Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: OH no! =o......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default OH no! =o......

It has got me again.....

he he....

I could not resist the special that Tower had on the Wrangler kit just before Christmas....sort of like for me from me

This was my dingo build thread from last year:
and so it starts... have my machine :)

Will adapt the same method's but will be adding the Axial universal's as well.
I have decided to give the 35T motor a try for a little more wheel speed, however the Jeep would have more top end anyway when compared to the Dingo when using the same motor/gears as the new Maxxis Trepador's are much taller! If the 35T gets a little warm then I can always drop the pinion size by a few teeth...

The same Servo will be used as it is great for the price however I am a little worried that it may be on the limit as the larger tyres will put a bit more strain on the servo, especially when in a bind. While I would have liked a slighly more powerful servo, the budget did not allow for this, but at least it will do for now. I am also one for keeping things simple so want to steer away from a BEC, hence me going with a Tekin FXR with it's 6V 3A internal BEC.

The upper links will be changed to ali with a 4 link setup in both the front and rear.

Am going with the Axial beadlocks again and will be giving the new Proline TSL XL's a bash. I really liked the older smaller TSL's and these should be just as good, if not better. Only gripe is that the foams will have to be cut as it looks like Proline shoved the 2.2 foams inside the new taller 1.9 XL!!!

Oooh I am super excited
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: OH no! =o......

Cool job! I got hooked with Tower's Christmas sale too and I'm a first time crawler. (I went with a Rubicon RTR) I went to Walmart over the weekend looking for a driver and could not find much other than the WWE figures.

Man, they don't make 6" action figures any more?????

I did see Woody but he's either too big or a hair too small.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #3

Yup I am another one that got suckered in by the Tower hobbies offer. I ended up with the Honcho as it always has kind of struck me and with Tower hobbies deal I could not pass it up. My truck will not be here until Thursday but I am already looking for beadlocks and tires.
superotto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

looking good bro
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So I got my Rubicon RTR today and it was triple boxed! It came in a shipping box that Tower uses. Then inside is the original Axial shipping box from China. It's heavy duty double walled cardboard and sealed with green Axial tape around all edges! And inside that was the actual truck box. No wonder the UPS manifest said 13.80 lbs!

I am impressed with the box. Great print job and the Axial logo seems painted on as you can feel the "3D'ness" of the "paint".

I still have yet to open the original box. Have to take care some important stuff first....
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys ;)

Yes with all those hard-to-resist sales I am surprized that they still have everything in stock! Well bar the G6 but that never went on sale anyway
Old 03-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Finally found some time over the last few weeks to get it all together...
Colour is Tamiya Florescent green backed with silver and then black.
The Jeep star is a mask I had made up a few years ago when I wanted to do a 2 door Proline jeep for my dingo....which was then sold shortly thereafter L.
Bottom of the chassis looks a little scratched as I had it on the rocks for a test spin prior to completing the body.

Was thinking of mounting the Axial light bar on top of the roof however the light bar mounting would sit between the moulds of the slats in the roof and would possibly deform them so I decided to take the top off. I did not think that I would like it without the roof on but I think it has a nice contrast and balance in colour now.
Just waiting for my Proline roof rack and accessories to come in now.....

Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

Wow I really like that color, Nice!

How much of the foam did you have to cut out for your tires? I just bought the same tires from Tower today and I know they the foams come too big. Thanks
Mammoth4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks very much ;)

I just cut a 15mm disk off and then 45 degreed the outer edges.
They seem ok now. At least they are not stiff anymore....
Old 04-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Got my scale accessories and couldn’t wait to open them up... 
[/URL]

Mounted them by drilling holes from the bottom and cable tying them to the roof rack. At least they won’t come off if I roll over... They jerry can is stuck down with double sided tape and has a screw through the bottom of it as well for some added security. Roof rack is just cable tied to the roll cage. Made a scale ground sheet too. Quite chuffed with it 

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Fashioned up a few scale looking bungee cords too. They seem pretty strong even though they don’t have to be functional...well except to hold the ground sheet in place!
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Last edited by mr lee; 04-07-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Dude, enough making it look pretty... Get it dirty now. Lol. People gonna think us South Africans just like building trucks and not playing with them...

Looks great buddy.
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Louisbaby all in good time

Yip I find the longer wheelbase to be much better than the shorter dingo. Does not see to topple over as easily hence is a little more planted.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr lee View Post
Thanks Louisbaby all in good time

Yip I find the longer wheelbase to be much better than the shorter dingo. Does not see to topple over as easily hence is a little more planted.
I also own a Dingo, and I have found the same thing. Compared to the longer wheelbase of the jeep, when climbing steep inclines, the Dingo does tend to want to flip backwards.

But in saying that, the longer wheelbase gets bottomed out much quicker. And to fix that you lift the truck up a bit with longer shocks or bigger tires. Then you have the same problem of it flipping over backwards.

Over the past weekend, we went trailing up a mountain hiking path. One of the guys had a Jeep like yours, stock standard except for Iroc 1.9 tires. And that thing was solid as a rock. Up and down, made no difference for it, it was just so planted.

So maybe the Jeep is just a bit better than the Dingo, Who knows???
Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Running alot of weights in the front wheels helps alot also.
donnielovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnielovett View Post
Running alot of weights in the front wheels helps alot also.
It does, and it doesn't. Because front wheel weight works well climbing uphill, but it can cause the opposite when going down off a rock or a ledge. I've found your rig should be balance front/rear.

But once again, that's my findings.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Your Rig Really Looks Nice ! Nice Job
Robs07junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Looks great. Love that green.
CrawlSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Fake winch mounted with thin servo/esc tape.
Not keen on getting a working one at this stage as it is not extremely necessary.
[/URL]
[/URL]

Made a tow rope and shoved it on top of the grey tow rope box for easy access J.
Worked great on a recent trail run.
[/URL]

Last edited by mr lee; 04-23-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Fake winch mounted with thin servo/esc tape.
Not keen on getting a working one at this stage as it is not extremely necessary.
[/URL]
[/URL]

Made a tow rope and shoved it on top of the grey tow rope box for easy access J.
Worked great on a recent trail run.
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/835/qje3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

As you can see I have swapped the servo and drag link around. Did this when I built it to try and get more weight to the right side of the chassis to combat the torque twist.
Another known problem is the servo horn and ball link hitting the chassis cross brace on the long wheelbase setup of the Jeep, just above the servo, under full suspension compression. My quick fix was to mount the ball and connector underneath the servo horn to miss the cross brace. I had to grind the screw down by 2mm so that it would miss the servo plate. You can just see how close it is in one of the pictures below.
[/URL]
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/841/oxwcy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Beefed up my drive shafts by adding a piece of the Jeep roll cage off-cuts to strengthen the male part and reduce the “liquorice twist” under load effect. It was a snug fit. There are many sprue’s or negative bits of the parts tress that can be used as an alternative!
Pushed it in all the way and then cut, leaving about 10 – 15mm exposed for easy removal if required for maintenance or repair of the universal joint etc. A drop of Cyano could also be added to secure it in place but it was nice and tight so did not feel the need to do it. I made sure that I was getting full suspension travel without any binding before mounting it all back up.
[/URL]
[/URL]
Old 04-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

simple but good idea with the mounting of the drag link behind the servo arm.
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote