Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New SCX-10 owner, now what

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #1

Default New SCX-10 owner, now what

Was looking for an RC truck that could keep my 5 year olds attention for more than 2 minutes, after much reading on here, I decided on the SCX10 Rubicon. After owning dozens of 1:1 Jeeps, it just seemed like the right choice.

Anyhow, got a low mileage RTR off ebay, should be here in a few days. My question, and Im sure its been asked before, aside from just driving the hell out of it, are there any upgrades or parts that should be swapped reasonably early? Our use will be modest but like anything else, Im getting twitchy about wanting to tinker with it....just because.

Thanks to all the threads ive read on here, I decided that just one wouldn't be fun, so I also picked up a Dingo and Cherokee body just for good measure....now spend my money.

I should also add that this is my first venture into hobby RC so my atual knowldge is limited to what ive been able to read over the last 4 days
warpig602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New SCX-10 owner, now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig602 View Post
Was looking for an RC truck that could keep my 5 year olds attention for more than 2 minutes, after much reading on here, I decided on the SCX10 Rubicon. After owning dozens of 1:1 Jeeps, it just seemed like the right choice.

Anyhow, got a low mileage RTR off ebay, should be here in a few days. My question, and Im sure its been asked before, aside from just driving the hell out of it, are there any upgrades or parts that should be swapped reasonably early? Our use will be modest but like anything else, Im getting twitchy about wanting to tinker with it....just because.

Thanks to all the threads ive read on here, I decided that just one wouldn't be fun, so I also picked up a Dingo and Cherokee body just for good measure....now spend my money.

I should also add that this is my first venture into hobby RC so my atual knowldge is limited to what ive been able to read over the last 4 days
Really you don't have replace anything right off the bat...There are some areas considered weak points.

The suspension links are considered weak point;most replace those to an aluminum or steel type link.

The steering links are another area and replaced as well with the same.

Other than that you really don't NEED anything for it.

Your dingo kit will come with the better links on it im describing as you will see.

Basicly just drive it and replace/upgrade as needed if you break something.

If you want a little better low end power and control then consider replacing the stock 20 tooth motor pinion gear to a 16T on the RTR.
Also convert the battery from over the rear axle to the front axle for better performance as far as climbing is concerned.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-18-2014 at 07:57 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Really you don't have replace anything right off the bat...There are some areas considered weak points but really if you don't over power it they aren't really much of an issue.

The suspension links are considered weak,,most replace those to an aluminum or steel type link.

The steering links are another area and replaced as well with the same.

Other than that you really don't NEED anything for it.

Your dingo kit will come with the better links on it im describing as you will see.

Basicly just drive it and replace/upgrade as needed if you break something.

Yeah, Im sure my "want" to replace will overcome my "need". Thanks for the tip on the steering links.

I see there are a ton of vendors making aftermarket replacement parts for this platform. Is there a general consensus on who offers the best bang for your buck or does it just depend on the specific parts.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

What radio and electronics did you buy for the Dingo?
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, Im sure my "want" to replace will overcome my "need". Thanks for the tip on the steering links.

I see there are a ton of vendors making aftermarket replacement parts for this platform. Is there a general consensus on who offers the best bang for your buck or does it just depend on the specific parts.
Most of what you will find were designed by people who compete with their rigs and found a need for better than what was offered or not offered by the aftermarket..Alot of it can work for a an average guy just playing around for fun.

Just do research before buying something on an impulse buy.

Youll be surprised how capable your truck is even in stock form..The more you learn about the truck stock will help you decide whats best concerning upgrades to fit your needs.

These trucks can turn into money pits really fast with aftermarket parts...Like I say just drive it and see what you have problems with and upgrade accordingly...Don't get caught into thinking you need to replace everything with the best out there because you don't.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-18-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

everyone says go for VP parts but that's up to you I personally think that the stage 1 kit is all I'll need of VP for my Dingo, I replaced the Trans gears with all steel GPM gears and I've got some HR diff spools on order along with Junfac drive shafts and LVL3 upper 4 link mounts. My next upgrade will be the VP stage 1 kit then some RC4WD front Axles and then new Dampers And I think that should be right where I want it to be!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
What radio and electronics did you buy for the Dingo?
I actually picked up 2 Dingos and the Rubicon. I know my wife is going to want to play and try and steal mine so I figured I might as well get it out of the way. The other Dingo and Rubicon I got RTR so I decided I wanted a kit so I can see how it all goes together and be better suited to fix stuff when it breaks down the road.

I havent decided on any electronics yet, still reading up on everything, mainly the stickied thread here with what everyone else is running. Right now Im leaning towards Tekin 35T and FX-R
Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
everyone says go for VP parts but that's up to you I personally think that the stage 1 kit is all I'll need of VP for my Dingo, I replaced the Trans gears with all steel GPM gears and I've got some HR diff spools on order along with Junfac drive shafts and LVL3 upper 4 link mounts. My next upgrade will be the VP stage 1 kit then some RC4WD front Axles and then new Dampers And I think that should be right where I want it to be!
Just checked out their website, I can definitely see myself spending some money there!

Kewl family trail runs! I'm using a FlySky iT4 radio they're cheap @ about 150-180 bucks have telemetry and can be used with 4WS and dig with 4 channel mixing etc a great radio for the price! I also use a Bluebird BMS-810MG+HS torque servo again a good cheap servo @ $28 even looks like the RTR servo. As for the ESC I went cheap again and bought a HW 80A WP ESC and a Speed Passion 21.5T BL motor

Last edited by THX_138; 01-18-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

oh forgot I got some Beef Tubes coming as well thanks to 6sharky9 for putting me onto them, I'm going to stay with the stock axle housings as I'm lead to believe they don't get hung up on rocks as bad as alloy ones can that and they're like 12 bucks to replace. the Beef Tubes go inside with a little modification and make the housings a lot tougher you can find them in the vendor section!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #10

Here is a description from the seller on the RTR Dingo, he also threw in a Duratrax Onyx 200 charger. Paid 250.00 shipped to my door, didnt seem like a bad deal but who knows.

"Axial SCX10. It has 4-link rear axle, 3-link front axle, all steel lower links, chassis mounted servo, MIP steel CVD driveshafts, custom steering links and 2.2 Losi Rock Claw tires. For electronics it has RC4WD 2.4ghz rx/tx, Axial AE-2 esc, 55t motor and 130 oz metal gear servo. Works great, very reliable truck. (3000mah ni-mh battery is included). A custom rack was installed and will come with some sale down items (wood, rifle, sleeping bags and bungees)."

The Rubicon is bone stock so no description or pics needed there

Quote:
have telemetry and can be used with 4WS and dig with 4 channel mixing etc
Is that English I love getting into a new hobby and having to Google everything somebody says, hahaha. I actually learn quite a bit that way!

Last edited by THX_138; 01-18-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Here is a description from the seller on the RTR Dingo, he also threw in a Duratrax Onyx 200 charger. Paid 250.00 shipped to my door, didnt seem like a bad deal but who knows.

"Axial SCX10. It has 4-link rear axle, 3-link front axle, all steel lower links, chassis mounted servo, MIP steel CVD driveshafts, custom steering links and 2.2 Losi Rock Claw tires. For electronics it has RC4WD 2.4ghz rx/tx, Axial AE-2 esc, 55t motor and 130 oz metal gear servo. Works great, very reliable truck. (3000mah ni-mh battery is included). A custom rack was installed and will come with some sale down items (wood, rifle, sleeping bags and bungees)."

The Rubicon is bone stock so no description or pics needed there

That's not a bad price at all for that.

Only changes I personally would make are a better motor and go to a 2s lipo battery..Its a stock RTR ESC like the one you will get on the RTR rubicon.
EDIT: I would convert the front to 4 link also.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-18-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

that's a great deal! My kit cost me about 500 with electronics I already had the radio tho. pretty much set up the same as mine other than the CMS but I'll be doing that eventually too! does it have a panhard setup with the 3 link front I think they need one?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Is that English I love getting into a new hobby and having to Google everything somebody says, hahaha. I actually learn quite a bit that way!
lol the telemetry sends data back to the radio like speed or battery levels etc. 4WS is 4 wheel steer and dig is a device that locks up the rear wheels or lets them free wheel as well as 4WD if you get a 3 mode dig 2 mode digs only lock the rear wheels channel mixing is exactly that allows you to mix channels by percentage so if you steer 100% on the front it can apply 50% on the rear etc.

Last edited by pickled; 01-18-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #14

Quote:
That's not a bad price at all for that.

Only changes I personally would make are a better motor and go to a 2s lipo battery..Its a stock RTR ESC like the one you will get on the RTR rubicon.
Good to know my little bit of research paid off. The Rubicon I got actually came with a 2S Lipo(and was converted to a Deans connector?) so I ordered an identical one and charger for those. It appears this one also has Deans connectors?

I was waiting on upgrading the motor until I can read around to see what would work best for me without killing my wallet(as if 3 new rigs didnt) I generally go overkill for my uses with anything I do. I hate buying things twice.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Good to know my little bit of research paid off. The Rubicon I got actually came with a 2S Lipo(and was converted to a Deans connector?) so I ordered an identical one and charger for those. It appears this one also has Deans connectors?

I was waiting on upgrading the motor until I can read around to see what would work best for me without killing my wallet(as if 3 new rigs didnt) I generally go overkill for my uses with anything I do. I hate buying things twice.
Deans connectors are popular and very good plugs.

Well if you want the best and only spend money one time then I hope you have a heavy wallet.

That's why I say just drive it and see what you have a problem with..you don't really need to spend a ton of money to have a reliable capable rig.

But we all do what we want in the end..so good luck to you with it..Keep updates coming.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #16

Quote:
lol the telemetry sends data back to the radio like speed or battery levels etc. 4WS is 4 wheel steer and dig is a device that locks up the rear wheels or lets them free wheel as well as 4WD if you get a 3 mode dig 2 mode digs only lock the rear wheels channel mixing is exactly that allows you to mix channels by percentage so if you steer 100% on the front it can apply 50% on the rear etc.

Thanks! I actually like the idea of seeing battery levels as my reading has suggested that discharging them too low is bad news. Dig....sounds like my ARB air lockers on my Jeeps.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks! I actually like the idea of seeing battery levels as my reading has suggested that discharging them too low is bad news. Dig....sounds like my ARB air lockers on my Jeeps.
A dig allows you to switch from 2wd to 4wd on the fly using a servo and a separate channel..Can help you make tight turns or maneuver in tighter areas...generally used in competitions...but I guess can be fun just playing in general.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #18

Quote:
that's a great deal! My kit cost me about 500 with electronics I already had the radio tho. pretty much set up the same as mine other than the CMS but I'll be doing that eventually too! does it have a panhard setup with the 3 link front I think they need one?
Here are the pics of the links:

Quote:
A dig allows you to switch from 2wd to 4wd on the fly using a servo and a separate channel..Can help you make tight turns or maneuver in tighter areas...generally used in competitions...but I guess can be fun just playing in general.
So similar to a transfer case, not a locker?

Quote:
Deans connectors are popular and very good plugs.

Well if you want the best and only spend money one time then I hope you have a heavy wallet.

That's why I say just drive it and see what you have a problem with..you don't really need to spend a ton of money to have a reliable capable rig.

But we all do what we want in the end..so good luck to you with it..Keep updates coming.
Compared to my other hobbies of guns and photography, this is the cheaper of the 3. In reality I just want to be able to get the family out and do something different. More than likley my mods will be mild if any, guess it just depends on how much the rest of the family gets into it.

Nice!

Quote:
For those interested in this thread ill be doing some updating and adding some info as well and some editing to maybe re word a few things..Thanks to those who have supported the thread.
I will have more info coming.
Keep em coming.....newbs and inquiring minds want to know

Last edited by THX_138; 01-27-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

the stock ESC has the lipo cut off in it just need to hook it up to a pc to enable it. yeah you don't want to get them lower than about 3.2V Per cell I usually have my cut offs set to 3.4V on my drifters
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #20

Just do alot of research in this section of the forum, once you have done that you will have a good idea as to what to upgrade on your rig and will be able to make your own decisions as to what to buy.
Lead City Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

New SCX-10 owner, now what - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New scx-10 owner Txraptor Axial SCX-10 1 05-26-2013 10:30 AM
New SCX Honcho owner, let the modding beging Soundlzrd Axial SCX-10 12 02-22-2013 05:50 AM
Soon to be owner neoakaj Tamiya XC/CC01 38 02-02-2010 02:15 AM
Soon to be CC owner soundcolor Duratrax Cliff Climber 1 08-06-2009 03:33 PM
New XC owner; not many here, but just saying HI and some ???. chinook General Scale Talk 2 08-10-2006 01:03 PM