Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: bump stops removal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default bump stops removal?

How does this change anything? Ok, my stock Rubicon's trepadors are completely into the wheel well when the suspension is fully compressed to the bump stops. How is removing them gonna help anything? With or without them it's the same result. Am I missing something here?
fatsachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: bump stops removal?

You gain a small amount of shock travel
Bogncrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Very small amount of extra compression. You actually have to make more modifications if you want the axle to compress the shocks completely. ie- cut the rear axle truss to clear the frame, move the front cross member so the servo horn clears it.
bigdogs21ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

They do more good than harm. Axial put them there for a reason.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnLatex View Post
They do more good than harm. Axial put them there for a reason.
Yeah I'm not much for getting new things and chopping them up. It seems like every hobby I've ever been in the guys do this, it's that seemingly ever present human need to mess with things. Like I said though how am I gonna get more suspension travel if my wheels will already touch the wheel wells at full compression? I have my body on the highest post settings to. I still don't get it. Making them rub doesn't benefit me in any way. I'll leave em alone since I'm not a shock engineer, I'm sure they are there for a reason like you said.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsachs View Post
Yeah I'm not much for getting new things and chopping them up. It seems like every hobby I've ever been in the guys do this, it's that seemingly ever present human need to mess with things. Like I said though how am I gonna get more suspension travel if my wheels will already touch the wheel wells at full compression? I have my body on the highest post settings to. I still don't get it. Making them rub doesn't benefit me in any way. I'll leave em alone since I'm not a shock engineer, I'm sure they are there for a reason like you said.
They there for the reasons you said plus if they help with hard landings, and they also help not over compress the shocks causing the shocks to leak.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I find this thread pointless. Either you like/need bump stops or you don't, simple as that. Only benefits from removal are the reasons stated above. Yes, axial may have put them there for a reason too, but people are gonna do what they like no matter what. As the saying goes, to each his own.

- Richard
creepinchevy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

If your body is at the highest setting and your rubbing still, i have seen on Vanquish Products site a shock relocation bracket (havent really looked into it that much as i am not interested in it), and there is also a couple different 'lift kits' available. I had an issue with my front truss hitting my servo horn, just took a dremel and shaved as much off as needed. Look to see where is it making contact and shave some off until your horn clears it. just make sure you also check for contact with the steering turned to prevent binding when trying to turn and suspension is compressed. I have seen this done to a few rigs on here. I wasnt very keen on completely removing it.
355C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepinchevy69 View Post
I find this thread pointless. Either you like/need bump stops or you don't, simple as that. Only benefits from removal are the reasons stated above. Yes, axial may have put them there for a reason too, but people are gonna do what they like no matter what. As the saying goes, to each his own.

- Richard
More times than I can count, I've seen people recommend cutting them off as a first "mod" just for something to do, with no real reason behind it. Telling new people to do this without understanding what it'll change for the good or bad. it's not cool.

On a Honcho for instance it does add articulation without grinding the tires into the body but I've found it to be too much. That's my years of driving experience out in the woods. Sure someone might disagree with me, but don't tell a newbie to do it just because you like it. Let them decide for themselves if it'll benefit them or not.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Gee...I raced off road rc for years and never ran bump stops. If you bleed your shocks properly, they won't leak. I noticed a bit more in the articulation department with them removed.
Hotrodvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I run two small o-rings in their place currently. On my G6 it seems to be the right amount of bump stop to me.

I never run no bump stop, as someone already mentioned you will over compress the shocks / beat stuff together. As is the same in 1:1, the only way to know how much bump stop to use is mount everything up (body, tires, etc.) and flex everything out. You want just enough bump to keep stuff from banging into other stuff and ripping crap out.

Fully bumped / completely cutting out the bumps is most likely not the optimum settings, but I would go fully over none personally.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
RCC Addict

My thoughts were the stoppers were to keep the piston from over extending and hitting the shock caps but thats not what ive found to be the case...The lower shock ends will stop the pistons long before that happens..Im not thiking they are there to stop leaks as they come from the factory already leaking having just compressed the shock a few times...Both my RTR,s leaked right out of the box and many more will.

Removing them will give you some added upward travel and not hurt anything at all..These aren't high speed racers and huge air jumpers where the weight of the vehicle gets slammed into the ground.

If you want more travel then take them off or get longer travel shocks...if you don't then leave them on.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
More times than I can count, I've seen people recommend cutting them off as a first "mod" just for something to do, with no real reason behind it. Telling new people to do this without understanding what it'll change for the good or bad. it's not cool.

On a Honcho for instance it does add articulation without grinding the tires into the body but I've found it to be too much. That's my years of driving experience out in the woods. Sure someone might disagree with me, but don't tell a newbie to do it just because you like it. Let them decide for themselves if it'll benefit them or not.
Ive added even more travel than just removing those stoppers...Ill say if you want to use a much taller tire it can be a problem but with most 1.9 tires you will benefit from the added travel and not gain height hurting the CG of the vehicle...More travel is a bonus up to a certain point

I would recommend that mod to anyone who wanted more travel with the shorter dia. 1.9 tires..has no ill effects what so ever unless you don't have the room for more travel.

Its not even close to an excess amount of travel in general.

But you are right with the honcho being more forgiving as it has no fender to hit on the rear and has a lot more room before it hits the cage...Mine is set up to be about 1mm from hitting the cage at full articulation in the rear...the front just rubs the fender with the steering turned at full articulation up front.

Im basicly maxed out with articulation I can have on my honcho without going to a much smaller diameter tire..I absolutely love it.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #14
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I know they are called bump stops but they are really there to control up travel/limit articulation. And on that subject, I'm of the school of thought that less is better. More stable, won't twist itself into a pretzel. More traction in off camber situations, able to carry a front tire over a hole, and no excessive body trimming to clear tires, especially slightly bigger tires that many of us like. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Jus; 01-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #15

Quote:
I know they are called bump stops but they are really there to control up travel/limit articulation. And on that subject, I'm of the school of thought that less is better. More stable, won't twist itself into a pretzel. More traction in off camber situations, able to carry a front tire over a hole, and no excessive body trimming to clear tires, especially slightly bigger tires that many of us like. I'll leave it at that.
Are you serious?
christianewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know they are called bump stops but they are really there to control up travel/limit articulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianewing View Post
Are you serious?
he is

and for those dummy's that cut those spacers off...

they only need spin the end off the shock shaft, then remove.
removed undamaged... they can be utilized for other things.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355C View Post
If your body is at the highest setting and your rubbing still, i have seen on Vanquish Products site a shock relocation bracket (havent really looked into it that much as i am not interested in it), and there is also a couple different 'lift kits' available. I had an issue with my front truss hitting my servo horn, just took a dremel and shaved as much off as needed. Look to see where is it making contact and shave some off until your horn clears it. just make sure you also check for contact with the steering turned to prevent binding when trying to turn and suspension is compressed. I have seen this done to a few rigs on here. I wasnt very keen on completely removing it.
Yeah I had the same issue, removed some surface on that cross member and it's all good.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I never told anyone to do anything? All I'm saying is every rig and every RCer is different. Some need bump stops, some dont. I never ran bump stops on my rig because I wanted that little bit more articulation so I can tuck how I wanted. The OP needs them tho because he's already fully tucked when maxed out. I know there's other benefits to bump stops too and yes it's good for new comers to know about em but like I said earlier, every rig and every RCer is different. That's all I'm saying.

- Richard
creepinchevy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
he is

and for those dummy's that cut those spacers off...

they only need spin the end off the shock shaft, then remove.
removed undamaged... they can be utilized for other things.
X2

I don't give a crap if someone want to use their bump stops or not, but why people ruin them taking them off I will never understand. Maybe I'm weird but I have storage containers for every nut, bolt, bushing, spacer, spare parts, etc. Ruining a good part just doesn't make sense. I bet a lot of the shocks that get the bumps cut off get the shock shaft scratched by the razor too.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #20
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepinchevy69 View Post
I never told anyone to do anything? All I'm saying is every rig and every RCer is different. Some need bump stops, some dont. I never ran bump stops on my rig because I wanted that little bit more articulation so I can tuck how I wanted. The OP needs them tho because he's already fully tucked when maxed out. I know there's other benefits to bump stops too and yes it's good for new comers to know about em but like I said earlier, every rig and every RCer is different. That's all I'm saying.

- Richard
I know I quoted you but that particular comment wasn't directed at you.

bump stops removal? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering Bump Stops Freakshow185 Redcat Crawlers 3 02-01-2012 08:11 PM
axle stops/bump stops limit axle upward movement meanbgreen General Scale Talk 7 01-27-2012 03:02 PM
Bump stops? starvenamrvin General Scale Talk 3 01-27-2009 02:03 PM
RC bump stops RockCrawlingKid General Crawlers 8 01-11-2008 05:34 PM
bump stops GOMUDN General Crawlers 10 05-12-2006 06:28 AM