Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: ScxH3 Hard body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default ScxH3 Hard body

1/23/14
I am gonna rebuild my scx10 g6 with 2 runs on it for a h3 body I got for 7 bucks at goodwill today.

The kit love seeing a nice new box!

after its first snow run.

I'm never happy with stock so i started modding. I'm going to keep a build thread in here of my truck.

Ill post more pics after work of my current progress. Its half in pieces now but I have a few ideas.
Got a bunch of stuff from Jc auto design coming.

My bumper and winch rc4wd

My current front axle. It has a level 3 rc panhard and cms kit but i dont like it anymore. i ordered mounts from JC Auto.

Im running a smaller battery and pen spring in the shocks.

I shortened a wraith axle. I think i will be running a set of these later. Jc auto is making me new link mounts all around so when i get that figured out ill probably switch them over.

Oh im have a spektrum dx5e radio that i am modding to work easily with a crawler. I can add it here or start another thread for it. let me know.

7in wide 14in long 10 in wheelbase

I'm thinking of making it a truck. heres my progress tonight.
I discovered that the frame and wheel base is too long. I'm taking 10mm off the rear and 7mm off the front so the chassis isnt too long.
That means ill be doing custom links too.
Heres my body progress so far

2 door

4 door truck

12/24/13
Ok im not done for the night so here is my progress so far.

I cut it to be a 2 door h3 t.

I picked up some material for the bed.

going to put on some crome trim along the base of the truck!!

Ill have more as i go. I had cut the tailgate off and was going to use it for a back window but i didn't realize that it was narrower and i just don't think i can make it work. So i am going to fab the back window and the bed from styrene. This is my first hard body and first time working with styrene. Not sure how ill do. But ill do my best.
1/25/14
here's a pic of the first filler coat. Of course I hate sanding but I'll get it done. I shaved the back door handles off and I'm filling that seam on the rear fenders too. hope it looks good when I'm done. I picked out the color. Its gonna be a metallic bronze. its basicly like a dark silver. I'll picture the paint can later.

1/26/14

Before

After

Well i got it sanded, Did a second coat, And then primed it. Im going to do this metalic paint and im thinking a black stripe or a maybe some red accents. NOt really sure after that. I do have some dingo fender flares im going to see how they look on it too. Ill update after I paint the body. Oh Im putting a roll on bedliner in the back and a tonneau cover.

Still alot to do but im done with the body for a while im gonna go to work on the truck for a while.

Last edited by jh1985; 01-26-2014 at 09:02 PM.
jh1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: ScxH3 Hard body

Ok this is where i am at right now. Ill post updates as i get them done. Thanks I would like any opinions.

I just moved this here Because i was i the wrong section.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks good. I like that you went ahead and hacked off everything below the grill up front. You thinking about hacking off that back bumper or let it stay and save yourself the headache of having to build that to?
Hulldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulldiver View Post
looks good. I like that you went ahead and hacked off everything below the grill up front. You thinking about hacking off that back bumper or let it stay and save yourself the headache of having to build that to?
I have the piece below the bumper. forgot to paint it so i didnt put it back on yet. not sure if im keping it or not. Im thinkin of chopping the rear off when i find a good rear bumper for it.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

jh1985, i honestly didnt think it was going to look good when i started the thread, but as i scrolled down man you actually pulled off a hummer pickup truck and that is impressive..kudos man, maybe blackout the chrome on the truck? The metallic paint would shine more imo
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous View Post
jh1985, i honestly didnt think it was going to look good when i started the thread, but as i scrolled down man you actually pulled off a hummer pickup truck and that is impressive..kudos man, maybe blackout the chrome on the truck? The metallic paint would shine more imo
Thanks alot I didnt think id pull it off ethier. I had a parma silverado on standby. I didnt want it to look like all these other hummers. wanted to be different.
Any tips on how to black out the chrome? That sounds cool. I'm thinking when i buy the roll on bed liner of doing the rockers and fender flares.

Last edited by jh1985; 01-26-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

OK I did a bit of frame work and some body pics. I put the g6 seats and dash in. I still have a lot of detail to finish but it looks OK. it will look good once I fill in the gaps at the top of the dash.

I need to figure out link lengths. not sure how to do it. I got the bottom measured not the top. bottom rear 58mm and bottom front 82 mm top front 3 link 115mm.
Here's the pics.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forum Fiend v1.1.7.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ok here are some mock-up pictures.
I am thinking about Maybe smaller Tires. Im not sure, I have fender flares coming they might make it look better. I got the bottom of the bed in the corragated styrene.

I saved the springs from the original new bright. They were very soft. So i trimmed them to length and installed them on the shocks. Its going to have a nice suspension. I like the silver color too.

Well I really could use some input Not sure which direction to do.

Should i remove the spare tire cover and smooth it out or leave it or put a real tire in its place???

Last edited by jh1985; 01-27-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

You have done a great job on the body work. You really pulled off the 2 door look with it. I think it would look great with a real spare on the back. Keep up the good work!
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota2 View Post
You have done a great job on the body work. You really pulled off the 2 door look with it. I think it would look great with a real spare on the back. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, now i need to find someone with a single tire and rim.
I got the fender flares there huge. Not gonna work
Old 01-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I think a real spare would look cool to but your going to have to move it up a lot or cut that bumper out. You could hack off the tailgate and make a "tiregate"

Hulldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulldiver View Post
I think a real spare would look cool to but your going to have to move it up a lot or cut that bumper out. You could hack off the tailgate and make a "tiregate"

I really like that Im gonna look into how to braze or solder to make a steel or brass frame tail gate. If i figure out how to maybe i could make a cage for the truck.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Ok so Ive been waiting for parts going nuts thinking about this thing. I got really pissed off at my body work. It just wasnt good enough. And I hated the color on that truck. So heres What i did.

This is what started it. A mock up with smaller tires. Im thinking bigger than these but smaller than the maxxis trepador. I could use a few suggestions. No bigger than 4 inches id say.

Shaved door handles and mirrors. Ill get nice one that look real!

smoothed the grooves from the roof. They didnt look right with the back cut off.
Smoothed the tail gate and removed rear spare tire mount. And filled the 2 lines behind the rear fender.

Now For paint I'm thinking I'm going the blue i originally bought for the chevy body i was going to use.
And some graphics masks to try my first custom paint Job. Not sure what color to do them tho. Open to ideas for everything.