Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SVEN's Trail Class Rubi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SVEN's Trail Class Rubi

Trail Class specs can be viewed HERE.

Won this SCX10 in the 2012 Christmas Giveaway (thanks RPP!). I've been beating on it in stock form for the past year and now it's time to give it some new life for the new USRCCA TRAIL CLASS.

I don't really intend to go all out buying stuff for this. The only thing I've purchased is a steering servo. Everything else is from parts accumulated over the last 10 years. It will be repping some RCC 10 Years stickers for sure.

Per Trail Class rules, either dig or 4 wheel steering is allowed. I will be using an Erickson dig unit, because I have one and I don't like the look of 4ws on a JK.

Power will be supplied by a 4 cell lipo, going to a Holmes Hobbies BRXL (won at Nats last year, Thanks John!). And then to a 55t Holmes Hobbies motor I had from the Clodbuster days. The motor looks to be in good shape and I am hoping the 4 cell will be enough to wake it up. We will have to wait and see on that.

Here it is before the teardown begins
Attached Images

Last edited by SVEN; 02-25-2014 at 10:17 AM.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SVEN's Trail Class Rubi

To get the dig unit in, I had to rotate the skid 180*.

While I was getting into that, I found some Axial high clearance links to put in the rear. Upon installing the lower links I found that they would bind on the stock upper links, so I used some plastic high clearance links for the uppers as well (in the reversed direction).

The high clearance links add about 1/8" to the overall length. The rules allow for + or - 0.5" in the wheelbase, so the little bit of extra length shouldn't hurt anything.
Attached Images

Last edited by SVEN; 02-25-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Let's see what you can do with this, Grasshoppa!
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ive seen a Youtube video of a guy running a 55T on 3s, and the thing had torque for days, id say if i had to guess the speed was maybe 1/2-3/4 of what a stock rtr rubi does...so i was actually super surprised how quick it was, 4s should definitely still have good wheel speed
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Drew up and cut out a rear electronics and dig servo plate on the old router. I havent cut anything in months, so it came out a little rough, but good enough to use.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

ESC and rx are mounted, I just need to solder on a deans connector for the esc and find an extension for the steering servo wire. The mounting plate has holes for the stock rx box, if I want some added protection for the receiver.

The 4 cell 850mah packs I use for my Super fit nicely up front between the frame rails and is strapped to the crossmember.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Took it to an ETRC competition at the Ocoee Whitewater Center in Copperhill, TN. Had a blast running the Trail Class courses and also the 'for fun' 20 flag trail run.

First thing on the to do list is a battery mount for a full size pack. I killed two 850mah packs on the trail run and only made it half the distance. Still fun while the packs lasted though. Also need to make the front bumper less in the way and take the spare tire carrier off. I don't see any flats in my near future, so it's got to go.
Attached Images

SVEN's Trail Class Rubi - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2.2 Trail Rubi JJWOLF 2.2 Scale Rigs 46 01-09-2012 08:39 AM
Sven's Kamikaze Kustoms Zero MRC SVEN Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 37 10-05-2009 12:05 PM
SVEN's Mini GC2 SVEN Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 27 02-13-2009 03:14 AM