Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: my rig specific upper/lower link combos questions/suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default my rig specific upper/lower link combos questions/suggestions

ok,so to start off with i have recently purchased the following 3 rigs used for myself and my 2 kids. i am happy with them and they are a blast to drive on our local river bottom nature trails. no rocks here in eastern nebraska,but the rest of the fun of course.

when using slightly longer upper links to rotate the axle for better pinion angle,does it have much affect on wheel base? i assume none,but if it does it must be minimal as in 1 or 2 mm if any.

my question in this thread is concerning upper and lower front and rear link combinations and what i would like to accomplish with each rig. i apologize in advance for the length,but i wanted to make sure i covered all bases and info needed

cherokee xj...wheel base of 11.88" or 302mm from center cap to center cap and fits the body as it sits very nicely. rear pinion angle is rotated nicely. i know i need the rear axle truss to use on the front axle to convert to 4 link,but what should i get for upper link length to get a little bit of rotation on the front pinion also (i have no idea of the length of the oem plastic Y link)?

upper rear 98mm
lower rear 95mm homemade
upper front stock plastic Y link
lower front 86mm homemade

commanche...wheel base of 12.06" or 306mm from center cap to center cap and fits the body as it sits very nicely. i would like to get the rear pinion angle rotated a bit,so should i get some 98 mm upper rears to accomplish this? this has the four link conversion with the stock axle truss on the front. i would also like to get the front axle rotated a bit for better pinion angle,but have no idea on the length of the upper aftermarket aluminum links (see pic for upper links style...i would assume they are the same length as the lower front links as the pinion angle is level). suggestions for the front?

upper rear 92mm
lower rear 92mm
upper front ??? aftermarket 4 link conversion with oem axle truss
lower front 98mm

1973 bronco...wheel base of 12.38" or 314mm from center cap to center cap and fits the body as it sits very nicely. the rear pinion angle needs rotated a bit,but i don't know if i can get 112ish mm upper links or should i just use 98mm lower and 106mm upper (will the tires still line up with the wheel wells)? the front is good as i am not going to remove the aftermarket aluminum 3 link and the pinion angle is rotated nicely.

upper rear 98mm
lower rear 106mm
upper front ??? aftermarket aluminum 3 link
lower front 98mm
Attached Images

sawhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: my rig specific upper/lower link combos questions/suggestions

Plenty of threads here about making your own links - cheaper than buying new ones and you take the guess work out of this. Just need some threaded rod, steel or aluminum 3/16" or 1/4" tube, and rod ends - and something to cut the rod/tube with. Many will recommend this as it's cheaper and allows you to tune the vehicles exactly the way you want.

On my Honcho, I used the stock lower link dimensions to make my own links the same length w/ 8/32 threaded rod, 1/4" stainless tube, and Jato ends; then I rotated the axle to the pinion angle I wanted for the uppers, measured, cut, and assembled them.
Cr00zah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ok,that seems simple enough...so traxxas ends are what i need,part numbers possibly?

where's a good place to get the tube?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawhead View Post
ok,that seems simple enough...so traxxas ends are what i need,part numbers possibly?

where's a good place to get the tube?
Revo rod ends.Get these from Your local hobby shop. 8/32 all thread. get this from Lowe's, home depot. and 1/4 brake line.Get this from advance auto, autozone pretty much any car parts store.Some thing to cut the tube. Like a tube cutter.Get his from Lowe's or home depot also. and something to cut the all thread. Something like side cutters or a hacksaw do good. Oh and something to measure with.I use a small measuring tape.
There's what ya need.NOW go and find those how to threads.....Good luck!
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 AM   #5

If you want to change the length on your links you can also use different rod ends. The are a while bunch of options out there.
ROCKCRAWLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys...i just got all lost and caught up in all the info out there and got all bugged out

my rig specific upper/lower link combos questions/suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper and Lower Link building Bigend777str Axial XR10 6 11-26-2010 01:27 PM
upper and lower link material Tydl General Crawlers 3 09-19-2010 06:08 PM
upper and lower link smokediver Newbie General 7 05-06-2010 09:36 PM
Upper link suggestions sierradmax Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 08-07-2008 12:25 AM
Upper/Lower link positions OriginalGTI General Crawlers 5 07-19-2007 08:04 PM