Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: rubicon unlimted rtr 100m shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default rubicon unlimted rtr 100m shocks

If I put the 100m shocks on ,do I need anything else ?
Also will that give me more suspension travel/ flex?
Can I use a 2.2 rim/tire with out rubbing or trimming stock body ?
airride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: rubicon unlimted rtr 100m shocks

100mm shocks will raise your truck a lot making it easier to tip over....2.2 tires will limit the travel you can get because they are a larger diameter meaning they will hit the body easier with less travel..Other than that shouldn't be a problem.

You can always buy brackets to lower the truck back down but then you have even less travel because the tires will hit sooner...Youll have to trim a lot from the body for clearance.

I would suggest 90mm like stock or 93mm maximum if you must change them and stay with 1.9 tires.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-31-2013 at 09:19 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

my opinion...

I run the traxxas 100mm big bores...
and I think this length CO works great !

only question is... wut spring(s)/rate ?

I use the losi 4" soft (white) coil springs.
(my rig weighs in abouts 7.5 lbs / 1.9 wheels)

* my axles are weighted...
...beef tubes
...alloy knucles/Chubs
...axial wheel weight sys.

I roll my suspension with about 3/4" static squat.

This lowers the center of gravity...
the suspension droops equally another 3/4".

my suspension travel is split about 50/50 v/^
more commonly used might be 60/40 v/^

total travel is about 1 1/2"
^ measured off the belly skid.

the belly skid measures just under 1 3/4", from the ground,
when the suspension is compressed fully.

A compression re-configuration could net 3/16" - 1/4" additional up travel
by raising the upper CO mounts slightly.
but would likely require the wheel wells be enlarged
Because the tires would rub the front fender's trailing edge.
especially when turning.

The Honcho body can only sit so low, because
the body's rear tube work restricts that.

So this is about it...
unless one chooses to modify their body or the way that it mounts.

My Honcho body...
with 1.9's tires, stuff partially up into the wells
and it looks fair to scale and works purdy well too.

Does everything purdy well for a scale rig.
I'm always amazed
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
100mm shocks will raise your truck a lot making it easier to tip over....2.2 tires will limit the travel you can get because they are a larger diameter meaning they will hit the body easier with less travel..Other than that shouldn't be a problem.

You can always buy brackets to lower the truck back down but then you have even less travel because the tires will hit sooner...Youll have to trim a lot from the body for clearance.

I would suggest 90mm like stock or 93mm maximum if you must change them and stay with 1.9 tires.
The stock rtr shocks is 73mm ? Is this coorect ?
airride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I would run the 100mm shocks, raise the shock towers and cut the $#!T out of the body.
Nix951980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

They are 90mm if im not mistaken eye to eye. The actual compression/rebound would be under 90mm...Sorry don't have exact numbers on it.

Check out my "Stock SCX10 Performance" thread on the last page...I explain how to get a lot more travel from less than 100mm shocks and not raise your COG but with using 1.9 tires.

2.2 tires are nice but has its set of problems with scale bodies...A lot cut them up and I think it kills the realistic scale looks...To eaches own though.

2.2 does have advantages like better grip but not without sacrifices.

They are also harder on a servo and drivetrain in general.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-01-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Ill just copy my take on shocks here..easier.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM #52
6sharky9
Rock Crawler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Id like to talk about wheel travel and how ive achieved the travel I have on my own Honcho rtr

Its said "more than 1 tires height of articulation or wheel travel is a waste"..so lets say for example you have 90mm shocks or less than 4 inches of travel...with a shock installed straight up and down you don't even have 1 tires worth of flex with small ripsaw tires..lol

you get 1 inch of wheel travel for every 1 inch of shock compression if they are mounted straight up and down...So how tall is your tires???????

4.4 inches 4.5 inches??????..Ok so you have less than 4 inches of shock travel and wheel travel..Bummer...So to get that same travel as your tires height you can do one of 2 things.

You can get taller shocks to reach that holy grail of wheel travel... but then suffer with a higher COG or you can gain travel by mounting your shocks in what is called ALPHA ANGLE...This is when you lean the top of your shock down..What this does is increase wheel travel with less up travel from the shock..Meaning your wheel may move 3 inches upward but your shock only moves maybe 2 inches leaving you with more wheel travel before your shock bottoms out..The angle at which you mount your shock will determine that ratio between wheel travel vs shock travel so you will have to experiment as I did to get it right for your tires/shocks.

This method has other effects though you should know about...it will make your shock act as a softer set up and it lowers your truck the farther you lean them in....so if you feel its too soft for your liking then more shock tuning will be needed to correct that...If your truck sits too low then you need longer shocks to achieve the desired set up...The fact that your truck will respond a lot better to the terrain as well shouldn't be a problem for some of you...If you have stock shock hoops and shocks then mount the shock in to the last holes leaning the shock in the direction of the middle of the chassis...you wont be sorry you did as initial set up..Its not such a drastic change that you have over 1 tires travel but will add to your travel none the less even if only a few millimeters.

What I did on my Honcho was use custom 93mm shocks and layed my shocks down more than the supplied shock hoop mounting holes....This brought my ride height back to stock and actually made my COG lower than stock as the weight of the shocks were moved down as well..Plus I achieved the wheel travel I was after.

I will close by saying you really can only have as much wheel travel as your body and tires will allow before rubbing and destroying your body..How much that is is up to you.

I have a custom scaler also but use stock RTR Honcho 90mm shocks and have well over 45 degrees of articulation because of the angle I mounted the top of the shock...I get just over 5 inches of wheel travel from shocks that aren't even 4 inches of travel...Too much?...well my tires are 5 inches tall so I think its just about right.

Mini SCX10 Ford Raptor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by 6sharky9; Yesterday at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I will say most scaler trucks cant reach 1 tires travel before hitting the body...so this isn't a how to get 1 tires height travel but more how to get the most from your less travel shocks.

If I moved my shocks where I have them mounted now with only 90mm shocks I would lose travel because my height would be lower taking it away as the tires would hit sooner..I have more travel with 93mm shocks than a 100mm shock mounted straight up and down for a trail truck ... 100mm or longer shocks would have to be laid down even more to get back stock height and you could easily obtain the 1 tires height if wanted but you cant really use it without custom cut bodies and having chassis restrictions meaning the axles maybe hitting the chassis restricting it.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-01-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
They are 90mm if im not mistaken eye to eye.
^ this

stroke is 20mm
a 30mm stroke can be attained
if the compression limiter(s) are not installed - (RTR removed)

@6sharky9

if you would buy my unused Axial RTR CO's
I wouldn't have to toss them in the trash
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
^ this

stroke is 20mm
a 30mm stroke can be attained
if the compression limiter(s) are not installed - (RTR removed)

@6sharky9

if you would buy my unused Axial RTR CO's
I wouldn't have to toss them in the trash
You should send them to me instead..ill use them and give you some credit for sending them to me...lol

I would use them on my custom mini scx10 raptor build

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-01-2014 at 04:17 AM.

rubicon unlimted rtr 100m shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axial rubicon unlimted 2012 mod airride Axial SCX-10 7 12-31-2013 03:57 PM
rubicon 2012 unlimted 4 link airride Axial SCX-10 1 12-28-2013 07:50 PM