Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: JK on the cheap!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Talking JK on the cheap!

I bought a 2012 scx10 Rubicon after months of researching. I have stock electronics in her running on 2s, stock: chassis, suspension, and wheels. Now what i've done/whats in it:
Threadlocked driveline screws
Put those handy pull tabs on all the cotter pins
Mirrored the transmission, and attached my ESC on the motor side to further combat torque twist
Moved battery up above the servo in the front
Switched front suspension to 4 link with included "RTR' parts and 'A' purchased screw- highly recommended $0.10 mod
Plasti-dipped wheels and windshield to flat black
Switched out connectors to Deans
Inverted driveshafts
Waterproofed servo and ballooned electronics
Installed a Proline PL-C floor pan from RPP and plasti-dipped that as well
Put in basic led light kit from Axial
Moved receiver box to rear (i felt the front was too unbalanced on steep slopes and i 'hoped' this would center the weight a little better
Level 3RC dual motor mount (single motor at the moment)
Level 3RC front steering link and axle guards
Tried using their CMS mount but something would always bind or limit articulation

Mirrored tranny, dual motor mount
[IMG][/IMG]

Headlights on, Black windshield with wipers of course!
[IMG][/IMG]

Rear wheel well, it was my first attempt at doing anything with Lexan and i wanted the body to come off and on easily so i left somewhat of a gap. Also cannot stand faux piggyback so i changed the end to a standard shock cap.
[IMG][/IMG]

Rear lights, the 5th wheel was annoying when in the rocks so i removed it and the mount off the bumper, i used a piece of heatshrink to tie the remaining stub wheel mount to the rest of the frame. Also put a "nozzle" on the fuel filler cap on the fuel cell using 2 stroke fuel line inner with heatshrink outter (probably cant see this)
[IMG][/IMG]

Side shot. Dollar Store: paint for the fire extinguisher and also, the driver used a small hose clamp to attach fire extinguisher to the frame. Lost my driver side mirror bashing in the woods
[IMG][/IMG]

Inside the body, top right shows the connectors i wired the headlights to to quick disconnect Two different head light housings Both from two different cheapo home depot headlamps (i seriously have about 10 headlamps) and one of them didn't work anyhow
[IMG][/IMG]

Whole shot of the electronics. That light in the background is a Ryobi utility light which ive strapped to the truck many a time for lighting (before i installed axial kit anyway)
[IMG][/IMG]

Aluminum steering link and axle guards (they obviously limit clearance but i like them enough to keep them on for now), yellow lenses on white fog light led
[IMG][/IMG]

Front wheel well
[IMG][/IMG]

Front Stance. Lost a large yellow lens for the driver side fog light on the beach in the rocks at night so using the smaller one from the parts tree
[IMG][/IMG]

At least its hard to tell when the lights are on..
[IMG][/IMG]

Undercarriage! Inverted drive shafts
[IMG][/IMG]

This was my first Hobby RC though ive been constructing and destructing electronics, toys, tools etc for a while now! Didn't wanna photobomb the thread too much this is my first post and my first time linking pictures so hope it works..but i have more pictures if anyone wants to see more. I love this truck and ive had no regrets as being my first RC Let me know what you think or if you have ideas..i certainly do but no real point of droning on about the future, will post as i go! I do need a new suspension though, realized there was but maybe a drop in the shocks when i was replacing the caps and i doubt it left the factory like that I've had my eye on those G Made TRUE piggy backs anyways... Well.. Thanks for looking! Much credit is due to people on this forum for a lot of my ideas i just cant track em all down now
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Post Re: JK on the cheap!

Thanks Nate. Well its been a cold snowy NY winter but i got the truck out, heres some more pictures.

Sunset on the beach
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pushin' snow.. need tracks in this
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pushin' on through
[IMG][/IMG]

Ice Skating
[IMG][/IMG]

Snowed up wheel wells doing their job
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: JK on the cheap!

Also got on some rocks after these pictures, there's some pretty sizable ones on the beach but it was dark and bitter cold by that time so i don't have any pictures. I can say that the esc and the receiver placement work out awesome and it is immensely more stable since i moved them!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb Re: JK on the cheap!

I was running my truck a couple hours ago and when i would get say, 40 feet away the truck would cut out. The lights were still on as the battery wasn't dead and i didn't trip the lipo cutoff it just stopped getting my throttle/steering input. When i walked closer, approximately within 20 ft, everything would respond again. It did this every time i did the "experiment". Also when i was up close, every once in a while, it would do the same thing. So.. it did this last time i was out but, i had thought it was an isolated incident (maybe there's some interference somehow), but alas no, this is a permanent issue. I tried rebinding the radio obviously, a couple times but no cure. So i decided to call Axial and spoke with their technician Mike over in Illinois. Explained the whole situation and he instructed me to take a picture of my receipt and send it over in a email with the problem and they will send me a new receiver (not sure about the transmitter), that easy. Awesome. I also told him how when i changed my shock caps there was but a drop of oil in my bodies and he said sending over a bottle of shock fluid would not be a problem! Anyways i had to do a write up for anyone else having these issues or maybe other issues, don't be hesitant about giving these guys over there a call, they're super helpful and i'll forever look to Axial if they make any of the products i am in the market for.

Last edited by autonomous; 01-30-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would a range test of the radio with the new Rx. Could be your Tx also.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Why aren't you running two motors yet?
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
Why aren't you running two motors yet?
Money of course Tiny. I want to run two, better quality, 20T motors on a 14T or 16T pinion, and im going to need a new ESC also with a motor limit of at least 10T.. so money is the only thing stopping me, any donations can be addressed to Autonomous.. jk, thanks for taking interest anyway.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
I would a range test of the radio with the new Rx. Could be your Tx also.
and yea Kingmeow, definitely going to do that when i get the new receiver in.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I would say you got moisture in your receiver. Thats exactly the same thing that happened to mine. I felt like a little kid again, out in the back yard, playing with my tethered r/c from the dollar store haha.
13in. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13in. View Post
I would say you got moisture in your receiver. Thats exactly the same thing that happened to mine. I felt like a little kid again, out in the back yard, playing with my tethered r/c from the dollar store haha.
I thought about that, but I had opened the case up before I got close to water and filled it with dielectric grease, and then double balooned it on top of that. Not to say it isn't possible but damn if water got thru that on only a few runs n never submerging the truck to the level of the receiver then damn! Might have to dip the next one smh.
at least she still runs I haven't had to run a dollar store rc to get my fix! Lol
Old 02-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I was bored and messing around past couple days, exploring the forums and ran into quite a few good tricks on this site and a couple "car model" websites and did a few simple things on the interior..

[IMG][/IMG]

Rear view mirror made out of some spare lexan and wrapped thin heatshrink around it, and the mount i used a "junk" piece off one of my parts trees (the extra plastic), and then some spare mirror sticker i had left over (the outside of the actual mirror cutouts have stick backing as well. The shifter and transfer case shifter are probably obviously, sewing pins with standard ball ends..i tried making shifter boots but just wasnt coming out good (tried baloon end, and heatshrink around a unwound spring- which wouldve worked well but the heatshrink i have left sucks will update when i get some good stuff. Lastly the can in the cupholder made out of piece of round plastic off of a audio connector actually, heatshrinked and used a mirror sticker on top cut with an exacto to have a mouth opening . Like i said, i was bored, and these are simple "mods". I was trying to do an interior with some spare foam and faux leather material i had from a jewelry box but the stock lexan interior is just so far from real it wasn't looking any better (wish axial sculpted the seats a bit better and put real individual buckets like in other models o well). The shifter idea i got from the "tips and tricks" section in one of the forums on this site-just search. And a few more pictures..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The 'nerf' bars were just an idea i had, made 'em out of square foam so it was hard to make them round. Currently seeking an alternative.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Rock Crawlin on the beach

[IMG][/IMG]

Muddin'

[IMG][/IMG]

Warm weather after snow + dirt = messy fun

[IMG][/IMG]
I had a family watching me for the 15 minutes i was doing donuts and jumping a snow pile in the mud, a father and his 2 children- daughter and son. The kids were in awe and when i drove up the hill where they were, the father had only one question; what voltage is that? haha guess he liked the RAW POWER 2k14 . Then as i was driving i had an old man probably in his 70-80's comment how capable the truck was and how it could do what the real jeep could. It was like music to my ears couldn't help but be proud

After carnage pose

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Aside from that i been hearing some chatter about Axial releasing a new model in the near future, so i went on their website and if you haven't been in the past few days check out the Youtube videos in this link: Axial Racing - Falken SCX10™ Jeep® Wrangler G6 build
It's a Falken tire branded rock buggy and is quite capable of scaling some Big A$S rocks with some impressive speed. Solid axle front and rear with King Shocks on all corners.. Could this be in the future!? "strokes chin" ..
Old 02-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous View Post
Aside from that i been hearing some chatter about Axial releasing a new model in the near future, so i went on their website and if you haven't been in the past few days check out the Youtube videos in this link: Axial Racing - Falken SCX10™ Jeep® Wrangler G6 build
It's a Falken tire branded rock buggy and is quite capable of scaling some Big A$S rocks with some impressive speed. Solid axle front and rear with King Shocks on all corners.. Could this be in the future!? "strokes chin" ..
Did I miss something? where did you get this info from?I didn't see anything about a new rig in those videos.Where's it give a description of the rig?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
RCC Addict

My guess is the same exact G6 kit..Maybe some falkon branded tires..ehhhh. time will tell
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Tiny- im talking about the specs of the full size buggy in the videos. I have no idea if Axial will make a scale 1:10 version of it, Im just wondering myself! One can dream eh? Would be quite a departure from what they've released
Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
My guess is the same exact G6 kit..Maybe some falkon branded tires..ehhhh. time will tell
Yeah im with you on that Sharky seems to be a lot of re-brands lately, and they did do up an SCX10 in the Falken guise as a tribute i guess..

A G6 rather*
Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous View Post
Tiny- im talking about the specs of the full size buggy in the videos. I have no idea if Axial will make a scale 1:10 version of it, Im just wondering myself! One can dream eh? Would be quite a departure from what they've released
Oh ok....Got ya
Old 02-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Maybe a RTR G6. With the new tires and paint.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
Maybe a RTR G6. With the new tires and paint.
That would be cool
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote