Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RC4WD CMS kit problems...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RC4WD CMS kit problems...

I just got my new SCX-10 Rubicon kit and I waited to finish building it until the CMS kit from RC4WD showed up. It came today and I installed it per the instruction online as it came with none.

Problem one: You can't use the stock front bumper mount that comes in the Rubicon kit. The servo location interferes with the mount. Really!? The website says its for the Honcho and Rubicon!

Problem two: I've lost about 30% of the articulation on the drivers side due to the panhard bar hitting the servo mount. This is ridiculous, did they not even make sure the kit was engineered correctly? I'm very unhappy about this and I'm gonna finish the kit in stock servo on axle form...

To top it off, RPP Hobby, who I bought it from says that I can't return it because it was installed. How could I know that it was a crap kit unless I installed it? I have an email out to the owner of RPP to hopefully resolve this issue.

So, anyone else with the same issues?
Scionizer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WD CMS kit problems...

I just put it on my rubicon and all I did was trim the stock front bumper mount on the left side. no issue at really...

to regain articulation I trimmed off the left side mounting post on the axle that was used for the servo mounting plate, again not a big deal to me as I wont be going back to an axle mounted servo hope the pics are clear enough..

all in all, I am pleased with the kit. works as well as the stock setup for me. Anytime you make modifications there are going to be things you have to alter on your rig, its part of the experience
Attached Images

Last edited by allanon1965; 01-15-2014 at 03:27 PM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I can live with trimming the bumper mount. Do you get full travel with trimming the axle mount? Thanks for the pics. I really appreciate them.
Scionizer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I get about 90% travel on that side....but it really isn't an issue...I still have the snubbers in the shocks so the oversized tires I have stay out of the body when flexing.

My setup has plenty of flex for the way I use my Rubicon, which is a mix of trail and light to moderate crawling.

If I want to really do hardcore crawling I go with my modified wraith...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Just installed on my rubicon kit. There are several items that needs to be addressed. But, works great with full travel on 100mm shocks.

1. Trim driver side front bumper holder
2. Adjustable shock mount, this will allow for clearance issues with front axle
3. 3mm shims for panhard rod near the servo. Approx. 1mm, if you are using the axial aluminum horn.

Besides those 3 items everything bolted up nicely, full travel with no binding issues. I will make a video of this kit.
Fastyz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Your gonna lose some articulation, it's more for scale appearance.
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:51 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Not really, watch my video of my scx10 with the cms Kit.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yQaqEsVggUE
Old 02-29-2016, 04:26 AM   #8

I have it on my Class 1 Subaru Brat & it works very well. I removed to upright servo mounts from the axle as well. I also have the RC4wd high steer knuckles & their aluminum c-hubs. I will try to post a couple pics later. I also modifies the stock axles as I found on this sight & have killer steering with this set-up.
Naz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastyz400 View Post
Not really, watch my video of my scx10 with the cms Kit.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yQaqEsVggUE
depends on how much articulation you have to start with, if the stock suspension travel, or near to it, is all you have when you add the CMS, there won't be much lost with it. much more articulation than stock and you see why most have an issue with a CMS

there is no performance gain with the CMS, it's simply a "scale points" appearance upgrade
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
depends on how much articulation you have to start with, if the stock suspension travel, or near to it, is all you have when you add the CMS, there won't be much lost with it. much more articulation than stock and you see why most have an issue with a CMS

there is no performance gain with the CMS, it's simply a "scale points" appearance upgrade
Yes, i agree. I didnt find any loss in articulatuon with the RC4WD setup. I did have problems with the level 3 cms kit when going to 100mm shocks. I will post that in another video and my fix for it. I just like the look of a chassis mounted servo. It removes all the clutter up front.

If you have longer shocks, this is where the problem occurs. You need a longer panhard rod or raise the mounting point on the axle side. On level 3 cms, I had to change the mounting point to the end of my axle. That did the trick.

Last edited by Fastyz400; 02-29-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
don't forget to plug those holes in the axle, I just used the screws that mounted the 4 link mount.
teddymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastyz400 View Post
Yes, i agree. I didnt find any loss in articulatuon with the RC4WD setup.
I do have a bit of binding with downward travel, with g-transition shocks (90mm droop with 107mm full extension). I'd say the CMS is good to 100mm or so, max.

The MIP axles I got are NOT good beyond 95mm though. So I may have to rethink my project.
teddymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddymac View Post
I do have a bit of binding with downward travel, with g-transition shocks (90mm droop with 107mm full extension). I'd say the CMS is good to 100mm or so, max.

The MIP axles I got are NOT good beyond 95mm though. So I may have to rethink my project.
Yes, you will have binding issues with 107mm shocks. The only way around this would be extend the 3rd link to reduce the angle of the drive shaft. Then get some Adjustable C hubs. So, your caster won't be outa wack.
Axial SCX10 SCX03 Alu C Hub Black 30495 | eBay
Old 03-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddymac View Post

if you're getting drivehsaft bind a full drop you just need to clock the axle a little, a 1-2mm shim on the upper links should be plenty, 0.5mm might be enough

Last edited by Soldat Vaillant; 03-02-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
if you're getting drivehsaft bind a full drop you just need to clock the axle a little a 1-2mm shim on the upper links should be plenty, 0.5mm might be enough

I tried that before. Your steering gets whacked. That's why you need the adjustable c hubs.

RC4WD CMS kit problems... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD CMS and panhard kit Airdet Axial SCX-10 15 02-27-2014 02:56 PM
Looks like RC4WD is making the handbros CMS kit WAFFLE Axial SCX-10 19 10-20-2013 09:11 AM
RC4WD CMS kit for SCX10 NEW RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-15-2013 11:20 AM
rc4wd cms vs hand brothers cms kit bronc4now Axial SCX-10 4 05-16-2012 07:14 PM