Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Rubicon: Project Orange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SCX10 Rubicon: Project Orange

Influential threads:
Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project

Bender's SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Badger's Axial SCX10 Jeep JK w/ VP Currie Rock Axles

Electronics:
- Tekin FXR
- 35t Motor
- Hitec crap servo. Waiting until it goes and then will upgrade
- FlySky GT3-C

Axial SCX10 Rubicon Kit

I've replaced the upper links with the diy allthread and aluminum tubing.

This is my first scale build and I've learned a lot so far. Especially with soldering these past couple days.

Soldering, while seems easy can be difficult. One very important thing to remember is keeping the tip clean and "tinned". I found an old instructional video from Pace which helped me understand what's what.

Basic Soldering Lesson 1 - "Solder & Flux" - YouTube

Here are a few pics of how I setup the wiring. Inspired by the above builds, I went for a traxxas receiver box, Traxxas Receiver Box TRA3924 to house the Tekin. I had to extend the receiver connection wires to the front of the rig and still need to get some heat shrink around them. Up front I have the receiver and BEC in the supplied box. My goal is to keep everything clean so wires have been shortend instead of being bunched up. I glued a set of old TSW's onto the Axial supplied wheels as there are other wheels currently being acquired to house the Trepadors. . . Again, influenced by the aforementioned threads.

A few pics from the wiring phase.

Last edited by nsimps; 02-09-2014 at 10:52 AM.
nsimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SCX10 Rubicon: Project Orange

Realized I never posted any pics of the actual rig!

Had a few hours, well most of the afternoon to work on Project Orange yesterday and spent that time working on lighting. I attempted Pham's way of hooking up the headlights and learned a lot. One of my headlights points up and the other is pretty spot on. I wish Axial sold the headlight plastic all by itself. I called, they don't :(

I used a gel epoxy from Home Depot, the Loctite 6 Min Multipurpose Gel Epoxy.

It works really well so far and we'll see how it holds up with abuse. I then proceeded to wire in my lights. This part required patience and after a lot of time, some soldering, heat shrink and a few tie wraps it was done.

Overall I'm pleased with the outcome and can't wait to get on the trail!

While I was doing all the wiring/lighting I also painted the outside of the top to get that flat black look. After much research and question asking at the LHS I bought the last can of Pactra Backing Color that they had and gave it a shot. Perfection! So awesome now that the top looks like it should. On the Pactra lexan paint subject, I painted the rig Pactra's Competition Orange and there's a few mistakes so I bought another can from the same LHS. I'll probably buy the other 2 cans left because from what I understand Pactra's lexan line is no-more.

Onto some pics.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

A few more pics of the top and the light bucket setup.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #4

Looks nice. I'm a sucker for orange paint jobs and started on a new Honcho body last night in that color. Nice job on the lights also.
Strgazr27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strgazr27 View Post
Looks nice. I'm a sucker for orange paint jobs and started on a new Honcho body last night in that color. Nice job on the lights also.

Thanks! Yeah I really like this orange, will probably do another one in the summer when the temp is better for painting outside. The color was originally influenced by a Jeep that was showing up at the office for a couple weeks. . .

Last edited by nsimps; 02-16-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Changed "URL" to "IMG"
Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Made myself a cardboard lightbox today and did some testing. Lots to learn before these pictures start looking decent but still fun!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #7

Looks good. Any other plans for it?
ROCKCRAWLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

where did you get these light buckets?
TJ36s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ36s View Post
where did you get these light buckets?
I got them from RC Planet that happens to also be Canyon Hobbies here in Utah. I was able to just go pick them up. This was the only place that had them in stock.Integy Roof Top Angle Adjustable Sport Light Set (INTC23220) | RC Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKCRAWLIN View Post
Looks good. Any other plans for it?
Thanks! Yeah I plan on adding more Vanquish goodies as budget allows, better shocks(still haven't decided which, maybe Prolines), probably some PitBull RockBeast tires and adjust wiring as needed. I actually need to move my BEC power wires all the way to the ESC because they are limiting me from plugging in the battery without taking the body off.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

So maybe I picked up a Tekin Gen 2 with a 17.5t motor. Got it from the local classifieds for a screamin' deal that I just couldn't pass up. Wasn't planning on going brushless so soon but the price was right.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by atencio View Post
dang your rig looks exactly like the real one in the picture.
Thanks! I've really enjoyed building this one and have even more fun driving it
Old 02-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

What do you mean by cardboard light box?

BuIlT nOt BaUgHT!
509hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #13

very nice what did u use for the headlights?
KuyaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509hooligan View Post
What do you mean by cardboard light box?

BuIlT nOt BaUgHT!
Here's a pic of what I did. Took a box big enough to fix the rig, then cut square holes on the sides and top. I bought some gift box tissue paper to diffuse the light coming in from the lamps and also picked up a roll of white paper at Michael's craft store. Seems to work decently for under 10.00 spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuyaMark View Post
very nice what did u use for the headlights?

Thanks! I used a set of Integy light buckets from RC Planet. One of their storefronts is local to me and they had them in stock but now I can't find them to link to. However I did find these which are very similar just with black surrounds.

Alloy Roof Top Spot Light Set (4) LED White w/ Metal Housing for 1/10, 1/8 & 1/5 for R/C or RC - Team Integy
Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

So the first time I tried this video out the sound ended up a little weird because of the song I used. Not wanting to re-do the video and find a new song I tried the upload again and it now works better.

This is from last weekend In St. George Utah and Cedar City Utah. We went to Pioneer Park in St. George and Three Peaks in Cedar City. By far the best places we've gone so far!

Hope you enjoy the video and please let me know how you like it.

Axial SCX10 St George Utah - YouTube
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Are those omf wheels?

BuIlT nOt BaUgHT!
509hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:19 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509hooligan View Post
Are those omf wheels?

BuIlT nOt BaUgHT!

They are
Old 03-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Picked up another SCX10 last weekend. This time a rtr Honcho from the local classifieds. My wife already drives the Wraith but my sister in law hangs out with us quite a bit and I wanted her to have something to drive as well.

These things are so fun!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Went to my first comp last month and found lots of things that needed improving to perform better.

- Better foams for the Treppadors
- Heavier weight oil in the rear shocks and pre-compress with tie wrap
- rebuild front shocks
- Acquire winch
- better front steering (more angle)
- OD gear set in front

I've been able to address a few of these things so far but still working on others.

Tire foams: I bought a set of Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild Single Stage Closed Cell for 1.9 Pit Bull Mad Beast. These really did some good for the tires and I noticed great improvement with grip. I did need to vent the tires by putting 4 2mm holes equally spread apart. I put them in the center of the tire tread.

Rear Shocks: I used some 80w oil in both the rear shocks. I also put a tie wrap around the top links and the frame support. Seems to have helped with getting up the steep stuff.

Winch: I bought the RC4WD Warn 9.5cti winch when it came back in stock. This winch does NOT come with a control. I'm still trying to decide what to do there and will more than likely go with a HeyOk control. I'm running 7.4volts to my front servo and will need to make sure I have that capacity with the winch controller I end up using. Fortunately I do have a Gen 2 kicking around so for the moment, that's controlling the winch and it works great. I have not suspended the rig in the air from the winch and don't plan to on purpose but for everything else it has worked great. Been out a couple times and winched up a few tough spots and no failure yet. I did have the line jump off the spool cylinder and had to take it apart to unspool the line. I took the opportunity to take a few pics of what's inside...

Pics of Warn Winch:

Pic of how I mounted from the underside. If you look closely you can see the front bolts hidden behind the bumper light bucket. A tight fit but it will work.

Front Steering: Since I'm comping this rig I decided to go the CMS (chassis mounted servo) route. I used the following thread as a starting point. Clicky

Here's what I did differently. No modifications to the shock mount. After trimming the frame support back to be flush with the frame rail, I used the 3mm x 15mm bolt and threaded it through. This worked great because it is actually threaded through both the frame support and get's the nut on the shock mount side as well for strength. I also flipped the servo mounts and drilled new holes at the bottom of the servo plate. Then I had to clear out a little off the bottom of the plate to clear the servo arm. (I'm using the Axial aluminum servo arm which is in my opinion the only one to go with). I then mounted the servo plate and servo to the plate. The link I made for the stock SCX10 c-hubs and knuckles is 91.50mm eye to eye using Traxxas rod ends. So far I've left the 4 link suspension up front and haven't had any binding. Since I'm not doing trail runs yet the bumpsteer isn't an issue (and I haven't noticed any yet anyway with crawling). Eventually I'd like to get a pan hard setup but there's other goodies I'd like to spend my budget on at the moment.

Onto the pics for the CMS:

Hope this helps anyone else contemplating the diy cms mod. Please note that I'm doing slow crawling on rocks, not necessarily trail running so I have not accurately tested for bump steer during higher speed.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Had a chance to take a few pics of some recent updates.

My LHS had a RC4WD CMS kit and since it comes with everything needed including the panhard and links I went for it. Install went smooth and the kit is very nice.

Next up was the XR10 Steering Mod. I was really excited about this one and couldn't wait to put it together. I used a fresh axle housing for this one. To clear the CMS links easier the two servo mount posts were cut down flush and the one plugged with a 3mm short screw. The ends of the housing were shaved down to accomodate the splined XR10 C-Hubs. I also put holes in the front and back for mounting points. I used Wraith knuckles and got a set of new zero ackermans. The other steering mount points were cut to allow full range of steering.

I highly highly recommend this mod. It's really how this thing should have been setup from the beginning!

While I was in the axle I threw in overdrive gears as I am using this as a comp rig.

Other mods include a new set of Pit Bull Rock Beasts and I made a Pull Pal from a little piece of angle iron, barstock and some flat stock. It was difficult to weld with the basic mig welder I have and it's pretty rough but it works.

Added some more lights. Rock Lights under the rear part of the body to give a little more light to the wheel wells and 4 in the cage to give some light around the the rig. With those added it maxes out my controller. I plan on getting a small 2cell 800mah battery to run this on a simple switch that will be mounted on the dash or something so I'm not draining the main battery.

And before I forget, got a cooler, axe and a high lift jack(needs to be painted black before mounting on the hood. The red clashes with the orange).

Onto the pics:

SCX10 Rubicon: Project Orange - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TC's "Orange-Crush" 2012 Axial Rubicon Big Tex Axial SCX-10 8 04-08-2013 08:22 AM
Project: Orange JK, Scx10 Rubicon Hypn0t1q79 Axial SCX-10 9 01-07-2013 09:20 PM
Scx10 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Project alexcreation Axial SCX-10 0 11-22-2012 05:22 AM
Kyosho Rock Force - Project Black Orange (modified) duddits Kyosho Crawlers 7 06-11-2009 04:49 AM
project orange oh no now what.... budleyh Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 09-13-2008 05:55 PM