Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My first crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My first crawler

Hi, I'm Millzee. Thanks for all the great input on this forum.
Last week I built the wrangler G6 and took it for a few runs with the castle SCT combo, sidewinder V3 with a 1410 3800kv motor and found it to be ok but even with the esc settings turned right down, it was a tad too punchy. I moved the battery tray to the front and found that going up hill was much better although downhill was a bit tricky as it wanted to endo and roll forwards down the hill. So far all I've upgraded is the wheels to a set of Pro-Line Interco TSL SX Super Swamper XL 1.9's on axial beadlocks.
I was running the speedo settings at: Timing - 0 Lowest, Max Forward - 70%, Max Reverse - 40%, Punch Control - 90%, Braking - 40%, Drag Brake - 80%. I put a slight curve on both the throttle and brake but found that the truck would go a bit quick, even on a flat surface it would endo a bit when dropping back to neutral throttle. I adjusted the drag brake down until it was slightly rolling downhill but it would still endo making it extremely hard to drive on hills.
Today I ordered a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 540 45T motor and Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster ESC (Water proof) speedo so I'll get them fitted up when they arrive and go testing in the spots I've found to see the difference. I'm also thinking of rigging up a battery set up using two 2200mAh, one on each side of the motor/transmission to try lowering the COG and keep it centred.
Here's a few pics

And here's a video of it's first run followed by a short video of my young fella driving
Brushless Axial Scx10 G6 - YouTube
Axial G6 Wrangler brushless - YouTube

Last edited by millzee; 01-27-2014 at 03:59 AM.
millzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My first crawler

You will like the HH combo much better,you will have much better control.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

What do most guys run with that combo, 2s or 3s?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Volt up and gear down! 3s lipo will give some wheel speed when you need it. And obviously gear down for torque.
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks mate, will do!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #6

Hi Danny
Bennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hi benny, you just can't loose me hey!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Hi Danny

love the G6 mate

still waiting on my HH combo

they don't say much here hey,lol
neobaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:01 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

The mail man delivered a few packages today so I got in and made a few changes,
Now I understand about the power and torque needs of a crawler, the power deliver extremely smooth and now the truck gets over the rock garden with ease instead of bouncing across it and rolling over. The speed is a much better walking pace which I don't think my boy's will enjoy so much but it'll be awesome for me. I've made a couple of battery holders on the sides of the motor to centre the weight, I found it was back flipping with a 5000mAh up back and endo rolling down hill with it up forward. I'll run 2x 2200mAh 35-70c Nano's to give me a good long walk. Now I'm really loving this truck.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I took the truck for a good hour and a half crawl test last night and I'm really happy with the holmes combo and battery set up. It craws much better both up and down hills and can tackle obstacles much better that with the castle set up in it. I'm really loving this truck now set up like this, my new favourite toy. My son's and I have found some great areas within only a few minutes walk so it'll be getting a lot of use from here on in.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

That's a good looking rig, with a killer power train now. It's amazing how easy & fun it is dialing in these scalers to your personal driving style.
AZINDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #12

just a suggestion but traxxas makes a y connector so you can connect and disconnect your batteries with ease
i use the on my 1/16th e revo running 4 s its a monster backflips all day long
s.p.crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thanks mate, but what's wrong with my 2x ec3's leading to an ec5 at the battery?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:53 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I received a set of 2.2 rims with the .850" hubs today that I've fitted up with a set of ripsaw tires that I got with the wraith. I'm waiting get the powerstroke shocks and 11mm hub extenders and am hoping that with a bit of playing around I'll be able to get good clearance around the body. The rear seems like it should be pretty right but the front will be a little more of a challenge. The wheels should help lower the weight to keep the wheels on the surface. If I have to change out the axial to make it work I will but I'll try a few cheaper options first, we'll see how it goes. I don't really care about the "scale" aspect, to me it's more about stability and not rolling over.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:17 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I managed to get the truck back together now with the carbon steel driveshaft front and rear, the set of 11mm extenders that needed to be dremeled out a fraction to fit the axial pins and the new wheels that have the .850" extended hubs. I'll need to get out and run it but at this point it looks like it should handle the 2.2 wheels ok. I'm going to run the stock gearing that's in it and just keep checking electronic temps. I removed the tip corners from the front bumper so they won't catch the wheel at full lock.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

As said on the wraith thread, yesterday got a lot better with the arrival of the powerstroke shocks. I made up some upper shock mounts with 5mm carbon sheet and have given them plenty of adjustment holes to try out. Once I've found the "happy place" for the truck I'll re make the mounts to look a bit prettier than they do now with less holes.

My first crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Micro Crawler Crawler-X SMC Plus Chassis Plus A Ton Of Stuff See Video stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 05-14-2012 01:31 AM
Difference in AX10, Night Crawler, and Comp Crawler final gear ratios? shelljeep Newbie General 11 02-05-2010 12:48 AM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM