Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: shock options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default shock options

so ive read alot on the stock axial shocks and how there not good at all. so ive been looking into getting new shocks. my question is figuring out which ones.

Ive looked into the kings 90mm shock, proline 90mm shocks, and also the axial icon shocks.

doesn anybody have any opinions on the 3 and what size i should run?
thanks
mallcrawler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: shock options

The stock ones aren't terrible, they just leak.

I run the icons and they are great and dont leak. Also run Gmade XD aerations and Diaphragms in 93mm length and they dont leak but they're bigger so not as scale looking, but work great. They also have a little less travel than the stock shocks but not by much.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
jpf
Quarry Creeper

the shocks can bee shit. but the Icons are a stock shock to, if you got the jeep kit;)

... JP using Tapatalk
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
The stock ones aren't terrible, they just leak.

I run the icons and they are great and dont leak. Also run Gmade XD aerations and Diaphragms in 93mm length and they dont leak but they're bigger so not as scale looking, but work great. They also have a little less travel than the stock shocks but not by much.
what size icons are you running? stock 90mm?
Old 01-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallcrawler24 View Post
what size icons are you running? stock 90mm?
The only Icons I know of are the ones from axial or the ones that come with the JK or G6 scx10 kit. So they are the same size as the stock plastic shocks.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

You can reduce the leaking of the stock shocks using the tips in this thread.
Tech Thread -- SCX10 shocks

If you use the Duratrax bladders you can put the bladder and top cap on first and then fill and bleed from the bottom. This helps keep the bladder in place.
This video for the XR10 shocks shows the process.
Axial Racing - XR10 Build – Part 3 – Shocks and Links

I am running the Proline Powerstroke Scalers on one of my SCX-10's and they work really well with no problems with leaking so far. If you go with the Proline scalers, get the Universal Shock Mounting kit for the upper pivot balls. It is part #6063-05
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

I've won many a comp running the old stock Axial plastic shocks with no oil in them.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Im running G-Transitions set up for 70% droop. Love these shocks
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I've won many a comp running the old stock Axial plastic shocks with no oil in them.
Yeah my oilless scx10's do well
Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

If you head over to crawlanz there's an amazing write up by Hulksta on how to rebuild the scx shocks. This guy really knows his shock tech. I did the rebuild minus changing the springs out. Pretty impressive results.
flarezfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Yeah my oilless scx10's do well
so really there is no point in up grading for a while? or really just if you want to spend the money.

right now my honcho has only 4 hours of run time on it. but ive been told to up grade the suspension. and i like the look of the kings shocks but want to make sure they are worth the money before i spend that type of money on shocks.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Other than being known for leaking which can be solved the axial shocks work very well as they were designed to do.
With proper spring pre-load and correct oil weight your stock shocks will perform as good as any other shock on the market.

If you want a little more travel remove the little rubber spacers on the shock shafts.

Save your money for better things.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

So far my icons are working great with no leaks. I have found with spring pre load I have been able to reduce wheel weights.
DIRTSLINGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

That's no leaks "YET" I'm waiting for it though.
DIRTSLINGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Other than being known for leaking which can be solved the axial shocks work very well as they were designed to do.
With proper spring pre-load and correct oil weight your stock shocks will perform as good as any other shock on the market.

If you want a little more travel remove the little rubber spacers on the shock shafts.

Save your money for better things.
yeah ive allready removed them. is there a thread about pre loading springs i should look into?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Im sure you can find some but its not a difficult task..The nuts that turn on your shocks are your pre load adjusters....Move it down and your springs get stiffer and can raise your trucks height as well.

Move it up and the spring gets softer..just find a happy medium so the truck doesn't bounce around over bumps but also allows for a smooth movement over obstacles...Move the nut all the way up and drive it..then start moving it down to see the effects it has...You will learn a lot by how your truck responds to adjustment..Thats the best way to learn..No one can say if you move it to this spot its perfect..Not all trucks are the same.

Axial uses a 30wt oil in the shocks from the factory if its an RTR..

Most tend to find a more softer set up to work best...I recommend trying 10wt oil in your shocks and play with the preload to dial it in.

If you have a Honcho where the battery is mounted over the axle then preload will be more on the front as it has more weight over the spring.
So preload will be different front to rear.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-29-2014 at 03:01 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Im sure you can find some but its not a difficult task..The nuts that turn on your shocks are your pre load adjusters....Move it down and your springs get stiffer and can raise your trucks height as well.

Move it up and the spring gets softer..just find a happy medium so the truck doesn't bounce around over bumps but also allows for a smooth movement over obstacles...Move the nut all the way up and drive it..then start moving it down to see the effects it has...You will learn a lot by how your truck responds to adjustment..Thats the best way to learn..No one can say if you move it to this spot its perfect..Not all trucks are the same.

Axial uses a 30wt oil in the shocks from the factory if its an RTR..

Most tend to find a more softer set up to work best...I recommend trying 10wt oil in your shocks and play with the preload to dial it in.

If you have a Honcho where the battery is mounted over the axle then preload will be more on the front as it has more weight over the spring.
So preload will be different front to rear.
this helps me alot. yeah im running the rtr honcho so ill look into gettting some different wt oil then see what i get.
thanks

shock options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock options? (or M3 ball for stock shock cap?) T3rry Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 01-07-2014 09:08 AM
shock options ovcrwlr Redcat Crawlers 4 06-19-2011 02:58 PM
Shock options......... BEELZEBOB Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 22 12-16-2009 11:08 AM
Shock Options ? upnover1 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 1 09-08-2008 06:45 PM
shock options for k2-3l dieselfuel Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 11-08-2006 01:25 PM