Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Want speed and torque

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

Default Want speed and torque

Hey, I have a scx10 honcho and I run a 19t motor for more speed and my gearing is 24/87 also for more speed. My battery is a 7 cell 8.4v nimh. I want my truck to be able to have lots of speed and torque like I see in some other trucks. How can I get mine like that. Do i need to build my own motor or upgrade to the strongest lipo? Thanks
Isaiah0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Want speed and torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah0401 View Post
Hey, I have a scx10 honcho and I run a 19t motor for more speed and my gearing is 24/87 also for more speed. My battery is a 7 cell 8.4v nimh. I want my truck to be able to have lots of speed and torque like I see in some other trucks. How can I get mine like that. Do i need to build my own motor or upgrade to the strongest lipo? Thanks
You may have bought the wrong vehicle for what youre looking for in speed.

These aren't super high speed bashers by any means..but I can answer you this... a 2s and even a 3s will give you a lot more speed with a 19T geared like you have it but not sure you wont have problems with overheating and other issues..I suggest maybe a traxxas vxl slash or something else if you want a speed basher.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm in agreement ^
...is not the best chassis design for pushing speed.

Too much power applied...
and you will need to bullet proof that sucker.

sooo....

3s LiPo for mo powa and speed

6s if yer money needs spending... 'cuz maybe U have too much
* but be prepared to spend a small fortune strengthening everything to be bullet proof

@ 6sharky9
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I think it depends on what you do with your truck. I am pretty new to this game but when I put mine together I knew I wanted some speed and torque for the crawling and bashing I do with mine. I use a MMP and Tekin 13.5 brushless on 3s. Yes I have spent a little more on upgrading some of the weaker parts so far. I put Robinson Racing gears in the transmission and the hardened gears in the rear diff so far. I still use the stock drive shafts and the front diff still has the stock gears in it. When those let go I will upgrade those as well. Good luck and I would try just doing a couple changes at a time to get you where you want to be power wise and then change out what brakes or wears out as they come up. As I'm sure you know increasing power will always show you your trucks weak spot.

Last edited by toyota2; 01-06-2014 at 09:16 AM.
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

im with taco and sharky, these rigs are for scale crawling and MINOR bashing, by no means are they savage big blocks that you can fly off jumps and soar over rocks, you should really look into the wraith as a rock racer and skip the scx10 completely, and if your wanting speed and torque together, 3s is the way to go, if you want speed your should be using a 80t spur with that pinion and as sharky said, your going to enter a whole new world of problems with heat issues along with breakage as taco said, you better get to BOMB-proofing your rig and be ready to drop so SERIOUS cheddar on your rig to handle all that power, or else your not going to make it 100yrds on the trail before breaking ANYTHING in line between your motor and the ground.
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah0401 View Post
Lets skip the kid show posted above.. Never, Never, Never put a vxl system in a scaler! Even of only for trail running, it has Zero low end. Unless you gear it So low that it can start smooth, you have No top end...

Moving on.. simply changing over to 2s would give you More of what ur looking for.
Goin 3s, would keep you smiling ear to ear, every time you go out! That and you would be able to gear down which will help ur motor last longer.

I personally love the scx, for crawlabillity and wheel speed runs!
I started out with a 35t HH torquemaster pro on 3s. which is prolly what it getting out of ur 19t on nimh. (fast paced walk?)

I upgraded tranny gears as I broke them. HR metal gears, Robinson, or, ur choice....
I also run MIP drive shafts, their is No substitute!

Then I had a slight battery mix up and ended up getting 2x 4s packs instead of 3s.. since it was cheaper to put a new 25v capacitor on my Fxr, then return the batteries, I started running it on 4s! Can you say rooster's!
Anyways, after a while like that, I got some 16t HH crawlmasters. So I dropped one in my ride.. 87/16 gearing and HOLD ON!
I only ran it on 3s to start, then a sandy, wet, uphill, course came up.. I went 4s and how ridiculous!
the camera man was Not happy.. oops! lol..

With some suspension tuning(traxxas big bores with losi white springs), cvd's replaced my cup an dog bones and metal tranny gears. I have been running this rig for 2 years with stock ring an pinion and stock lockers in the plastic diffs it came with!

If you want low end crawlabillity and top end fun.. do urself a favor and get a crawlmaster!
I just dropped a 30t HH pro flow in it 2 days ago and bout ready to give that a test as well.. if not, its getting a 13t crawlmaster next.. :-D
winnerone23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Lets skip the kid show posted above.. Never, Never, Never put a vxl system in a scaler! Even of only for trail running, it has Zero low end. Unless you gear it So low that it can start smooth, you have No top end...

Moving on.. simply changing over to 2s would give you More of what ur looking for.
Goin 3s, would keep you smiling ear to ear, every time you go out! That and you would be able to gear down which will help ur motor last longer.

I personally love the scx, for crawlabillity and wheel speed runs!
I started out with a 35t HH torquemaster pro on 3s. which is prolly what it getting out of ur 19t on nimh. (fast paced walk?)

I upgraded tranny gears as I broke them. HR metal gears, Robinson, or, ur choice....
I also run MIP drive shafts, their is No substitute!

Then I had a slight battery mix up and ended up getting 2x 4s packs instead of 3s.. since it was cheaper to put a new 25v capacitor on my Fxr, then return the batteries, I started running it on 4s! Can you say rooster's!
Anyways, after a while like that, I got some 16t HH crawlmasters. So I dropped one in my ride.. 87/16 gearing and HOLD ON!
I only ran it on 3s to start, then a sandy, wet, uphill, course came up.. I went 4s and how ridiculous!
the camera man was Not happy.. oops! lol..

With some suspension tuning(traxxas big bores with losi white springs), cvd's replaced my cup an dog bones and metal tranny gears. I have been running this rig for 2 years with stock ring an pinion and stock lockers in the plastic diffs it came with!

If you want low end crawlabillity and top end fun.. do urself a favor and get a crawlmaster!
I just dropped a 30t HH pro flow in it 2 days ago and bout ready to give that a test as well.. if not, its getting a 13t crawlmaster next.. :-D
Lol at "skip the kid show posted above "

Who recommended him a VXL system in an scx10 or a scale truck?
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

No one. Just getting it out of the way.
winnerone23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No one. Just getting it out of the way.
True this is usually the first choice for power in noobs and scalers,

the general thinking is (slash 4x4 + scx10 = rock bouncer)
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah 4s baby!!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, scx10, speed, torque

Want speed and torque - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
alittle more speed and more torque..?? HH muddinscx Axial SCX-10 1 09-19-2011 05:28 PM
Torque Vs. speed menace Electronics 3 02-10-2011 09:11 PM
speed or torque crawlerknownothing Team Losi Comp Crawler 21 12-01-2010 09:19 AM
Creeper speed/torque Cordovan Venom Creeper 4 03-10-2010 08:08 PM
Shopping for torque and speed dirtman Newbie General 18 02-17-2009 07:00 PM