Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My First Scale crawler SCX10 G6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Default My First Scale crawler SCX10 G6

This is my first scale crawler I have background in off road racing, 1/8 e buggy and sct class. Figured this would be fun to do around my area and out in the back woods when I'm not racing. Kit is a scx10 G6, tekin fxr esc and 35t motor. Went with a solor d772 servo figured will abuse it an see what it does. At $25 nothing to lose! I put the esc and rx in the rx box. Still have to seal it to preven water getting inside. When I built the kit I did the mirror mod on the transmission. Than added super swamper boggers. Other than that it's stock. Any suggestion or input would be great hopefully get outside soon once we get above 0 degrees!!!scx10 1 photo image.jpgscx motor photo image-1.jpg
scx 10 servo photo image-2.jpg

Last edited by tlakose11; 01-09-2014 at 10:02 PM.
tlakose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My First Scale crawler SCX10 G6

Weight your front tires, mod. the stock shocks (go to the tips & tricks for the scx10). You might want upper aluminum links as well, and four link the front if you haven't already. Then mount your receiver box in the back and put the battery tray on the frame that is zip-tied to the shock hoops, it will lower center of graviy. Then you can put a steel rod and glue it in the drivehshafts, it will add strength. Other than that get it dirty and have fun. - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Instead of the glued steel rod, just use the thick plastic part of an axial parts tree. Shear off all the extra plastic until you have just the rod. Then put it in the drive shaft and cut the rod 3/8" past the end, no glue. That way you can pull it out with pliers if need be.
bigdogs21ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Great Color.
ski29mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogs21ford View Post
Instead of the glued steel rod, just use the thick plastic part of an axial parts tree. Shear off all the extra plastic until you have just the rod. Then put it in the drive shaft and cut the rod 3/8" past the end, no glue. That way you can pull it out with pliers if need be.
Well yeah that would work but think about this, I put the steel rod in my brushless wraith running 3s on tekin power and it never snapped the stock shaft but it is actually turning the plastic around the steel so if that was plastic it would snap in a heart beat, yes I know I'm talking about a wraith but its a suggestion. I have never had to take my driveshafts apart because with that steel rod and the glue used called "shoe glue" or whatever will keep that rod in.
It is complete BS to buy MIP shafts or any other brand for these trucks, if it was a traxxas slash that you race with then yeah but not a scx10 (just saying).
Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
Well yeah that would work but think about this, I put the steel rod in my brushless wraith running 3s on tekin power and it never snapped the stock shaft but it is actually turning the plastic around the steel so if that was plastic it would snap in a heart beat, yes I know I'm talking about a wraith but its a suggestion. I have never had to take my driveshafts apart because with that steel rod and the glue used called "shoe glue" or whatever will keep that rod in.
It is complete BS to buy MIP shafts or any other brand for these trucks, if it was a traxxas slash that you race with then yeah but not a scx10 (just saying).
I accept that. Do you recall what size steel rod you used? I might have to upgrade for more peace of mind. ( I would like to go brushless on my wifes wraith based 1/6 ford raptor)
bigdogs21ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogs21ford View Post
I accept that. Do you recall what size steel rod you used? I might have to upgrade for more peace of mind. ( I would like to go brushless on my wifes wraith based 1/6 ford raptor)
Well I'm sorry I can't think of the size of that rod I used, I still have it but I may have to check and see. What kind of brushless system are you planning on using? Like do you plan to crawl or bash? Here is my set-up in my wraith:
- Tekin gens 1 rs brushless esc
- tekin gens 2 10.5t redline brushless motor
- venom 3s 50c 5000 mah
I am warning you though you will need full steel gear tranny, if you are confused then just pm me about all I have done to my wraith upgrades/mods.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #8

just looked at my scx10 and mounting the battery tray on the frame isn't a option the steering servo is on the axle and it goes above he frame. any other suggestions? I'd like to leave the battery in the front for the weight. Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski29mike View Post
Great Color.
Thanks it's pretty sweet in the sun. It's keylime pearl from faskolor

Last edited by THX_138; 03-23-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlakose11 View Post
just looked at my scx10 and mounting the battery tray on the frame isn't a option the steering servo is on the axle and it goes above he frame. any other suggestions? I'd like to leave the battery in the front for the weight. Thanks for the input
There are a few ways to mount the battery. You can buy a plate from a vendor like this Jevne one:

Recon Brick Plate - Blank Title

You can also fab one up yourself and make it work in the same location. A lot of guys have done it, I'm sure you could search and find a how-to. I'm just starting my G6 build, and I'm thinking of the Jevne unit for the CMS.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #10

I'm building mine right now. My color is very similar. I'm installing a light controller for all those damn light spots on this thing. I purchased a Axial Wrangler rear bumper to house the tail lights since the G6 kit doesn't have tail light mounts. Now I have to figure out how to water proof a NVS light controller since plasti-dip is not an option.

I would recommend at least a simple light controller -TowerHobbies.com | Axial LED Light Set w/Controller and Lights with a 5 light string - TowerHobbies.com | Axial 5-LED Light String White

This would really help with the scale looks. I would use the 4 white led string that comes with the simple light controller to light the head lights and bumper lights and then use the 5 led light string for the light bar up top. It would look much more scale and the simple light controller is very easy install and tuck away for protection from elements.
Reqlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #11

I'm not to concerned about lights right now my goal is to make it trail worthy and to make sure all electronics are sealed and everything work to the way I like it. Than lights will be added along with a winch and a few other goodies

Went out last weekend for a little playtime just a pic of the truck

Bigger view

More of the crew last weekend

Afternoon crawling session

About fell off the edge

Last edited by THX_138; 03-23-2014 at 08:30 PM.

My First Scale crawler SCX10 G6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want a nice scale lookin crawler! Axial SCX10 TR??? good? or no??? yellowpasta2000 Axial SCX-10 31 11-07-2009 09:36 AM