren't too bad, the spring is too soft though but they offer stiffer ones. With the soft springs they work better when paired with leaf springs, instead of just by themselves.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

ok,that's kind of what i felt,but since i'm a greenhorn i figured i'd ask. they really are bouncy,lol. not so much when it's being driven,but when you tap on the top of the rig when it's sitting still it's like bouncing a ball.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I don't know about the ultimate scale ones. but I got the old man emu. they react just like my stock shocks just a tad stiffer
wsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawhead View Post
ok,that's kind of what i felt,but since i'm a greenhorn i figured i'd ask. they really are bouncy,lol. not so much when it's being driven,but when you tap on the top of the rig when it's sitting still it's like bouncing a ball.
Just like a bad shock on a real car...press it down and it bounces 3 or 4 times before it stops.

If you want those type of shocks for scale looks that's one thing but you will never get the true performance of oil filled shocks..Even stock shocks would perform better if they don't leak.

I mean they do work meaning compress and rebound over stuff but its not optimum performance for a shock and it never will be.

You may not notice a difference driving very very slow over whatever but with any sortof speed over bumpy terrain it will become a lot more apparent
they don't compare to oil filled shocks

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-31-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys i already have some traxxas big bores on the way to replace them. so we will have one rig running losi 4" and 2 running the traxxas
Old 01-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawhead View Post
thanks guys i already have some traxxas big bores on the way to replace them. so we will have one rig running losi 4" and 2 running the traxxas
I run a set of losi comp shocks..great shocks.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Just like a bad shock on a real car...press it down and it bounces 3 or 4 times before it stops.

If you want those type of shocks for scale looks that's one thing but you will never get the true performance of oil filled shocks..Even stock shocks would perform better if they don't leak.

I mean they do work meaning compress and rebound over stuff but its not optimum performance for a shock and it never will be.

You may not notice a difference driving very very slow over whatever but with any sortof speed over bumpy terrain it will become a lot more apparent

they don't compare to oil filled shocks

I disagree with all of this. I run Gmade ts01's with an internal spring and they perform just as good as any oil filled shock on the market. Yes, they're a different brand than the rc4wd but the concept is the same. They key is to load it with the right amount of grease so the spring isn't bouncing "freely". I've won comps against wraiths and fully built scalers with these shocks and the scale looks plus performance makes em incredible. I know everyone's experience will be different with these types of shocks but all I'm saying is there are options out there for a good internally sprung shock

- Richard
creepinchevy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepinchevy69 View Post
I disagree with all of this. I run Gmade ts01's with an internal spring and they perform just as good as any oil filled shock on the market. Yes, they're a different brand than the rc4wd but the concept is the same. They key is to load it with the right amount of grease so the spring isn't bouncing "freely". I've won comps against wraiths and fully built scalers with these shocks and the scale looks plus performance makes em incredible. I know everyone's experience will be different with these types of shocks but all I'm saying is there are options out there for a good internally sprung shock

- Richard
Im sure you can add grease to somewhat create the effect of resistance but its still not superior to oil for tuning..I never said they didn't work im just saying they don't work as well...you can win with a sealed 35T throw away motor but it doesnt make it better than a quality rebuildable...That's all im pretty much saying.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

ok,i ditched the scalers and put some traxxas big bores on it...very nice shocks...the 2 lighter of my rigs will be running these for sure...i just bought the 8 pack tmaxx set and just added 30w oil and set the ride height...pink springs rear and white front...my heavy rig has the losi comps on it...white springs,unsure on oil as i have not removed them to see what's been done internally either...i may just switch them to all traxxas just for a spare parts factor

what are the internal oem pistons for the losi comps,2 or 3 hole?

rc4wd The Ultimate Scale Shocks opinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc4wd ultimate scale shocks highhpcummins General Scale Talk 19 01-30-2013 11:49 AM
RC4WD Ultimate Scale shocks? papakev01 Axial SCX-10 2 03-04-2011 03:51 PM