RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   just installed moter (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/477624-just-installed-moter.html)

insutama 01-10-2014 08:52 AM

just installed moter

I just installed a 27T holms hobbies moter in my axial scx 10 i havent hooked it up to the esc or reciver yet but when i push the truck with the tires on it is really hard to move and the moter wines is that normal ?

bigdogs21ford 01-10-2014 08:55 AM

Re: just installed moter

It is hard to move because of the gearing. Its normal. Make sure you spaced the pinion away from the spur with a piece of paper in the gear, then once you tighten the motor screws turn the gear and pull the paper out. Wire up the motor and have fun.

Tom95YJ 01-10-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogs21ford (Post 4622500)
It is hard to move because of the gearing. Its normal. Make sure you spaced the pinion away from the spur with a piece of paper in the gear, then once you tighten the motor screws turn the gear and pull the paper out. Wire up the motor and have fun.

^ This

Jus 01-10-2014 09:11 AM

Yes it's normal.

insutama 01-11-2014 06:41 PM

Oh damn I didn't realize this step ill have to take moter off and reinstall it. So I put a peace of paper between pinion and spur gear?

Jus 01-12-2014 09:27 PM

I don't like the paper trick. It has never worked very well for me. I just do it by feel and adjust if necessary. I rock the spur back and forth against the pinion and make sure a small amount of play is there and check it at 3-4 different locations around the rotation of the spur and then lock it down and check again.

allanon1965 01-12-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus (Post 4626211)
I don't like the paper trick. It has never worked very well for me. I just do it by feel and adjust if necessary. I rock the spur back and forth against the pinion and make sure a small amount of play is there and check it at 3-4 different locations around the rotation of the spur and then lock it down and check again.

second this method, works great and if its wrong, you can tell by the sound of the gears...although that takes some experience to know what to listen for "thumbsup"

Johnnysplits 01-13-2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus (Post 4626211)

I'll third this method. I actually use a magnifying glass to get a precise visual on the gear backlash after I tighten the motor screws down.

realsickclown 01-13-2014 04:33 AM

if he is not got the skill set to set the mesh yet, he may best off using a pc. of cellophane from your smokes or a receipt tape from the hobby store to set the gear mesh the first few times until he knows what he is looking for??? paper seems to be to thick for the 48p gear tooth